Thread: Marine Stereo/CD player help

Default Marine Stereo/CD player help

I am looking at buying a marine stereo/cd player for my boat. The face plate will be exposed as well as the speakers. Whatever I get I am planning in buying a retractable cover for the stereo unit. I have a bunch of Cabela's points so I would like to get one from there.

Any help is appreciated!

Default Style or music?

Which one are you going for? If it's style I suppose the best way is a dash mounted unit, but I could see them not lasting too long with the pounding and salt air and such. Otherwise I would get a decent amp and good marine speakers, and use a cheap mp3 player and plug it into the amp. I wouldn't use an Ipod with a hardrive, I'm not sure how the harddrive would do with all the pounding, I like to use the cheap ones that have internal memory or an sd card. This has been my stereo of choice for about 2 years now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I am looking at buying a marine stereo/cd player for my boat. The face plate will be exposed as well as the speakers. Whatever I get I am planning in buying a retractable cover for the stereo unit. I have a bunch of Cabela's points so I would like to get one from there.

Any help is appreciated!
    Yukon,

Personally, I think the technology has evolved to the point that all of them are nearly identical inside. Features and brand name are what you are paying for. I have had a regular old Sony head (50w x 4) with regular old Sony 6x9s in my C-Dory 22 for a long time and have no problems, but that is in a cabin, in the water proof mount you'd think it would be just about as good. My speakers would not hold up outside, but they are not marine speakers. I bet a good marine radio will work really well for you. I know you said Cabela's ,but Sportsman's Warehouse in the valley has a nice looking one you can leave with on the same day. I think it even comes as a package with speakers - but I didn't look that closely at it. Good Luck!

I had a "Dual" brand (weird name) system with only two speakers, I bought basicly the same thing again a few years later that came with four speakers and with an ipod plug-in. The old speakers are the same as the new. The deck is the only different component so I just added two more without "undoing" the ones already in place. I mounted a speaker outside up under the wall on the fish deck for more surround sound throughout the boat. I can plug my DVD player into the stereo for surround sound movies also. The system really sounds great and an amp is very unnescesary, plus could be one more electrical thing to fail. For only $199 it was a steal! (Trick to good sound is to build good speaker boxes.)

Thanks for the help guys, I haven't seen a system at the SW in Anchorage but I have asked the workers yet. I have an open willie predator and I am planning on mounting the stereo and speakers in the side of one of my seat boxes, the speakers will be very exposed so I need waterproof ones, and I will get a waterproof faceplate cover. I an not much of a stereo guy and know little about them, heck, I still have a stock AC Delco "system" in my 89 suburban!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I haven't seen a system at the SW in Anchorage but I have asked the workers yet. I have an open willie predator and I am planning on mounting the stereo and speakers in the side of one of my seat boxes, the speakers will be very exposed so I need waterproof ones, and I will get a waterproof faceplate cover. I an not much of a stereo guy and know little about them, heck, I still have a stock AC Delco "system" in my 89 suburban!
    Well, it sounds like that will work out well...Just don't take on too much water

Go to this forum:
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp

Review the section titled Marine Electronics. Many of these folks have installed stereos and they are honest and will tell you what brands have failed and what have worked. Seems the Clarions are thought highly of and they sell for about $120 on EBAY. Many opinions about speakers as well on this forum.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up CD player

I'll second the Dual brand CD player, Ive used mine for the last 2 seasons. one of the speakers quit, but was replaced under warrenty.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com