Thread: Griz Hunt

Default Griz Hunt

I have a crazy Yugoslavian friend coming who wants to kill a griz with a .30-06. I am not the crazy person to go with him, even with lots of firepower. I told him to get a guide, for my peace of mind, but he does not want to go out for a week, just a day, shoot and go. His equally crazy wife wants to go with him. Anyone know any good guides to take them out for a day or two?

Is he actually a resident of Yugoslavia? If so, he will be required by law to have a guide. In fact, even if he is a resident of another state he is required to have a registered guide if hunting grizzly bear. Be aware, though, that a guide for a grizzly bear will run thousands of dollars. Additionally, it is not very realistic to just go out and get a bear in a day. Though it happens sometimes, most guided bear hunts last anywhere from a week to ten days or more.

Default just my thoughts

If he is a resident of a foreign country, then he is considered an alien, and tag fees are more expensive than for a NR.

Default Griz hunt

I think I may have a solution ot your dilemna. Upon reading your freind's request & expectations I suggest you go to Wal-MArt and buy a paper target of a bear, place it 50 yds back in the bush. Then take him for a walk psat the target, point and yell "there's a bear". Obviously he has no clue about bears and /or bear hunting so he won't know the difference.

I can't wait to become a resident so that I can git a Griz with my bow! Call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Call me crazy.
    OK! CRAZY!

My friend is actually a resident of Alaska, but spends half the year in the Carribean. The dilema is that he is used to little Ketchikan black bears that are big enough to make a pillow out of and now is a little brain washed into thinking a grizzy will go down the same, which is why I will not ever go with him. If he had a little back up besides his .30-06, okay, but personally think he will only get the bear pissed, give it ammo by getting it's adrenaline going so he can be lunch. I know that getting a bear in a day is not realistic. When I go hunting in southeast even for deer I allow a week. My stubborn friend will not entertain that idea due to brainwashing of the wonderful 'hunting channel,' which is only good for country club droputs trying to spend daddies money. So I say if that is what my friend wants to do is go for a day and maybe hire a guide for that day and waste his money, cool, he can say he did it and I can stop listening to him yap about it. All I need is a point in the right direction for a person who will do what he wants, he will pay for it and not think twice, it just has to be what he wants since he is so stubborn. I just need a contact for a day trip and can put him in touch so the two can discuss things.

Shoot , some of those Ketchikan black bears are bigger than grizzlies!

Default "little" Ketchikan black bears?

I'd be happy with one of those "little" bears any day. I grew up in NW Washington, so I know what a big black bear looks like. If you want to see a "little" black bear, come on up to the Interior. We have a few good size ones, but they're definitely the exception, and I've never seen one that approached the size of a good Washington, B.C., or SE Alaska black bear.

Default Griz in a day!

I must apologize for my earlier snide remarks. At least your not nieve about his chances. Perhaps the best thing for him to do is hire one of the many boat charters and cruise the coastline. Easy and great scenery!
    Good luck!

That's a good idea, thanx for the tip!

The big black bears are not in Ketchikan, but on Prince of Wales island. I did an alpine hunt a few years ago and saw bear piles that could fill a 5 gallon bucket and thought that I don't want to see the bear that caused that, then I saw one running out of the corner of my eye. It was the size of a Subaru. Then there was another one running around too!! I am born and raised in Ketchikan and have never seen a blackie as big as those, come to find out a year later POW is world famous for the size of their blackies, and I will hands down admit that they were HUGE!!!

Oh, the bears my friend gets ARE big enough to make a pillow out of. Let's just say he's recieved a few citations for things like that!

You sound like a wise lady for choosing not to hunt with someone of your friends description.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking yeh!

And it wouldn't suprise me that he'd go on some wham-bam, thank you maam, half hearted trip (I wouldn't really call it a hunt), and take a 12 footer. You know the drill?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

You are right on about the half-hearted hunt. The first (and last) time I took him out deer hunting in Southeast, I took him out in a very flat spot that barely elevates above sea level. He was so mad that he had to hike. It was then I realized that he thinks hunting is sitting in a tree stand waiting for the deer to walk by. If you don't have to work for it, it isn't worth it, so the charter boat idea is perfect for him I think. He can cruise the coastline drink his hot cocoa and the guide gets paid. Perfect for everyone.