Thread: Sheep hunting boots

Default Sheep hunting boots

I am looking for a good pair of sheep hunting boots, any help, advice and ideas would be appreciated?
    Thanks
    Dono

This topic generally boils down to:
    • Meindl or Cabelas Alaskan Hunters made by Meindl
    • Lowa Sheephunters or other Lowas
    • Scarpas
    • Kenetreks
    In my opinion you need to try on each and decide as everyone's feet are different. This is tough in Alaska.

Default Boots on the ground

I second the above sentiment... There are others out there and there are those that just use what they have.

The point I would make is that research is good but when it comes to something like boots you need to find a reputable dealer that knows their product and can properly assist you in finding the proper fit.

I spent an hour going through 4 sizes in 2 brands before I found what I believed to be the right boot. I then spent another hour with them laced up walking around the store. (ya it felt weird - but I'm the customer and at $200+ I'm gonna make sure) And even then it's a gamble... You can't replicate side hill'n, down hill'n, climbing and packing mega weight... Well I guess you could but who's gonna???

Then I spent 6 weeks walking nearly daily just to break them in..... the fit is now awesome and I won't wear another boot in the field.

My hunting partner bought his boot and took them home for an hour walk on the treadmill... That way they are still "returnable"... Which he did for another size...

Ps.. i opted for Scarpa Liskamm GTX

But don't take my word on it. You've got to find what fits you...

Two main things:

1. Leather or Plastic.... Last year I bought some Lowa Civetta plastics and like them in the rugged sheep country. My ankles need the solid lateral support. Especially side hilling with a heavy pack or "step sliding" down scree.

2. Finding ones that fit YOU. Lots of good mountaineering boots out there.

and a P.S.

Get some good foot beds. Either custom or quality off the shelf ones and some good socks (I like merino wool next to my skin.). Your foot needs a solid foundation with good support in the right places no matter what boot you have.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

If you are in the Anchorage area, I would HIGHLY recommend AMH (I think that is Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking). Buying boots there was the best footwear buying experience I have had in DECADES! Lots of help, very good advice, very patient on walk-around time, etc. To top it all off, they were selling the boots I bought (Lowa Sheep hunters) for a price right in line with what I was finding on the net.

BTW, the Lowa boots are awesome.

I didn't see any one mention Koflach, you might also want to consider those. I would either go with Koflach or Scarpa.

Default Thanks Everybody

Thanks for all the replies now I have a place to start looking. I think I am definitely going to check out the Lowa's and several others. And keep the advice coming I'm always open to something new?
    Thanks
    Dono

Default Also Try

Lathrop & Sons

Custom Made

Default Forgot to add

I need a size in 15 any ideas who would have sizes this big?
    Thanks
    Dono

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I need a size in 15 any ideas who would have sizes this big?
    Thanks
    Dono
    Lowa Civetta Extremes (plastics) are known for thier large sizes. Up to US 16.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/Sho...egory=1&Type=M
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Koflach

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    I didn't see any one mention Koflach, you might also want to consider those. I would either go with Koflach or Scarpa.
    Koflach is gone, like out of business, last year.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Thanks

Thanks again for all the input. I have decided to go to AMH and have them size me up and see what they say. I have been talking with them and Lowa for the last few days and I am leaning toward the Lowa Tibet GTX. Thanks for the advice and information it helped alot.
    Thanks
    Dono

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Thanks again for all the input. I have decided to go to AMH and have them size me up and see what they say. I have been talking with them and Lowa for the last few days and I am leaning toward the Lowa Tibet GTX. Thanks for the advice and information it helped alot.
    Thanks
    Dono
    Don't forget to try the Scarpas and the La Sportivas while your there... They make great boots as well. I am sure you know this but any boot is worthless unless if they fit your foot style....

You can buy Koflach boots all over, moutaineering stores sell them and darn near everyone who has an online mountaineering store.