Thread: Construction Material Via Aircraft?

Question Construction Material Via Aircraft?

I have just recieved word that I have been granted a Land Use Permit in 13-02. We are planning on using it for many years to come. So here is my question. I have been considering buying a Partial Pannel Construction Cabin to place here for clients and guides to use while hunting. I know there was a cabin there some time ago but can't quite figure out how they got the stove/oven, Large Propane tanks and the rest of the building materials into the camp. Its surounded by river with a good grass strip out front. Whats the cost per pound or per hour for a drop flight? What is the max weight per trip?

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrap View Post
    I have just recieved word that I have been granted a Land Use Permit in 13-02. We are planning on using it for many years to come. So here is my question. I have been considering buying a Partial Pannel Construction Cabin to place here for clients and guides to use while hunting. I know there was a cabin there some time ago but can't quite figure out how they got the stove/oven, Large Propane tanks and the rest of the building materials into the camp. Its surounded by river with a good grass strip out front. Whats the cost per pound or per hour for a drop flight? What is the max weight per trip?
    The cost will depend somewhat on the distance from the pick-up to the drop point. Most outfits charge an hourly rate rather than by the pound for the kind of air support you are asking about.

How far from the load point to the drop point?

How long is the grass strip and what about terrain (trees) at the arrival and departure ends of the "runway'?

Just guessing; but a beaver or a 206 are likely the best freighters you can get in there.

Default Pick Up Point

Pick up would be at Bill Stevens place at Mile 102 Glenn Hwy at the MatanuskaGlacierParkstrip that Bill flyís his cubs out of.

The drop off is @ 100 Miles directly north from there in the Talketna area, I donít have the exact GPS coordinates off hand. The grass strip has scrub trees on approach and at the departure.

If I had to estimate length I would say 350-450' and pretty flat and smooth. It hasnít been run in quite some time so Iím sure it would take a day to clear with a weed whip to open it back up.

I have scanned SAT. photos to see if there is a better gravel bar on the river but its pretty short banked and fast current with no real straight shot in or out.

Obviously I would run a camp hand in via Cub to measure and trim the approach, departure and strip.

I actually considered having a Quad swung in via Helicopter with a brush hog attachment to extend the strip 50-100'.

Thanks for the help!!

Thats a pretty short strip to work a beaver or a 206. A little longer and clear some of the obstructions and a person might be able to get a reasonably loaded 206 or beaver in there; out empty.

Just for general calculating purposes.

Use 2 hours flight time per load to calculate costs. From Bills you will have some extra time for positioning too.
    As for loads.........a max load on a short strip like that might be around 700# and a beaver 1K. After a trip or two someone might take a little more "weight" per load.

Wouldn't Talkeetna be closer? You may be able to get by without "positioning" costs out of Talkeetna too.

Another thing to think about is a winter operation. If there are some large lakes near by maybe you could get bigger loads in and then liter them over to your camp by snow machine.

Along those lines if there is a bar lower down and the river is navigable you could.........well you got the concept anyway.

Default What about Heli's

The length was just a guestimate. It may be a little longer. I will call Bill Monday and ask his opinion.

Not sure of the Talkeetna distance but thatís a good option. Iím not all that familiar with the surroundings being that im from Michigan.

I have scanned over numerous aerial photos and SAT photos and donít see any workable bar's within a decent range.

Do you know of any Large Heli's in that area that might be able to drop the whole 2400lb load in 1 trip? I know there are a few ships in the state that conduct salvage operations on downed aircraft so that might also be an option.

Some helo operators in the area you can google.

ERA Helicopters
    Evergreen Helicopters
    Temsco Helicopters might have a ship around and Air Logistics too.

That should get you started; but you are more than likely going to end up using some kind of fixed wing support. A helicopter with 2,400# sling load capabilities probably charters out at 3k per hour.

You are going to learn a lot.........but I can tell you are looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Some helo operators in the area you can google.

ERA Helicopters
    Evergreen Helicopters
    Temsco Helicopters might have a ship around and Air Logistics too.

That should get you started; but you are more than likely going to end up using some kind of fixed wing support. A helicopter with 2,400# sling load capabilities probably charters out at 3k per hour.

You are going to learn a lot.........but I can tell you are looking forward to it!

Wow! 3k Per Hr. is steep but I guess worth it if all the material, appliances, tools and gear get there in 1 trip. I guess it might cut down on the timeframe a bit I suppose.

Hereís another silly question for some but as I said Iím a bit new. I wasnít the original owner when the strip was cleared the 1st time so Iím not sure how they did this.

When cutting the approach and departure to allow for more useable runway how do you eliminate the small stumps left over from cutting the scrub? Iím sure that a brush hog will cut them short but what about the left over sharp tips at or slightly above ground level. I can only imagine what 1 of those would do to a tundra tire..

Default Helicopter

Check Northern Pioneer Helicopters in Big Lake at 907-892-1303. They helped me out once, and they worked with me on a rate. Being a litte closer to the pick up and drop point helps --even just a little closer, as you pay helicopter rates as soon as the blades start turning. Thus leaving from Anchorage as compared to Big Lake adds to the cost, if the drop is near Talkeetna.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Chet

Default last frontier

Try Last Frontier Air Ventures out on the Glenn hwy mile 89 or something. They fly A-Stars so they might be able to haul it in one load. Better give them a call soon because I know come summer most of their helicopters are in the bush on contracts.

If you have ever seen the Man vs. Wild up in alaska they were the ones supporting him with the helicopters.

AK

Thumbs up

Chet and AK thanks for the info. I will try to speak with both of them this week.
    The best way to change someones mind is with a ROCK!!

Hello all, I have been enjoying this forum for almost two years as an observer and want to thank all of you. Its like a large pool of friends who offer their sincere advise with nothing in return. Have a question? type in a search and more than not I could get good answers and suggestions.
    I did'nt want my first post to sound like a sales pitch but your situation prompted my post.
    If your property is any where near Talkeetna you must give John with Denali Helicpters a call. He will be up their at the end of April (or so his e-mail to me stated) and has two old Alouettes that lift like a bugger, 1800lbs I think he told me. He has a nice building right at the airport, easy for unloading, loading supplies, lives in town (during the summer) and on top of being an awesome rotorblade pilot, is a real stand up guy!
    I'm not to sure about the link to his home page but I'll give it a try. He doesn't strike me as the computer type but does respond to e-mail. Just not daily. There is a number on the home page and it may be forwarded to his winter location? (I always plan months ahead for him so quick responce has never been a concern)
    Tell him the little guy in the canyon with the BIG father in law said HI..
    Good luck and thanks again to all of you for your help in the past ( you just don't know how much you all help)http://denalihelicopters.com/Home.html