Thread: Items to carry on your atv.

Default Items to carry on your atv.

I know It was discussed on this forum somewhere but I can not find it.

Can anyone tell me where to find the discussion on what items you should carry on your atv, like spare gas, an extra spark plug etc.

I just bought a new Rubicon (first atv), after asking you guy a lot of questions (thanks) and now want to put a kit together of must carry items.

I plan to use it to do a lot of scouting for moose and deer and fishing hard to reach lakes.

I will never,ever, never,ever,never,ever...leave home again without some sort of shovel I got stuck in a hole last year up to the seat in mud with vertical walls. No way for the tires to grab in either direction. The whole was only one foot longer than my ATV and I could not get a run in either direction. No way to get my winch to pull me up because the nearest tree was 100' away. If I had a shovel it would have taken me 15 minutes to get out. Without the shovel it took me 2 hours.

So, my list now contains the following for rides that take me into challenging terrain:

1) Shovel

2) Folding saw, cut brush, or small trees for getting unstuck or emergency fires.

3) Stretchy tow rope/strap. We find it way faster to just yank each other out than to winch. Plus you never know when you have to tow home your buddy. Our straps are pretty much permanently mounted to the front of our ATV's on mud runs.

4) Full tool kit. Throw away the stock one and replace it with a complete set of metric 3/8 drive sockets and box end wrenches. Buy a quality interchangeable tip screw driver to go with it. Two sets of medium size vice grips and a roll of parachute cord. Add two bottles of Slime, a plug kit, and a 12 volt air compressor. I used to carry the CO2 cartridges, but the small 12volt pumps work better for me.

5) Mosquito head net. Stuff one in your trunk or tool kit. Really nice if you have to walk or hang out when you or somebody else is stuck.

6) Mosquito dope. Self explanatory.

7) Water. Carry a gallon. One good super stuck and that little 1/2 liter you brought with you will not be enough. I also carry my water filter with me to get more water on longer trips.

8) Enough oil for an oil change. Why? When you drown your quad and fill the oil with water you will know why I start a fire to burn up the drained oil. I carry one gallon zip lock bags to put the oil in. Once you get a good fire going, just drop it in.

9) One bottle of Iso Heat. Use to get water in your fuel out. Also a handy fire starter.

10) First aid kit.

11) Mountaineering pulleys. Yes, these pulleys are not designed for use with winch cable. They work great though. Use ones with a minimum 2" wheel and 5000# rating. Also through in 3 or 4 steel locking carabiners. Get a book and learn to build pig rigs and z-rigs of various types. You can turn your ATV winch into a mega-pulling rescue device when you need it Also, read up on winch cable safety.

Thats about my complete list for a good all day off-road adventure. Of course, I don't carry all this stuff when I go out for a simple ride in known terrain, but I will carry it on most of my serious rides now.

Default Oil

Last week a fellow atvr told me he did not need to bring oil along, he knew I would have enough for him if he got in trouble.
    Wow! Is he in for a surprise!
    If I "think" I will not possibly need it, then maybe he can buy it from me. Oil is going for what? $109 a barrel, maybe that 5 quarts is worth $109?
    Bring your own stuff, dont count on anybody else!
    Today I rode 51 miles by myself, not a big deal lots of guys do it.
    I can tell you though that I was prepared!

I rode 40 miles yesterday and made it up the backside of Baldy Mtn. On rides like this, I bring a small amount of stuff. Shovel, a handful of tools, little air compressor incase I pop a bead. Tow strap is mandatory along with winches.

Hey guys, what brand of air compressor are you guys carrying on your trips. I need to get one and I want to buy something that will stand up some abuse.
    Thanks Eric

Quote Originally Posted by emartens123 View Post
    Hey guys, what brand of air compressor are you guys carrying on your trips. I need to get one and I want to buy something that will stand up some abuse.
    Thanks Eric
    I got one of those little ones from Walmart for $11. I actually wanted a manual one but couldn't find one small enough. Don't really believe in those little CO2 looking things for blowing up a tire.
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by emartens123 View Post
    Thanks Eric
    Go to napa and get the small one they sell in a case, it comes with a bottle of slime. I tried a couple different models before getting that one and think napas is the best deal and best package.

Thanks--off to Napa it is

Default The thread you're looking for

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12548

There's a ton of stuff listed on this thread. You might even find someone who claims to haul a kitchen sink along.

Thanks for the input and AKCPO that is the exact thread I was looking for but could not find.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I rode 40 miles yesterday and made it up the backside of Baldy Mtn. On rides like this, I bring a small amount of stuff. Shovel, a handful of tools, little air compressor incase I pop a bead. Tow strap is mandatory along with winches.
    Looking for pictures of how folks haul tools (shovel, axe, etc.)

Thanks!

No decent pictures but we strap items up to about 40" long across the front or rear rack sideways, strapped down with bungees. Long items we strap to the front AND rear rack, lengthwise. That is how we transport some lumber to the cabin or dipnets when we go to the Copper. I hate to do it that way because I feel trapped on that one side and if the ATV rolls it could be bad news, but I'm just very careful and on off camber stuff I get my leg out of that side so that if something goes wrong I don't get tangled up with the machine and the gear.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I'll try to attach a picture of my ATV with equipment loaded. On the front I have two 2+ gallon gas tanks, 100' of 7k synthetic rope (A.I.H.), shovel, and sometimes a shotgun. On the back is lunch, two tool kits, spark plugs, xtra large can of fix a flat, duct tape, fire starters, lighters and waterproof matches, 2 emergency blankets, air pressure gauge, 50' of synthetic winch line, and a winch pulley (cranial flatulation, can't recall what it's called), in the box is extra clothing, water, gloves, and food. On my person are knives, leatherman, pistol, camera, gps, batteries and ammo. On the back I have attached to a clevis 25' of synthetic rope to pull out those that try to follow me (it's a joke relax). I will be adding a saw or ax and eventually a 12 volt pump. I ride alone a lot and have learned these items are necessary.

On cold weather trips, I've taken them at -20, I add a couple of tarps for a shelter and more clothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images