Thread: pack recommendation

Default pack recommendation

sure this has been topic of many threads. Here's my situation. First sheep hunting comming up in August. Fly out so 50lb limit. Have looked at the Barney's pinnacle, cabelas Alaska outfitter (seems awful heavy). I'll do a penninsula brown bear hunt out of a boat this May. Only other hunting is annual moose boondoggle, but given the area we hunt we've never had to pack more than 100 yards. Have heard the internals ride better and more comfortable but externals allow for more weight?

What do guys here use?

Welcome aboard! You'll find that these forums have a ton of information, so searching through some old posts is always a great place to start when looking for specifics.

There was a thread about packs recently that got into a lot of detail concerning different preferences and options. Read through it - that should answer a lot of your questions.

One thing about a sheep hunt pack is to take into account the time you'll be afield and whether you'll always be carrying everything or will be able to cache some items. If you are going on a shorter hunt or will be using a base and spike camp setup, save yourself the weight and get a smaller pack. If you are carrying 10 days worth of food, well you are gonna need the big ones which likely means a heavier empty pack. My cabela's is 10 lbs empty, which I found to be too heavy last year.

Buy the Barney's and put it to rest. You don't have to fill it up if the situation does not call for it. When hunting I empty my pack at my spike camp and carry just the necessary survival gear, spotting scope, game bags, rain gear, etc. while actually hunting.

Thumbs up packs

I have an Alaska Range Bear hunter, and I love it. These packs are made here in Alaska, down in Homer. They make several styles of packs with several options. They have a booth at the Wasilla show and will also be at the Anchorage show. I stopped and saw them yesterday, and they have several models on display. They are definately a pack made by hunters for hunters. I think they have a web site, but not sure. They are called Alaska Range Outdoor Gear I believe.

For sheep hunting buy the big Barney's pack. When you have your camp and a whole sheep you will need the space. The external frame packs cary better when you have more than 80 or 100 pounds. I also have a Bora 95 internal frame pack for mountainteering. It works better than the external frame up to about 75 pounds.

The one nice thing about the big Barney's pack is the single compartment, you can get a bear hide, a full moose quarters or a complete blacktail (and I mean complete blacktail minus guts) inside without having to stap things to the outside.

Default McHale

I would buy a McHale, since you're already held to 50 pounds why let your pack alone take up 10 pounds. There isn't a pack on the market that is more comfortable and it will haul just as heavy a load as a Barneys. You can stick a whole moose quarter or brown bear hide in it and if you decide spike out away from your main camp pull the bayonets out, roll the top down it's kinda like a day pack this way. You can get an 8500 cubic inch pack that weighs in under 6lbs.

If you think the Barneys is expensive the I dare you to price the McHale! I would agree that if price is no object then the McHale pack would likely be my top choice for sheep.

Default My Experience

Kifaru is the best and most comfortable pack I have ever used. It might not be exactly what your looking for but buy by far, hands down the best pack I've ever owned.. The Longhunted is a Great all around pack that breaks down into an external frame load hauler when needed. The Long Hunter Rendezvous is a 8500ci pack that only weight 6.7 Lbs and has a load capacity in excess of 180lbs. This pack includes there Hauler Pack built in. I included the link to the main site and also the link to the Longhunter Page. They make a whole line of packing items including Shelters, Packable Wood Stoves and Ultra Cold Weather Sleeping Bags these links are below also.

http://www.kifaru.net

http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTM
    __________________________________________________ ____

Shelters, Wood Stoves, Sleeping Bags

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

http://www.kifaru.net/stovspex.htm

http://www.kifaru.net/regulator.htm

I have a barneys if you want one pack to do everything thats it . Because when the big stuff hits the ground that will be the pack.Two years ago on the penn. a guy shot a 11 foot bear they walked 5 miles out to barrow my friends barney pack because the 200 # hide would only fit in that one.Cabelas I love thier stuff but not thier packs I have seen to many fail hope this helps

Default Bull Pack

Made in Oregon. It is made of hard core compostie metal. Light but very very tough. It is basically a frame, like a seat with a harness to it (straps etc.) Very comfortable, only thing is you need to supply your own packing material. I usually take a water broof bag for gear, and hang/strap gear with bungees to it (it also has hooks for this). Anyways great pack, have used it for moose, grizz, and caribou. When I first bought it I even had a friend (200 + pounds) sit in the seat and I carried him. Rides very nice and he felt like a feather Also bought a gun carrier for it and drilled/mounted it, works great

Default Alaska Range

Yotebuster, and/or anyone else with experience with the Alaska Range packs. I've seen the website of Alaska Range and their Sheephunter and Bear Hunter externals look interesting. How much does your pack weigh, and what is the "special" material for the pack they use like? How is their harness system? Do you have the free standing frame? Thanks in advance for any opinions/experience you can share about these packs.

I think you will find the 50# issue isn't that tough to deal with. The key is getting the right stuff. You can blow everything out of the water by getting a 10# tent. There have been threads here before that you can search for that talk about pack weight. I just ordered the Barney's Pinnacle, but it won't be ready until June. In the end that is what made the most sense to me. With a comparably light pack, I can haul a lot of stuff.

Default Kifaruv or Barneys

I am also looking to upgrade from my pack which is the
    cabelas Alaska Outfitter Frame pack which weighs 12 lbs 8 oz. empty.
    I was out caribou hunting last year and the pack wouldnt stop sqeeking
    and the load was only 75 lbs.It felt kinda wobbily too.
    just looking to get a more quailty pack that will last a long time and not weigh so much.
    I was looking at both these packs Kifaruv and Barneys and not shure which one to go with.
    I will most likly use it for packing meat out once i get a packer job.
    And maybe for some sheep hunts
    so far i am leaning towards the Long Hunter Guide

http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTMng