Thread: Rem Model 700 300 win mag trigger job

Default Rem Model 700 300 win mag trigger job

I have a stock Remington model 700 300 win mag. It's my one and only large caliber rifle. I've shot a couple caribou with it and taken it on a couple of unsuccessful sheep hunts. The trigger pull is HEAVY! It certainly doesn't help my accuracy at all. I figure I need to remedy the problem before I get to jazzed about working up accurate reloaded cartridges for it.

What type of work would you folks recommend I get done to the rifle? I took it to a local shop that does trigger jobs and the gentleman told me a regular trigger job on the model 700 could lead to an accidental discharge when closing the bolt on a live round. He recommended getting some new parts that would give the gun about a 3lb trigger pull and keep it safe. As I remember it was gonna cost about 200 dollars.

Also, who does such work locally? And How much am I looking at as far as cost?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Stock trigger

In my opinion, I would not bother with aftermarket triggers on a Rem 700. The factory trigger can be safely adjusted by a compentent gunsmith lighter than you want on a hunting rifle. I would set to 3.5# on a hunting rifle, the factory trigger can be crisp and perfectly safe at this level. I had a factory trigger at 2 oz and it was perfectly safe. As set from the factory, they typically run 7-9#s, the 3.5# will be a big improvement. Sorry, no recomendations for a smith but it can be done.

+ 1 for the above. I've done a lot of them myself. Three pounds set correctly is safe. Make sure you have the set screws covered with a good sealant so they don't move. There are several people that you can send them out to that will do the work for you. Send just the trigger. Do a net search for them.

I think the price is around 75.00 bucks. Seems like a lot of money for something that's easy to do.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

If you live close to Eagle River give me a jingle and I will show you how to adjust it. 90% of Remington triggers are capable of a light and crisp let off with only adjusting the three screws involved.
    Tennessee

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I got Stan Jackson to CLEAN and adjust the triggers on my 2 Rem. 700s. I won't quote his prices, as they may have changed, but it was a lot less than $75.00

He said he wouldn't adjust them without cleaning them first. Although, he didn't say so, I gather that may be because of the "safety off" problem that can occurr with them, especially if they've ever been oiled. I make it a point to never oil my Rem. Triggers, now.

I had adjusted them both in the past.

An after market trigger, is probably a needless expense. Like "aklefty" says, 3.5 lbs. is what you need.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I can vouch for Stan as well. I've had him do a lot of work on several guns (to include trigger jobs) and I've always been pleased with the results.

I am far from a gunsmith in ability. But I can tell you from my own experience that adjusting the pull weight on your Remington Model 700 is a simple task that just about anyone with a bit of spare time and ordinary hand tools can do successfully.

This pathetic, contrived mystery surrounding adjusting trigger pull on a rifle that is designed with an adjustable trigger is the result of lawyers and lawsuits and the gun manufacturers wishes to just avoid the whole messy issue. Not that many years ago those same Remington rifle manufacturers used to provide directions on adjusting the trigger pull to sportsmen who bought their rifles.

The internet is a great resource for how-to information.
    Do a search on the internet for adjusting the trigger pull weight and you will be provided with well written, step-by-step directions on how to complete the task. In the process of adjusting the trigger, you will learn a great deal, understand better how your trigger functions and have the great satisfaction of having done it yourself.

I spent maybe two hours and adjusted the triggers on a Remington Model 70 Mountain LSS in 3006, as well as a Remington Titanium in 3006. They came from the factory with such heavy triggers that my son and myself were having trouble adjusting the scopes on our new rifles trying to find the zero. I figured out that they were set at 8.5 lbs on one rifle and 10 lbs on the other. I never would have messed with the bother of adjusting the trigger pull had it not been made a necessity by these unacceptable trigger pull weights (I've never bothered to tackle the task in the past on any other rifle I've owned- I just squeezed harder).

Both of the rifles now consistently break at 4 lbs - not light, but a good weight for a hunting rifle that might be used in the field with cold or gloved hands with less sensitivity in the fingers.

A few tools i.e. screwdrivers, fingernail polish, and an old fashioned, small spring-wound scale used for weighing fish - you know the kind of brass scale that you hang the trout from to see how much he weighs. Those few rudimentary tools and two hours time.

If you really want to see improvement in accuracy on a budget - glass bed the rifle's action when you have it out of the stock during the trigger pull adjustment. It doesn't take much AcraGlass to do the trick and it's cheap and easy. I reckon my point is that it is way better for your sense of well-being to set your own table and learn from the process, than to pay someone else to do the simple task and leave it a mystery to yourself forever.

Tommy

I took it to a local shop that does trigger jobs and the gentleman told me a regular trigger job on the model 700 could lead to an accidental discharge when closing the bolt on a live round.
    RUN, do not walk, RUN from that shop!!

You don't need "parts" to get the weight to 3# (or less). IMO, a reasonably light pull is nice, ~ 2.5 lbs, but the important thing is C R I S P!

A competant 'smith can do that reliably.

Default I've decided to do it myself

I took the trigger out of the rifle and took a peek at the three screws. I've been looking at the net and it looks very doable to me. Thank for the comments folks!

Snowwolf, thanks for the offer to show me what to do. I might just PM you if I run into any questions.

Good luck. I have seen 20 maladjusted triggers in the past 6 months.

You had darn sure better know what you are doing before you attempt to adjust the trigger.

I think this will help you if you will read the link.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html

I will add that I use a large leather mallet to wack the heck out of the barreled action before I take it out of the vise a number of time to make sure it will not go off from shock. Use a good sealant on the screws and let dry before you return the barreled action to the stock.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson