Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish I'd thought of that

Default Wish I'd thought of that

Ever been out hunting with your buddy and he pulls something great out of his pack? What are some handy and unusual items you won't leave home without?

Hiking stix. I am always suprised at partners who don't bring a hiking stick(pole) when walking in the mountains. Also, a small poly sleeping hat. Can be the difference of a stuffy nose and cold head. Also, orange rubber fishing gloves(the ones with fleece inside) are mandatory on Kodiak or 4 wheeler hunts.

Default Extra items in the pack

Unscented, burnable baby wipes.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

A new bow. Seriously though, I was fine with my old bow until I picked up my friends new bow that was FAR smaller and lighter than my old clunker. It was on that hunt after carrying around my bow for five days that I decided the time to go bow shopping was drawing near. Ignorance was bliss, but I'm glad to have picked up his bow that day.

My hunting partner brings along a little crank turbine wind generator to stir up campfires to make them burn. Example is in the morning when you have just a few coals and want to get a quick warm up fire going. You put some kindling on the coals and crank the little blower to bring the fire to life. The only drawback is it is noisy as it whistles if you are concerned about that aspect.

I like the lense wipes that tuck back into the little pounch that clips to a shirt or coat.

Tent candles.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default A campfire bellows

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    My hunting partner brings along a little crank turbine wind generator to stir up campfires to make them burn. Example is in the morning when you have just a few coals and want to get a quick warm up fire going. You put some kindling on the coals and crank the little blower to bring the fire to life. The only drawback is it is noisy as it whistles if you are concerned about that aspect.
    A raft pump makes an excellent bellows for getting those coals going, and doesn't make a lot of noise.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default ll bean radio

I brought a "crank-up" ll bean radio once and my buddy kept cranking it one night listening to the baseball game on the radio; I thought that was kind of funny! I had some gadgets in this box we took on a boat trip and he was asking what else I had in it. But that radio was a hit with him. I had one of those rei candle lanters, nothing fancy, but he used it to keep an eye on the radio one night too.

Default Uh Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I brought a "crank-up" ll bean radio once and my buddy kept cranking it one night listening to the baseball game on the radio; I thought that was kind of funny! I had some gadgets in this box we took on a boat trip and he was asking what else I had in it. But that radio was a hit with him. I had one of those rei candle lanters, nothing fancy, but he used it to keep an eye on the radio one night too.
    Careful there Rufus...with an LL Bean radio and an REI lantern, you're in danger of being considered a "fashionable" hunter...

I always bring along snacks. It is surprising how many times I have to share with my partners out in the field. Especially when you are sitting in one spot for a long period of time. Head nets are also very handy.

I know, my hunting partner wouldn't let me live it down the rest of the trip. We had some laughs with that radio anyway. It seems like sometimes you got to mix it up. One time we didn't have any gadets out there but we made some moose callers one morning out of ol-birch bark from a fallen birch tree and he asked me a question and I answered with a "huh" like a bull grunting. My hunting buddy just about tipped over with hysteria and the rest of the trip we were grunting like a couple of ol-bulls in rut whenever we needed to answer a question. We never did get a moose but it was fun anyways. Which brings the question. Do you need to get a moose to make the trip successful? I already know the answer but what about for some of you?

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose View Post
    Ever been out hunting with your buddy and he pulls something great out of his pack? What are some handy and unusual items you won't leave home without?
    I guess a sense of humor is in order also as it seems like we can alway be a little serious about getting whatever it is we are hunting. An older hunting friend and I were out once and we hunted some rabbits on The Kenai Peninsula. I sure wished I had brought a game bag and pack on this trip. I caught two or three rabbits and was heading back to the car and found my friend waiting for me. After the 10 or 15 minute hike back once I reach the car I felt something crawling up my arm, the side which I was carrying the rabbits. I stripped off my coat, shirt, and tee to see about 10 or so of the little rabbit lice scurrying about. I yelled of to my friend too; "get im off me, get im off me!" That was pretty funny now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I know, my hunting partner wouldn't let me live it down the rest of the trip. We had some laughs with that radio anyway. It seems like sometimes you got to mix it up. One time we didn't have any gadets out there but we made some moose callers one morning out of ol-birch bark from a fallen birch tree and he asked me a question and I answered with a "huh" like a bull grunting. My hunting buddy just about tipped over with hysteria and the rest of the trip we were grunting like a couple of ol-bulls in rut whenever we needed to answer a question. We never did get a moose but it was fun anyways. Which brings the question. Do you need to get a moose to make the trip successful? I already know the answer but what about for some of you?

Nope, no matter if it is fishing or hunting sharing the good times and great laughs and stories are what it is all about. Getting the game or big one is just a bonus.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default I-pod

Have a 8 gig i-pod nano, it only ways a few onces and really can put you in a better mood on those rainy days.

Terry

A hunting partner one time on a goat hunt(in pouring rain 40 degrees) pulled out a fresh onion and a green pepper for the freeze dried. Best meal I've eaten to this day!!

Default Space Blanket

Spotting for bear and caribou on a cold windy hillside with no wind break and my buddy pulls out his space blanket. That was a relief, the wind was really tearing through me but that blanket made for a great wind break.

Default Wet Ones

Can't hunt Alaska without unscented Wet Ones or some other body wipe.

Default Beer Retriever

My buddy and I were on the Wood River Lakes north of Dillingham for a moose hunt. WE arrived at the little cabin belonging to a buddy and it was TRASHED! as we started picking things up, we noticed several MGD bottles along a ten foot drop off along the shore (it was a rare sunny and still day) when I noticed that most of them were full, my buddy pulls out this huge and powerful magnet on a string that he uses for retrieving the inevitable dunked motor tools and we spent the next hour over the side of the boat picking up beer bottles from up to 15 foot down. Apparently there is just enough magnetic materials in a bottle cap for a magnet to grab it and pull it to the surface...we looked ridiculous but 11 free beers in the bush is a gift horse you can't overlook...plus we were helping to clean up the park...so we felt good about that...but we felt even better when we realized they were all much colder than the beers we brought

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    My buddy and I were on the Wood River Lakes north of Dillingham for a moose hunt. WE arrived at the little cabin belonging to a buddy and it was TRASHED! as we started picking things up, we noticed several MGD bottles along a ten foot drop off along the shore (it was a rare sunny and still day) when I noticed that most of them were full, my buddy pulls out this huge and powerful magnet on a string that he uses for retrieving the inevitable dunked motor tools and we spent the next hour over the side of the boat picking up beer bottles from up to 15 foot down. Apparently there is just enough magnetic materials in a bottle cap for a magnet to grab it and pull it to the surface...we looked ridiculous but 11 free beers in the bush is a gift horse you can't overlook...plus we were helping to clean up the park...so we felt good about that...but we felt even better when we realized they were all much colder than the beers we brought
    That story reminds me of a bear hunt two years ago out of Valdez. We pitched camp at one of the marine park sites and when we were exploring around the area we found someone had left 17 bottles of Budweiser in the bear proof food box! It was like Christmas!

I guess it is the little things that make a guy happy
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Unscented, burnable baby wipes.
    Yup. Any trip lasting more than a couple of days make these required.

I just got back from a 5 dya trip.

I was in dire need of hand lotion...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast