Thread: Outdoorsman Show In Wasilla

Default Outdoorsman Show In Wasilla

Its that time already! 10-6 on Saturday the 29th, 10-5 on Sunday the 30th. Good seminar schedule, and plenty of vendors. Much smaller than the Anchorage show, but still plenty of deals to be had. Plus its just 4 bucks!

Default Stop by the Alaska Moose Federation and SFW booths

Still have 30 tickets left for the MATSU Alaska Moose Federation fundraising event on April 12th.

Also if you want to get more info about the Alaska SFW stop by their booth. They will also have a booth at the Anchorage show.

Enjoy!

Default Link?

Anybody got a better link to the show? I went to their home page, but it has not been updated since the 2007 show, and the show starts today! Also their home page uses HUGE text that scrolls clear off my 23" monitor by about four feet! Really hard to read. I was looking for their seminar schedule, but...

Does anyone have their seminar schedule for this year?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Still have 30 tickets left for the MATSU Alaska Moose Federation fundraising event on April 12th.

Also if you want to get more info about the Alaska SFW stop by their booth. They will also have a booth at the Anchorage show.

Enjoy!

oHH. I will be there thanks for the invite.

Default Tony Russ

Email Mr. Russ, he sent me a schedule. Also, said it was in the Frontiersman on Tues/Wed.

Seminar Room 1
    "
    Northern Pike Spearing and Ice Fishing -- Howard Tieden, Arrowhead Outfitters: Discussion and Demonstration of the fun & unique sport of Northern Pike spearing and ice fishing. Learn about spearing and ice fishing techniques, equipment, history, and other fish species available. Finding Trophy fish and the advantages of fly-out, backcountry lake fishing."

Understanding Alaska's Predator Control Program -- Cliff Judkins, Alaska Board of Game: WHY Alaska has predator control, what it is, and how we go about it.

Sheep Stalking in Alaska -- Tony Russ, TonyRuss.com: How to close the gap for a close shot at legal rams; stalking methods for all weapons; and actual stalks with photos and diagrams.

Reading Alaska's Rivers and Streams -- Kelly Pinnell, Pinnell Publishing: A comprehensive look at reading rivers and streams to find more fish; including descriptions of the different types of water, the benefits of each type, and detailed descriptions on how to fish them.

A Simple Approach to Becoming a Bowhunter in Alaska -- Kyle Wait, Alaska Bowhunters Association / Archers Den: A simple demonstration on selecting and outfitting a bow; special considerations when hunting with archery gear; specific opportunities available only to archers; and special regulations pertaining to bowhunting in Alaska.

Be ATV/Snowmobile Helmet & Travel Smart -- Daniel Dryden, North American Outdoor Institute: Fun, interactive outdoor safety awareness seminar appropriate for ages 9-adult. Learn safe travel tips and techniques for ATV and Snowmobile Riders. All participants that complete the seminar are eligible to purchase a new Snell/DOT helmet for $25.00 (sizes and quantities limited) from Alaska Mining and Diving Supply, the Mat-Su Health Foundation or the Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.

Seminar Room 2
    Catching Mat-Su King Salmon - Dave Rutz, ADF&G Sport Fish Division Biologist; Where and when to fish for the 100,000-plus king salmon that return to the Susitna River Drainages each summer. Fishing methods and the forecast for this summer’s angling success.

Flyfishing Women Explore Alaska -- Pudge Kleinkauf, author of Flyfishing Women Explore Alaska, flyfishing and fly tying instructor: An armchair tour of Women's Flyfishing® summer 2008 trips aroung Alaska. 2:00 pm. - Hands-On Fly Casting for Women -- Pudge Kleinkauf: Try out a fly rod and get casting tips from Pudge of Women's Flyfishing® . MEET IN ICE RINK BLEACHERS

Moose Calling With Mark Braaten -- Mark has been featured on a number of outdoor television shows, radio shows and newspapers. He instructed classes for the Minnesota DNR Moose Hunting orentations, which all moose hunters must attend, and gave seminars at many sport shows and businesses across Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.

Selecting a Muzzleloader for Alaska Hunting -- Howard Delo, Howard Delo's Outdoors: Information on selecting a muzzleloading firearm for hunting in Alaska; small game applications will be discussed but the emphasis will be on big game; learn about tradition versus in-line styles, caliber selection, sights, and related selection criteria.

Wilderness First Aid: What to do When Help is More than 1 Hour Away -- Michael Humphrey, American Red Cross of Alaska Mat-Su: Learn a few advanced first aid skills that may help you save an outdoor companion in Alaska when you are more than one hour from Emergency Medical Services.

Clobber Salmon with Bobbers and Bait -- Andy Couch, Fishtale River Guides - www.fish4salmon.com, & Pro Staff for Pautzke Bait Company: Casting and drifting bait under bobbers for king and silver salmon in the Mat-Su; learn how to position and fish these more effectively; learn guide secrets about techniques and tackle to elevate your success to a higher level; and bring your questions.

Times are 11am - 4pm

Default Just today

Thats just today's schedule. Tried to copy and paste schedule, but wife wasn't home to show me how. Darn computers, sometimes THEY'RE frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    oHH. I will be there thanks for the invite.
    Please no weapons!

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Please no weapons!
    Only my voice recorder

I asked a couple questions at the SFW booth and didn't get much in the way of answers. I asked about some of the posted questions regarding their intent brought up here. The response was that the AOD had plenty of members that only pretended to be sportsmen to further their own anti agenda. Not much information to sway me to join... I was kind of dissapointed I have been on the fence regarding becoming a member. I got the old "more animals in the woods" mantra. I was told that one of the bills currently being supported by SFW would solidify "all game" as assets but there was no clear answer as to if SFW was interested in doing anything to correct sheep and goats being specifically left out of the bill that specifieas certain species as "assets". Ultimately I am still not sure what their agenda is. I don't see a clear cut stance on any of the major issues. I don't agree with many of HomerDave and Bushrats org's position but I respect them in that they take a clear stance. In the words of the Gov they have transparency!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Interesting thoughts Lujon. I have also been on the fence about whether or not to join. I am a skeptic by nature...and will make my decision after I visit their booth tomorrow!

Default So how was the show?

Well, I was going to attempt to get out to the Mat-Su show this weekend, but the dryer went out and that ended up being my weekend project. A lot of hassle just for some hot air I had last week (sounds like the current election campaigns).

Anyway, did anyone make it out there, and if so, how was it?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay