Thread: THANK YOU to AlaskanAuthor

Wink THANK YOU to AlaskanAuthor

Guys and Gals,

I owe a big THANK YOU to poster AlaskanAuthor for his assistance on my planned fishing trip to Kodiak late this summer. While our plans are not finalized yet, he has been very helpful with his suggestions on where to stay, what to do and how to do things to make our trip a success. He has authored two books on Alaska fishing that are available on this site "Alaska Fishing on a Budget" and "Kodiak Fishing at Any Angle". I found both of those books to be easy to read and very informative, even though I had been to Alaska many times before on hunting trips.

Also THANK YOU to the others on this forum who have taken time to answer many of my questions and those who have offered their help to us to make our trip a success. My door is always open if any of you ever make it to western Nebraska.

Thanks again for all the help and to David for providing this great forum.

Bernie P.

...If I was planning a trip to New Zealand, I doubt I would seek vital advice from a guy who lived in Ohio and only visited NZ for a few weeks a year....

Enjoy the trip Bernie....And good luck.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Talking aw gee hippie...

even if his "handle" was "NZGuide"?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

ESPECIALLY is his handle was NZGuide.....I don't suffer posers, and vicarious wanna-be's graciously.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Talking

thr secind word n your podt is misspelled.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I beed nore coffee

Smile So Sorry AlaskaHippie!!!

AH,

Sorry if I offended you by thanking those who helped me plan this trip. I have found that often those who have traveled to areas I have not mention things that some of the locals never think to mention. I also thanked the many people from Alaska who helped me by responding to this forum and through PMs. I visited with many of those people on the phone and found them to be extremely helpful.

I worked for a major outdoor sporting goods retailer for several years and during that time offered my help and assistance to many planning their first hunting trip to Alaska, both customers and fellow employees. NO, I didn't live in YOUR great state but I had been there doing exactly what they were going be doing, often in the same areas, many, many times. Yes I am one of the nonresident hunters that get cussed on this site for shooting some of your animals. I can't think of one person who didn't thank me for my help and many made a special trip back to see me to convey their gratitude after their trip.

I am open minded enough to accept advice from all those who offer it; sort through the chaff and take what I consider to be good advice, be it from a local, a person from another part of YOUR state, or a person from another state who has visited the same area I am planning to go.

I think that sometimes it may be hard for those who live in Alaska to realize how very special a trip to your state is for those of us who enjoy the outdoors as much as you do, but do not live there. I have made many good friends in Alaska during my previous travels there and always look forward to meeting new people on each trip.

I do thank you AH for wishing me an enjoyable trip and good luck. If you should ever want to do some pheasant hunting in the lower 48, look me up. I live here and can give you some good advice

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    ...If I was planning a trip to New Zealand, I doubt I would seek vital advice from a guy who lived in Ohio and only visited NZ for a few weeks a year....

Enjoy the trip Bernie....And good luck.....
    I'm still trying to figure out what you apologized for, Bernie, you were nothing but kind.
    You're a good man.

I'd bet the info you have been given by a non-Alaskan will be helpful and informative. Go and have fun, and sincerely--good luck in the fishing and travel! Post a report upon your return.

Frank

I gotta agree. the man's zip code is irrelevant the information he presents is accurate and easy to apply. His books are an excellent resource and the fact that he is willing to give you personal input instead of...oh I don't know...arbitrarily bashing you or others speaks well of his character.

Default Good advice that an Alaskan can't give

AlaskanAuthor has advice to give that an Alaskan doesn't. He gives advice from an angle that Alaskans doesn't have. If you read his books (I have) you find out how to enjoy Alaska on a budget, and specifically Kodiak. Things like the best ways to preserve and send your catch home, how to use airline miles for your trip, best ways to rent a car, etc. He's done the trip from the lower 48 many times and someone visiting Alaska can really benifit from that kind of advice, so I have to respectfully disagree with the hippie.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default what does it matter

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I gotta agree. the man's zip code is irrelevant the information he presents is accurate and easy to apply. His books are an excellent resource and the fact that he is willing to give you personal input instead of...oh I don't know...arbitrarily bashing you or others speaks well of his character.

I dont know Author or hippie but I must say I appreciate the advice and suggestions that author gives. Im a resident of over 25 years and it seems that helping those who ask and have the patience to ask and learn we all enjoy helping. Im have nothing but respect for anyone who asks the questions and us alaskans who help each other out. There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid mistakes. Author and all of us that try to help those from making those stupid mistakes,Thanks So to all of those that ask, thank you, to those that reply with great answers residents or not, thank you.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The book he wrote is for people like me. People who have no idea about Alaska and need a comprehensive place to start.
    The book took me 2-3 hours to read, and Im guessing it saved me about 20-30 hours of internet research. It gave me a very good idea of how to use Anchorage as my home-base as a tourist. Had I not read his book, I would not have bought 'Flyfisher's guide to Alaska' nor would I have bought 'Alaska Fishing' because I would have assumed they were not easy to read both being over 400 pages. Dantherock suggested those books (thanks Dan) but I didnt want to get them because I thought they would be overwhelming. But after reading 'Alaska fishing on a budget' it made me realize that the fishing system is not too complicated when you do your homework.
    Its a great introduction, and when accompanied with the internet and other books, its very useful.
    How else was I going to know about the Milepost? Or that there are only 3 major highway systems for someone like me to fish? How to be respectful to not bother the locals when fishing shoulder to shoulder? I didnt even know that conversion vans existed!!
    His book is not pretentious, not at all. It is what it is...a book by a tourist, for tourists like me.

Default um....Hippie...

I think that the ODD library has these books if you'd like to actually read them before passing judgement on their contents and author...

Sounds like a wealth of info to be had there....

Seems kind of like the "Lonely Planet" books to me. These reknowned travel books are written and published by visitors to the areas and as such provide valuable input from a visitor's point of view. I see pretty substantial value in that.

Alaskan Author writes good books from the perspective of a traveling angler. The first book that I bought was Alaska Fishing on a Budget, and it has a lot of good information for the first time visitor. I also enjoyed reading Kodiak Fishing at Any Angle. Over the years I have read just about every fishing book on Alaska, and I am still learning. Personally I don't care where a writer lives as long as the book has good content. For example, Rick Steve's writes many great books on traveling to different countries in Europe, and he lives in WA state. Also there are many top guides on the Kenai river that live in WA, OR, MN & CA. It doesn't mean they are less knowledable than a local guide. I also understand it can be a sore point if you don't reside in Alaska 52 weeks a year.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-30-2008 at 16:48. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I think that the ODD library has these books if you'd like to actually read them before passing judgement on their contents and author...

Sounds like a wealth of info to be had there....

Sorry Frank, I'd love to continue this discussion, but once again, my posts are being deleted, thus a real dialog on this isn't possible. Too bad, folks deserve to hear both sides of this issue, but I guess that just wouldn't be.........fair.....

Funny, I've not seen "Alaskan"Author respond. Wonder why?....Oh, wait...I think I know now...$$$

Wonder how the cookbook is coming? <grin>

Default Praise for AlaskanAuthor

Bernard, AKA AlaskanAuthor, is a frequent contributor on these forums, and I very much appreciate that he so freely shares what he knows. He has never made it a secret that he is a frequent visitor, not a resident.

The man's accomplishments in our area of interest are impressive:
    1. He regularly travels up here because he loves Alaska
    2. He writes effectively about what he has learned in two books that sell well
    3. He has learned the intricacies of self-publishing and succeeded
    4. He regularly contributes on these forums to help people with what he knows
    5. He has written several articles for this website
    Bernard....I appreciate the way you have been a tremendous help to many people through your books, your articles, items you have written for this website, and these forums.

David

Default AlaskaHippie

I just looked and checked all posts by yourself. I do not see where anyone in this thread deleated any post(s) by yourself.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Might wanna talk with your boss Dave.....It was deleted.....

"Alaskan"Authors "reputation" has been edited back into perfection.......