Thread: Valdez Freshwater Fishing ???

Default Valdez Freshwater Fishing ???

We are chartering a saltwater trip out of Valdez in August, but we plan on being there for an extended stay, so I am wondering if there is any decent freshwater fishing in the immediate vicinity. I know about the streams and creeks along the Richardson, but what is available in close proximity of Valdez, without having to drive too far each day?
    Thanks

Default Valdez

You need a copy of the regulations, salt and fresh water. Anything that flows into port Valdez is closed to salmon fishing. There are some dollies around but most streams are suffering from glacial flooding in August. Blueberry Lake and one other in the pass are stocked. Pick up the Roadside Angler and you will have a lot of information.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Hook line and sinker

Larry from the hook line and sinker would be the person to ask about road side fishing in Valdez. I know last year the Hook line and sinker and Longs Marine where purchased by a guy named Reynolds. He was going to build a new building and put the two business along with a snow machine dealer ship in the same building. I should be in Valdez next week and I will post an email of what I find.

Default Larry

Larry is no longer the owner of HLS as it is now Reynolds Alaska and he is not there. The Wests run the counter right now.

The temporary building is near Larrys place, same street, in the Totem Parking lot.

Longs, now Reynolds, is in the same building until the new one can be built.

There are some dollies in the Robe river and that is about it for freshwater near Valdez. If you get out to Allison point you may be able to still catch pinks out there and if you are out there in late August there is a slight chance of hooking an early silver.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    There are some dollies in the Robe river and that is about it for freshwater near Valdez. If you get out to Allison point you may be able to still catch pinks out there and if you are out there in late August there is a slight chance of hooking an early silver.
    Thanks. Sounds like pretty slim pickin's but fishin's fishin and that's OK.

You can fish salmon in the Robe but the limit is only one silver per day. I have seen some small kings in there too. Not a very fun river to fish, pretty tight with brush and a lot of swampy areas along the bank.
    Blueberry Lake and the other lake next to road can be fun fishing for grayling.

if you are out there in late August there is a slight chance of hooking an early silver
    Yeah, just a slight chance....

Default Fly fishing

Robe River is fly fishing only. Kind of why I forgot about it. There are bears down there in the fall too. Last year a brown bear sow and two cubs lived there all summer.

The police thought that vandals were tipping over headstones at the cemetery there. NOT! The cubs found out they could do it and were having a ball tilting the headstones.