Thread: Whittier Kings

Default Whittier Kings

Hello all. I have tried with little success to find a thread on kings out of Whittier. Does anyone have a link? If not, anyone like to share some info. Thanks

What are you looking for? Trolling for kings, kings in a near-shore river, kings that are planted and return to the near-harbor area that are catchable from shore, etc. That might help with being able to provide info.

Default Trolling

Trolling while shrimp pots soak.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Trolling while shrimp pots soak.
    While I have never targeted kings out of there, I always do really well in Seward, and Homer. I can't believe that it is going to much different there. At any rate, pretend you are lake fishing - get up really early (kings seem to bite best in the early morning) look for structure; like a point with plateau and a steep drop off. Fish around bait balls, and look for a tidal eddy. Speaking of tides, fish the tides and troll with them, not against them. Go slower than you would for silvers, deeper (use your fish finder for depth), and for crying out loud, whatever you put on the end of your hook make sure that it is green. I do think that it will be very slow fishing as the fish are just kind of here and there this time of year. But once you find a few, they may surprise you. I have nailed them in Seward in mid-April on several trips. Let me know how you do, I have always thought about going down there, but I really like Seward as it has quick (sort of) butt access.

King fishing out of Whitter can be a blast.. Though I will say it's harder fishing then Homer and Seward.. Whitter doesn't have the king runs like Homer and Seward..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You guys can thank Prince William Sound Aquaculture Association (PWSAC) for planting all those kings for ya !! and remember to watch out and avoid gillnets this coming season.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have found that the best place to catch them is right around the nets. But, be careful....they hate it when you cut your way out of those nets. Maybe that is why they call it Shotgun Cove....brings new light to it.

Default Seward Kings

I was making plans for kings this sping in Seward. I was told around the sealife center and the waterfalls are good spots. I was wondering if this is true are there any other spot such as Pony cove. When do they start coming in. thanks for any info as this will be my first time trolling from a boat for kings with downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I was making plans for kings this sping in Seward. I was told around the sealife center and the waterfalls are good spots. I was wondering if this is true are there any other spot such as Pony cove. When do they start coming in. thanks for any info as this will be my first time trolling from a boat for kings with downriggers.
    I have caught a few at both of those spots. Out at Pony can be good (a long boat ride), as are the areas that have structure. The Kings are still feeding as they come into the bay. You need to fish where there are something for them to eat. Don't forget to fish the tides.