Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Culross Passage

  1. #1
    Member AK NIMROD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SOLDOTNA, AK
    Posts
    949

    Default Culross Passage

    PICTURE SHOWS ROUTE I TAKE THROUGH PASSAGE , NORTHERN NARROWS NEAR BOTTOM OF PICTURE. PICTURE TAKEN LAST SPRING
    ? END OF APRIL.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

  2. #2
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Nice pic. That island you must stay on right side(coming from Whitter) and pretty close to the right side bank. There is a large rock(left side) runs from the land just about to the middle to a point. Low tide you can see it. Seen one person make this mistake. Lost his lower unit.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  3. #3
    Member AK NIMROD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SOLDOTNA, AK
    Posts
    949

    Default

    for years when i ran inflatable or my 22 ft c-dory i used to go all the way to left ...very slow and cautious. @ low tide there was a big rock slab that came off ledge that had to be avoided. that was about 15 yrs ago. now stay to right and stay on step.
    figured i would post picture for any new folks heading that way.
    will be heading out that way in about a month. can hardly wait
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

  4. #4
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Another place is the entrance to Esther passage.. With that rock in the middle
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    16

    Default Getting there

    Does Port Wells get rough or would the conditions be the same as Decision Point?I was there last summer and it seemed like an awful lot of water to cross,although the seas were less than 2 feet.My boat can handle rougher water,just don't like to put myself/family into intense situations.I've heard Culrose can lead to better areas to fish.

  6. #6
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todo View Post
    Does Port Wells get rough or would the conditions be the same as Decision Point?I was there last summer and it seemed like an awful lot of water to cross,although the seas were less than 2 feet.My boat can handle rougher water,just don't like to put myself/family into intense situations.I've heard Culrose can lead to better areas to fish.
    Anytime you have multiple fjords meeting, the chance of rough water exists. So, I guess, the short answer is yes. How big of a boat are yu talking about?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  7. #7

    Default

    Todo,

    Late last year (Sept) I crossed Wells with a steady southern wind building the seas to 4-5 footers. Spent most of the day killing silvers on the south side of Ester (out of the wind). When it was time to make the return trip, the conditions thru Wells had deteriorated. While we were in no danger, the return crossing was unpleasant (6-8 foot seas).

    So in answer to your question; Yes, it can get quite rough.

    -- Gambler

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    16

    Default Boat size

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Anytime you have multiple fjords meeting, the chance of rough water exists. So, I guess, the short answer is yes. How big of a boat are yu talking about?
    18 foot semi vee with a 105HP(150 with a jet)

  9. #9
    Member AK NIMROD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SOLDOTNA, AK
    Posts
    949

    Default

    about a mile off pigot is where it has seemed the worse for me over the years. can get right down nasty . i have done 4-5 footers in a 16 foot inflatable there before not much fun. if going out for day just be prepared to spend night if you have to there is no reason to put yourself or family in danger.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default Pigot point

    Been there done that:-) 4-5 footers staced tight, a newby in a barrowed 18 foot zodiac (we were in our 16 foot Achilles) bumped the kill switch with his knee. THAT was intersesting:-) It was smooth as glass inside Passage Canal until Squirrel point.
    AKnimrod, I really like that picture it's a good tool.
    Rob (posting on hus wife's 'puter)

  11. #11
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Nov the water was flat until about a mile I past decision point I hit 5 footers that had a short back side. Talk about making it rough. Once past that I calmed down some what.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  12. #12
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default Boat Size

    My 20ft Wooldridge does great, although it can get rough coming across Pigot Point. Love running Culross. Have run all over out there. Remember April 2007? Flat and warm.

    Last year I had a real bad time in passage canal! Man the wind and waves were bad.

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Member Rod in Wasilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    um... Wasilla...
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    My 20ft Wooldridge does great, although it can get rough coming across Pigot Point. Love running Culross. Have run all over out there. Remember April 2007? Flat and warm.

    Last year I had a real bad time in passage canal! Man the wind and waves were bad.
    I remember spring of '06 being unusually warm, but I thought spring '07 was pretty cool.

    I sure wish there was a good way to tell what the water looked like beyond Passage Canal while sitting in Whittier. A lot of times I've rolled out of Whittier harbor and pounded my way through the Canal to find glass past Decision point other times it's just the opposite. Sometimes, it's fair in the Canal, bad in Wells Passage, and great from Culross south.
    Sometimes, there's just no good water anywhere...

    But, whatever the water's doing, still beats working though.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

  14. #14
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    During the summer you can get the reading off the bouy near Esther Rock from NOAA.....just got to get on the internet to look.

    Here is the link to the page. The bouy is under PWS.

    http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php?fcst=SRUS88PAFC

  15. #15
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default You maybe Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I remember spring of '06 being unusually warm, but I thought spring '07 was pretty cool.

    I sure wish there was a good way to tell what the water looked like beyond Passage Canal while sitting in Whittier. A lot of times I've rolled out of Whittier harbor and pounded my way through the Canal to find glass past Decision point other times it's just the opposite. Sometimes, it's fair in the Canal, bad in Wells Passage, and great from Culross south.
    Sometimes, there's just no good water anywhere...

    But, whatever the water's doing, still beats working though.

    Rod you mabe right it was in 06. Dang I am starting to get old. I also run out to Naked Island, then back to Main Bay and then back through the pass. Have to just love it. A bad day on the water beats any other place!

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  16. #16

    Default

    I'm planning my first Alaska black bear hunt and my first trip into the sound (maybe). I just finished the CG boating class and look forward to getting out. I also have a knot in my gut thinking about driving my own boat into big water. I'm looking at Culross as a possible hunting spot among others. I'm driving a North River jet and will most likely carry an inflatable. Worrying about the boat ride out keeps me from thinking about close quarters with a selfbow. Thanks again for the information.

  17. #17

    Default Whittier to Anchorge Pressure Differential

    I believe the NOAA weather forecast reports the Whittier to Anchorage Pressure Differential (I have not studied this) but my understanding is the larger the differential the worse the winds are over Portage Pass and then across Passage Canal by Whittier. What I don't know is this:

    1. What magnitude differential is of concern to boaters (i.e how many millibars?

    2. Does any reported differential imply the wind is from Whittier to Anchorage? Or are there negative differential values that would imply wind from Anchorage to Whittier? Or do they report all numbers as positive values with differential being from the source to the destination? i.e. Whittier-to-Anchorage differential v.s Anchorage-to-Whittier differential?

    Seems like this is the best indicator of wind/wave action near Whittier.

    I have no idea how this data relates to farther out such as near Decision Point etc.....

    Any weather buffs out there that can school us up on this data?

  18. #18
    Member Waldo2382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    250

    Default

    http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php?fcst=

    Dupont Spinner's link was pretty good, but for my Prince William Sound Voyages, I use the link above to cover the whole Sound and kinda get an idea for the area. Using sub area 125 - 129 primarily. As for the millibars, I like to study the weather fax I get at work and determine how close the isobars are and also look to online to see how fast the pressure is dropping. Half a millibar per hour for several hours is noteworthy. However the boat I work on is a little bit larger by a few hundred feet, I reckon, and push through no matter what. We just like to know what to expect and what stylish clothing to wear.

  19. #19
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Thumbs up Book

    Quote Originally Posted by DWLong View Post
    I'm planning my first Alaska black bear hunt and my first trip into the sound (maybe). I just finished the CG boating class and look forward to getting out. I also have a knot in my gut thinking about driving my own boat into big water. I'm looking at Culross as a possible hunting spot among others. I'm driving a North River jet and will most likely carry an inflatable. Worrying about the boat ride out keeps me from thinking about close quarters with a selfbow. Thanks again for the information.
    Get a book called "Cruising Prince William Sound." You can buy a copy here. It also explains all the weather patterns, bays etc and is very useful.

    After this next summer, the "big water" won't seem so big and you will have a great time exploring!

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •