Thread: Hunting Style And Rifles

Default Hunting Style And Rifles

Hunting Style and Rifles

I have learned so much through the years as well as confirmed by my own experiences things I thought were so. I really like the ideas of so many on hunting, reloading, shooting, rifles of all make and brands as well as the optics we put on them. I like so many different kinds of rifles. I have had the opportunity of owning at least one fine hunting rifle of all the major brands on the market today.

First and foremost, even though I like other make’s of rifles especially custom rifles, I have become a Weatherby fan and don’t see me changing. Just like others who have become fans of other brands of rifles. I love the Mark V and what Weatherby gives you for the bucks spent on their production rifles. I love their great line of cartridges that are so useful and the wildcats that can come from them.

I have never owned or picked up a Weatherby that has not been a good shooter and some of you who have owned many more and shoot more Weatherby’s could say the same. Yet some have had bad experiences like any other make of rifle, there is the occasional Weatherby that was not manufactured well. Yet, a bad one here and there does not negate a fine rifle design no matter what the company.

With all of the options and brands out there one could use for hunting, I have chosen to go with my Weatherby rifles most of the time in the field. The reason is based on my hunting style. 1. I have adopted what I call practicality of standard hunting situations that are usually the norm for most hunters. The exception to this approach is that most do not reload and only uses factory ammo and I reload and of course I have to at this time with my two Weatherby rifles and cartridges being wildcats. 2. I employ a style and technique which is an attitude of hunting by getting as close to the game as you can before you take the shot. This allows for the experience of actually going after game (called hunting) while also taking short, medium or as I would call 500 – 600yd shots, long shots. 3. I also choose to apply not only the advantage of a Weatherby cartridge which is velocity, energy, momentum but push for good “Accuracy” to help ensure humane and quick kills no matter what distance I am proficient at in taking game.

This requires bullets that do not come apart or act only like arrows. Bullets that will kill up close, at medium ranges and extended ranges. That have good terminal results while flying well and stable at all the distances that I shoot. I will take short, medium or long shots (500-600yds) and the bullet needs to hold together as well as fly well at the velocities my Weatherby will be pushing them. I hunt swamps, thickets, gas line right-of-ways, desert mountains, open bean fields, prairies, eastern forest, ponderosa forest and alpine meadows. With either of my Weatherby’s after careful load development and practice, I will be able to accomplish the above style and method of hunting. With my Weatherby’s I will be able to hunt like this extremely well.

I want to have cartridges that are versatile and rifles that do not weight a ton like some long range rifles. I want to be able to carry it anywhere I go to hunt applying my method of hunting and techniques. I am able to do this with my Weatherby’s which are my preference although other brands and makes of rifles can also accomplish the above mention task, but my Weatherby’s do fill the bill very well. When you put top quality hunting scopes like a Zeiss or Swaro on your Weatherby, you have what I believe is an all around package that allows you so much flexibility. Also a rig one can be proud to own that meets the needs of practical hunting for most hunters in all opportunities and places. Yes, give me a Weatherby and let me go hunting.

What hunting style do you employ and what rifle brand and cartridges do you prefer?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default hunting not shooting

spot and stalk backpack for mountain game, max wt rifle with full mag and 5-6 rounds on stock 6.5 to 7.0 lbs, 30 cal or greater, at least 165 gr premium bullet, minimum vel 3000 fps, accuracy < MOA for 5 shots at 100 and 300 yds and zeroed for 250 to 300 yds, strongly prefer SS and syn or "coated" metal parts, 2.0 to 2.5 lb. trigger, usually Rem (with Sako extractor) but Win or Dakota for anticipated dangerous game

Default Meat and potatoes.

I'm all about simplicity. Function over form.

Rifle Remington M700 Stainless/synthetic.
    My main hunting rifle is a 300 Win Mag.
    with my handloads I can keep it inside an inch at 100yds with a barnes tsx 200gr. Thats all the performance I need.

Generally I prefer the standard calibers for ammo availability and versitility.
    30-06
    300WM
    45-70

Most of the hunting I do is medium range 250yds or less, walking (stillhunting). If I find myself in a treestand, canoe or motorboat, I generally use a 45-70. Most shots are well under 100yds and you can't beat that stomping power at that range.

Anyone who has read my posts can probably get a good idea of my preferences. I agree with AKFshrmn on function over form, although I do like a good looking rifle. Synthetic stocks and stainless steel barrels for me. I'm also a stickler for speed and accuracy but would pick accuracy over velocity if I had to. By accuracy I mean .5 MOA is what I will strive for if I have the rifle that will do it. I recently put money down on a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM and a Cooper 270 Win. Both are great rifles and the Cooper comes with a .5 MOA guarantee. I'll be putting Nightforce scopes on them 5.5 - 22 x 50. I own two 7mm Rem Mags, a Ruger M77 and S&W M1500 (which is a Howa gun). I used to think the 7mm was the perfect all around rifle (for lower 48) but these days I lean more toward the 300 mags. I also have an SKS for fun.

The next rifle I get will be put together by a good gunsmith with a Lilja stainless, fluted barrel, and a Montana Rifle Co action and probably a McMillan stock. I'm leaning towards a 338 RUM and if I lived in AK that is definetly what I would get. It can push a 225 gr bullet at 3000 fps + which equates to 4800 ftlbs and 99 lb ft/sec of momentum which is significantly more energy and momentum than 45-70. It would be quite flat shooting and I think I could realistically expect sub .5 MOA out of it. A top quality accurate rifle for less than $2K. I think it would be a great AK bear gun and hope to get a chance to use it on a big brownie. The ultimate AK cal might be a 375 RUM which could push a 260 gr bullet at 3000 fps + with basically the same speed and trajectory of a 338 RUM but a lot more power. I have considered that cartridge but I think it might be a little too much gun for me at 5'7" and 160 lb.

I think Barnes TSX, TTSX, and MRX bullets are the ultimate hunting bullets. I like the TTSX for increased BC and have read a few write ups on how accurate they are, up to 50% more accurate than the TSX which is already a good bullet. One guy said he went from .75 MOA in the TSX to .5 MOA in the TTSX.

My approach to hunting and shooting is broad. I like walking and covering a lot of territory. I will usually cover 10-15 miles in a day of hunting. I like high plains and mountain hunting and I like spot and stalk. My general rule of thumb is to get as close to my game as possible but sometimes circumstance dont permit getting close in a reasonable amount of time. I like up close and personal and I also like putting my crosshairs on an animal at long distance, squeezing the trigger and watching it drop. The greatest thrill I ever had hunting was bugling in two bull elk. In the first case I was bow hunting with a partner and we connected with a bull, bugling at each other back and forth while we and the bull were closing the gap over about a 30 min period. I put my partner out ahead of me about 30 yds so he could get the shot. But the bull would just not come any closer than about 60 yds. It was an awesome experience as the bull was very angry and loud. He was bugling very loud, and digging up dirt, plants and rocks and throwing them with his antlers and snapping 2 and 3 inch sapplings like toothpicks. It was a little intimidating. The next time I bugled in a bull, he closed the gap so quick I didn't have time to find cover so I just squatted behind a sage bush till he came up to within 15 yds. He was mad too, looking around for this intruder. I shouldered my 7mm and slowley raised up, scoped him and squeezed the trigger. His body shuttered and he leaped up and spun 180 degrees, started running back downhill and collapsed in a heap after one bound.

Basically, I like having a flat shooting accurate rifle that gives me flexabillity in hunting sittuations for close or long range shots.

Good thread

Default I probably like everyone else...

Like the rest of you on this forum, hunting is extremely important to me. It is a big part of who I am, and it is deep in my being. I've lived and hunted up here for more than 20 years, and for a guy who works full-time, I make sure that I spend a fair amount of time in the field every big game season. As such, I have developed some personal values or routines about hunting that I guess could be called style:

1. I'm very particular about who I invite to hunt. I don't hunt with strangers or casual acquaintences. I have a handful of good friends and family with whom I choose to share hunting time, and I try to be a very loyal hunting partner to them.
    2. Like many of you I have several "secret spots" on public land that we have discovered for spring black bear, fall moose and grizzly, etc.. I protect those spots by keeping them quiet, and I mostly return to them year after year...happy to see that they have not really changed much...and we usually harvest.
    3. I like to spend as many days in hunting camp as my friends or family can get off from work. I enjoy the primal rhythm that is part of being in the field, sleeping in a tent, being scared at night, etc....and that rhythm for me is not found in day or weekend hunts.
    4. Our hunting camps are remote wilderness. We get to them by canoe with outboard and ATV (going beyond the lightly traveled trail), and we also use those transportation systems to haul out meat. Once in camp the ATV is parked, and we do alot of walking and climbing while actually hunting. I have little patience for those who tout their hunting noblity over others because they walk in and out.
    5. I like to only hunt with my own handloads (just like fishing with fly rods that I have made).
    6. I'm all about calling-in game, as well as spot and stalk...and I like to get as close as I can...it's part of the fun. I've blown alot of stalks, but I've also had some absolutely fantastic stalks!

There's more, but I suspect that I am alot like the rest of you...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Like the rest of you on this forum, hunting is extremely important to me. It is a big part of who I am, and it is deep in my being. I've lived and hunted up here for more than 20 years, and for a guy who works full-time, I make sure that I spend a fair amount of time in the field every big game season. As such, I have developed some personal values or routines about hunting that I guess could be called style:

1. I'm very particular about who I invite to hunt. I don't hunt with strangers or casual acquaintences. I have a handful of good friends and family with whom I choose to share hunting time, and I try to be a very loyal hunting partner to them.
    2. Like many of you I have several "secret spots" on public land that we have discovered for spring black bear, fall moose and grizzly, etc.. I protect those spots by keeping them quiet, and I mostly return to them year after year...happy to see that they have not really changed much...and we usually harvest.
    3. I like to spend as many days in hunting camp as my friends or family can get off from work. I enjoy the primal rhythm that is part of being in the field, sleeping in a tent, being scared at night, etc....and that rhythm for me is not found in day or weekend hunts.
    4. Our hunting camps are remote wilderness. We get to them by canoe with outboard and ATV (going beyond the lightly traveled trail), and we also use those transportation systems to haul out meat. Once in camp the ATV is parked, and we do alot of walking and climbing while actually hunting. I have little patience for those who tout their hunting noblity over others because they walk in and out.
    5. I like to only hunt with my own handloads (just like fishing with fly rods that I have made).
    6. I'm all about calling-in game, as well as spot and stalk...and I like to get as close as I can...it's part of the fun. I've blown alot of stalks, but I've also had some absolutely fantastic stalks!

There's more, but I suspect that I am alot like the rest of you...
    Excellent post Doc, very well framed and expressed with passion. Also very well thought out and that says a lot about your hunting skills, understanding and methods. Thanks, I really enjoyed reading your post.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am a gun whore.

I have owned five 300 ultras in win mod 70's they were all going to be my "hunting rifle" but I never killed anything with any of them before I sold them. The last one I sold before I even fired one shot in it. It was a super grade and my dream rifle.

Had a 300 wsm super shadow CRPF and a 375 ultra rem SS synthetic. Never shot anything with them either.

I find I spend more time and have more fun fixing up loads for rifles than I do trying to find a fork horn moose. Every few years when I can afford a deer hunt is when I do any shooting with a rifle.

dont remember when but I have hunted with and shot

DEER 338 win mag ruger 77
    300 win mag ruger 77
    223 mini-14
    22-250 rem 700 bdl
    44 mag taurus super comanche
    41 mag ruger blackhawk
    high country bow

Moose 338 win mag ruger 77

Sheep 338 win mag ruger 77
    308 pre-64 winchester M70

Caribou bow pse phaser

In 97 I shot a black bear and a forkie moose with a pre-64 mod 70 308 win. A Colorado elk with a mark V sako 375 H-H.

98 I shot 3 deer with a Ruger 300 win mag and one deer with a 41 mag 4-5/8 ruger blackhawk.

I think it was 2002 and 2003 I got a fork horn moose each year with my bow. Thought I had moose hunting down but have not been able to find any more legal bulls. I have never seen a 50" moose during/in a legal hunting season/area in my 22 years in Alaska. Once saw a 40" when any bull was legal and let my brother have the shot but he missed. Would have been his first big game. I do not regret that one though.

2005 I shot two deer with a winchester mod 70 classic 300 win mag and one with a 454 casull raging bull 6.5"

2006 I shot a caribou with my high country bow.

Right now I plan on doing some spring bear hunting and will take in no particular order: a 500 S&W handi-rifle, 30-06 push feed mod 70,454 raging bull and a 41 mag taurus tracker titanium. May consider my wifes 300 WSM mod 70 also.

I prefer to still hunt. I get close to a lot of game and that is what keeps me going back. None of it is usually legal but it can be fun non the less. Last year two of my uncles came up from out of state and while on a float hunt we saw about a 32" inch moose walk by us at 100 yards or so. My uncles were very excited and gave a couple calls that made the moose stop and stare for a couple minutes. My uncle that did the call said that having that moose stop like that made his hunt. He has shot several deer ,elk and black bears but that was his first moose hunt. We did see 7 or 8 bulls but none were legal.

This year I will try calling for bears. I will donate to the draw system again but I gave up on those long ago. I am hopeful about bear calling as the bears are everywhere and I do not know anyone who calls bears. Maybe it will be my Alaska hunting trick that suits me.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

RMiller said, "I am a gun whore" Yea, I can identify and it has taken years for me to slow down - NOTE I said slow down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have heard of the Weatherbys since my childhood mentor bought a 300 Wthby some 45 yrs. or so, although my dad did not care for them as his choice was the pre-64's. You're post on Weatherbys still has me clinging to the glimmering hope of doing a 375 Weatherby down the road, maybe the new Winchesters in a .375HH and reaming it out.

Currently, my choices is non-glare finishes, controlled feed and standard long actions, Lyman 48's or Redfield 70's and NECG for irons. Low powered scopes for in brush type of hunting as "my Alaska" is less than 100yds many of the times. Subsistance is my issue and have fed my children and wife and many others for yrs. with Moose meat. I must have a rifle that will work all the time and lean toward the Mauser designs of sorts. I have lost one bull moose but before I say that I must have followed him close to 3 miles and nary anymore blood-a nick is what it was.

My bullets must work either in 2 ways near 100% weight retention and/or completely pass thrus. Recoil cannot be in the 50BMG catagory and sight acquisition must quick!

I like wood over synthetic all the time but synthetic has its benefits although it is a bit noisy going thru the brush. Barrel lengths at one time would have been satisfactory at 18 or 20" in length but anymore I can go up to 24" and live with it My next choice is going to be in 26" length in a non-belted magnum standard action caliber-9,3x62 Mauser or........

Medium bores is a likely choice in Alaska and the need for a true big-bore is not truly necessary but that is personal. In the past I have owned only one .375 caliber and that was in the RUM flavoring and was very happy with the results as a grizz gun but....way too much of a good thing for moose.

I've been bitten by the "Mauser bug" in the past couple of yrs and don't see a need for a push feed unless I go to a small high velocity caliber liken to the 220swift or up to a 280AI but I have a.243 pre-64 currently and it plain works thus far.

I can't say I have owned all the variables as far as rifle manufacturers go but enough to say what I like to date. Heavy bullets for calibers are norm for me and work in close.

regards,

Default gun whore

I don't think you guys really are . If you can remember all the guns you've bought , your not . I don't think the kind of ladies your dancing with in this thread could remember all the guys from Fairbanks they've had .

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    I don't think you guys really are . If you can remember all the guns you've bought , your not . I don't think the kind of ladies your dancing with in this thread could remember all the guys from Fairbanks they've had .
    HA!!!!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN YOU MADE ME HURT MYSELF!!!! THAT IS TO FUNNY
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It is not fair to compare woman with rifle enthusiests.

I doubt most woman can remember the last ten guys they have had.
    They forget them as soon as they are done with them.

I still love all the rifles I have left behind.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".