Thread: Travel past Knik Glacier??

Default Travel past Knik Glacier??

So once you get back to the glacier, are you able to proceed past the glacier to the south to Inner Lake George. Looks like it is about 7 miles on in there. Undertanding this is a trip on ice so I'm thinking it is only possible while everything is frozen up. Just curious if the Knik Glacier has this path completely closed off, or if you can squeek a wheeler through there??? Looks like the Colony Glacier would be visible back there also.
    EricL

That is a question often asked. I have never heard of anyone being able to "squeak" a wheeler by Knik Glacier. It is pretty much open the other side of the Glacier. There are multiple cub strips there and people have transported wheelers in there. Upper Lake George is pretty much dried up and you could prob drive almost to the headwaters of Twentymile River on the west side and to Marcus Baker Glacier on the east side. Lots of black bears, goats, and some sheep mostly on the west side.

Thanks for the update. I may have to give it a try. Sounds like a beautiful area if you can access it.
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Thanks for the update. I may have to give it a try. Sounds like a beautiful area if you can access it.

Let me know when you try, I want to film the first 200 yards or so. Have you even looked at the gateway? There's the lake, the knik river flowing out of it and about a 2-300 yard run to the entrance of the canyon where the creek (forgot the name) flows out. It starts out as a canyon, no idea how far it goes as rock on both sides but it opens up into rock on one side and glacier on the other. Is there a gap between the glacier and mountain now? You can bet on it because if there wasn't it would be daming all the water up AGAIN. From 1918 to 1966 the Glacier slammed into the mountain and damed it up every year. MONSTER FLOOD each spring when it finally released. Locals used to bet on the day it would flood. Obviously nobody could make it driving thru there before 1966. Since then who knows. I live on the river and have been trying to find out for a long time. I've stood there 50+ times checking it out at every time of the year. You have to drive across the lake right where the Knik starts, while I've seen the lake with 4 or 5 inchs of ice (maybe) the Knik river right there would be open and hauling ass. I've been up there 4 or 5 times with friends and a plan to go to Lake George. All it took is one look and NOBODY would follow me.
    I talked with some guys who said they were in that canyon on jeeps, early spring of some year. Go look at the area and tell me if you believe them.

Eric, I came on here in Feb looking for some fool to go with me. No takers.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=lake+george

Hey DWS, I remember reading that post back when you put it in. I say I'll try anything once but then again, I've gotten older and hopefully a little wiser. I'd sure like to see if it is possible. Time is getting short. How are the current conditions at Jim Creek right now?
    If I remember correctly, when Cory and I were out there the other day, it looked like it was pretty open but then again, I wasn't thinking about going that far in so wasn't paying that much attention...
    EricL

Drysuit, PFD, some sort of floatation ring for the ATV. Go for it. You break through your risk of dieing is lowered significantly and eventual ATV recovery is likely. Run with a rope trailing behind you so your partner can reel you back in

It is definately intriguing. Is it legal? Is the area closed to ATV's?