Thread: Muzzle break needed for 340 wby

Default Muzzle break needed for 340 wby

Any recommendations for a muzzle break for a 340 wby? Also Anchorage area gunsmith that can thread barrel and install?

Default Stan Jackson-south a

For about $185 he threaded my in-laws sako and then turned out a muzzle brake from stainless bar stock. The fit and finish is perfect. Unfortunately, we have not had an opportunity to shoot the rifle with the new brake installed. Mr Jackson is near C and Klatt on the south side of town.
    Do a thread search for Stan Jackson and you should be able to find
    his phone #.

Some muzzle breaks are very loud. The worst ones are the home gunsmithed multiple holes ones. The biggest problem with brakes however is improper installation, ie, the bullet hitting the sides of the brake. If not installed by folks who specialize in them, you need to check this carefully

I had a KDF brake installed on one of my rifles, but it's the one with 30 holes, and extremely loud. I have heard that Vais (?) brakes are a little quieter, but don't know if anybody in Alaska installs them. Keep in mind that all brakes direct the sound to the sides (all the way around), and also to the front like any other barrel. It's the sound coming out the sides that are most harmful, since these are closer to your ears. I was looking at a Vais brake, and could not figure how it would be quieter than other brakes Whichever you get on your rifle, make sure that you also buy a thread protector, which is used those times when you decide to remove the brake for hunting.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/index.htm

Don't even think about having it done local. Let the above do the install.

This is the only worthwhile break made for noise reduction and recoil reduction. Lots of breaks will reduce recoil, some of them will not screw the accuracy up while doing it.

Get the Vais brake, or wonder why there is a line of fellow shooters standing behind you at the covered range waiting to have a go at you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Mag-na-port told me their Mag-na-brake direct the gases 11% forward to help keep the noise directed away from the shooter.
    I just had www.rwhart.com install their brake a my Kimber .325 WSM and it really works to keep the muzzle down. They did mine with a 1 day turn around time.

Default Vais brake

I had an enlightening conversation with Mr. Vais regarding his brake. He sold the rights to his old brake because....he made a significant improvement (eg. redesign) to his original brake which he now sells directly himself. I originally got his contact info from "Precision Shooting". He is a very interesting fellow to talk with - once you get past his rather heavy accent. He will install his brake for you or send it to the gunsmith of your choice. I would have no qualms about having Stan do the work given that he is a machinist by training...in addition to a gunsmith.

Default Mag-na-Port

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
    Mag-na-port told me their Mag-na-brake direct the gases 11% forward to help keep the noise directed away from the shooter.
    I just had www.rwhart.com install their brake a my Kimber .325 WSM and it really works to keep the muzzle down. They did mine with a 1 day turn around time.

Bobby Hart from RWHart in PA. copied there style from Larry Kelly the inventor of the muzzle break and owner of Mag-na-Port International.

Mag-na-Port does work that is second to none.

I have had long guns ported by Anwser and a few others but always have them removed and replaced with Mag-na-Port breaks.

I know Kenny Kelly really well and would be more than happy to put a call in to get it done faster. That goes for anyone else on the forum. If any of you want break work done or any other gunsmithing I will make the recommendation and cut there turn time by a 1/4.

http://www.magnaport.com/
    The best way to change someones mind is with a ROCK!!

Smile

Hunthard-

I have a Weatherby Mark V Synthetic in .340Wby and love it! It weighs 8lbs from the factory and has a brake from Magnaport. I also have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 7mm STW (8mm Mag necked down) that weighs 8 3/4 lbs from the factory that does not have a brake.

I would rather shoot the .340Wby with 250gr Partitions over the 7mm STW with 140gr Accubonds. There is way less recoil in the .340Wby!

And before anybody says anything, the both have the same scope (Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x 40mm) and rings.

I had both in Saskatchewan whitetail hunting this year and chose the .340 over the 7mm.

The only complaint I've ever had was from a guy 2 benches down from me at the range who said it made his hat move every time I pulled the trigger.

By the way, Mag-na-port Int'l is 30 miles from me and they do fantastic work.