Thread: shipping a rifle to hunting transporter

Default shipping a rifle to hunting transporter

Got a hunt booked up north, and I want to ship as much stuff as possible prior.
    I know the law gets pretty strict when sending guns back, and forth from the lower 48 but how about shipping a rifle within the state of AK?

Default Ship to

Ship it to yourself. It doesn't matter who's address it goes to, as long as it doesn't change possession. You will just have to be the one who opens the package on the other end.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

You can ship long guns within the State through the mail without the use of an FFL holder from one resident to another.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Ship it to yourself. It doesn't matter who's address it goes to, as long as it doesn't change possession. You will just have to be the one who opens the package on the other end.

Dosen't matter if it changes poesession or not. It is quite legal to sell long guns to residents of your state and ship them directly through the mail to the other person without going through an FFL holder.

Default Good

So do I just lug my gun case into the post office, and just have em ship it like thy would any ol big box?

Yes that is how it's done. Make sure you insure it as the Mail in the State of Alaska is handled by lot's of non-postal people. Send it by Priority Mail and put padlocks on the case.

Thanks! That will save some hauling around. Save my back for packing meat.

Make sure its padded/protected good, I have seen part of the postal shipping system, I am not gonna lie to you, it ain't pretty.

Default What if?

Just thought of a possible issue. If perhaps the gun gets damaged, and of course I will have it insured - how long do you have once it reaches it's destination to report it? That gun will be there long before I would be able to open, and check it. I bet it's like 48 hrs. I can just call to find out of course but does anybody know by chance?

Wow I had NO idea this could be done! Good info, thanks.

Default mail worked well

I mailed all my gear from Ohio by priority mail in "06" addressed to myself in care of the outfitter at his PO box. Rifle was in a cheap hard plastic case and the packed in a well padded cardboard box. Markings cannot indicate that the carton contains a firearm. Don't mail you're ammo, it's not leagal. before I returned home, I re-addressed and used the same cartons and the outfitter mailed everything back to me. I was amazed that it only took 4 days for my gear to get to AK.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Just thought of a possible issue. If perhaps the gun gets damaged, and of course I will have it insured - how long do you have once it reaches it's destination to report it? That gun will be there long before I would be able to open, and check it. I bet it's like 48 hrs. I can just call to find out of course but does anybody know by chance?

The Post Office will not even except an insurance claim until at least 30 days after the item was mailed.