Thread: jet boats on the sag?

Default jet boats on the sag?

I've been looking at the sag river lately and can't seem to find much info on it. Does anyone know about the river conditions (depth, width, boulders etc) and if it is runnable in a jet boat? Can you even get a jet boat to the river? Pictures and any help would be awesome.
    thanks
    abcrabb@hotmail.com

check the archives re: Sag. There have been a number of threads in the past re: access and navigability.

boat up ivashak

i run it every year in my jet boat
    boat launch at mile 50 (where alot of folks launch to go up ivashak) have had to used high lift jack last 3 years to get boat into water. very low water. launch is just off gravel bar. small side braid off main channel. main channel about mile up stream. basically no boulders there. alot of shallow ripples but not bad.. ....nice launch at ice cut but good rapids for few miles down stream ...up stream is alot of boulders and rapids tried it once first year with jet boat....5 foot standing waves scared the crap out of me. thought we were going swimming. took on 50-60 gallons of water got turned around and out of there.

100 yards up from mile 50 boat launch

little two man raft between ice cut and happy vally below serious rapids
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 03-28-2008 at 21:49. Reason: add photos
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

thanks guys. the pic just loaded. how is the hunting, and how far down river did you/do you go?

hunting is fair couple, stalks each day. basically i "road hunt" the river.
    low #'s last few years when i have been there.....
    timing is everything.
    I see more caribou up Ivashak but have to deal with rifle hunters. river gets alot skinnier and friends have beat up their boats up there.....mine is armor plated
    down river ? 6-8 miles less bou further we have gone few straight out from launch .....run up then down main stream.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Another Spot Between Ice Cut And Happy Vally

BELOW RAPIDS HERE , CLOSER TO HAPPY VALLY, HELPED FELLOW BOWHUNTER RECOVER WRECKED CANOE AFTER HE DUMPED IT 2-3 DAYS BEFORE....LOST MOST OF CARIBOU AND ALL HIS GEAR AND SPENT A COLD NIGHT ON SHORE

thanks for the info nimrod. the botom of your boat is petexed, how often do you rub bottom? and how much water does your boat run? thanks again for all the info, it helps a lot!

my boat will run in 1-2" of water. usually i do not touch on sag....below happy valley. Unless i screw up The bottom of my boat extremily heavy alum with 1/2" uhmw bolted on and 13' wide 5/8" thick strip down keel on top of that.
    2 years ago water was so low from launch to main river would tap bottom 2-3 times getting to main channel.....i was about only jet boat running out of there at that time most others were at mile 45.5 traveling way out on gravel bar to launch on main channel. Which technically is illegal but was being overlooked. was in sept and weather was getting colder and water level was dropping daily.

most jet boats will do fine on the Sag and Ivashak to a point. biggest problem is most folks overload the boats. 4-5 guys in a 20' sportjon with alot of gear or 3-4 caribou..another proble they add to that is try running late after sun goes down.

what type boat do you have?

I have a jetcraft xtreme shallow. it'll do 2" of water

you should not have any problems running sag or ivashak
    have proper get off gravel bar equipment , just in, case though
    i will be up there in August for a 5-6 day hunt. this year

hey, thanks for all the info,

Ak Nimrod,

Whats the latest you can run or would run up there ? Now that I have a descent engine on my airboat they are getting up to 5,000 hrs out of these engines. I might give it a try.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

varies year to year. went up one year 10-12 Sept, alot of slush and ice floating in river , blowing snow, 20-30mph winds( JUST A NICE BLIZZARD).....spent the night NO BETTER IN MORNING and left next AM. went down to coldfoot to hunt moose. but I have been there 3rd week of sept and had no problem......usually i'm out of there by 2nd week of sept. my jet boat will suck up slush and over heat and will shut down, so that becomes a problem. if we had waited a few days we might have been able to run???? everybody else had headed south as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    everybody else had headed south as well.
    Ya mean I could have the place to myself with an airboat . Thanks for the info
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

you can get away from people with that airboat, but you likely wont have it to yourself. There are quite a few airboaters going up the echooka and surrounding areas.