Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Packed for the Hunt! (Oops...)

Default All Packed for the Hunt! (Oops...)

OK guys and gals - we all spend plenty of time getting ready for our remote hunting and fishing trips...what things have you THOUGHT you packed, only to get to camp and realize you didn't bring it?

I'll start...

On an outfitted hunt years ago, an Otter was taking 5 of us out to base camp all at once with our gear. Since he was also carrying fuel for other camps, he made us lighten our loads, and leave some stuff at Aleknagik Lake that was flown out the next day.

I had sorted my gear pretty well, but hadn't planned on leaving half of it at the dock, so I had all I needed for the next day....EXCEPT for ammo, which I left at the dock. Luckily I was packin the trusty .06 that year, another guy was also, so I borrowed ammo from him until mine made it to the field.

What about all of you...what sticks in your mind as the most memorable things you've ever left behind?

It wasn't me, but my brother was dropped off on a solo fly-in hunt and left behind his food. All of it. He ended up subsisting on berries and ptarmagin and being just fine, but I recall my mother getting pretty stressed out when she heard the news from the pilot who realized the error upon his return and found himself unable to get back to my brother due to the weather.

I've forgotten a lot of stuff, but it's usually convenience kind of things - a fishing pole, flies, camp chair, etc. Never anything that totally changed the nature of the hunt.

Duck stamps come right to mind.

So much for opening day...

Default Boltless rifle

Once for a black bear hunt had my partner leave the bolt to his rifle on my reloading bench! Luckily the pilot had not yet left before we identified the problem and he was able to drop off the missing bolt the next day.

My dads friend years ago spotted a bear on a mountain side and after carefuly planning his stalk he went to pick up his......rifle.....oh @#$%..... The rifle was at there last camp a mere 100 highway miles away! They did the only logical thing drove the 200 mile round trip retrieved the rifle and still got back with time to stalk and kill the bear!

Default I forgot....

I have left the bolts to my rifles at home a couple of times over the years (our gun laws prohibit carrying the bolt in the rifle whilst in transit) once was only an hour from home but the last time was 400 miles from home needless to say I didn't do much shooting on that trip.
    il vaut mieux ętre bon que la chance

Default D'ho

My dad and I got dropped on Monsoon lake in unit 13. We had a heavy camp. We had tarps and tents. Rifles, pistols, and ammo enough to invade Canada. Stoves and enough food to last into winter. We setup camp and laid out some grub for the night. "Get me a fork" I ask my dad. "You packed the utensils get it yourself" he tells me. I hadn't packed any utensils. So I spent the next week eating with a spruce fork.
    Another time I had a winter 'Bou tag for unit 13 So we parked on the Denali Hwy and went in 10 mile on snow machines. We came on a nice sized herd and I nailed one. "Hand me the rollup" I asked my dad (we kept our knives in a canvas rollup) "You packed the rollup get it yourself". "S**t"!!! Anyway I now know how to gut and skin a Caribou with a dull 2" swiss army knife.
    The moral of the story is you never know how important a fork, knife and spoon are until you're out in the woods without them.

My biggest oops was forgetting a saw on a fly-in moose hunt. Actually, I had one of those 8" folding jobs, but that was it. Ever watch a guy from Indiana saw off a set of moose horns with an 8" saw? Funny as hell, but it was his moose

I forgot my sleeping bag on an eight day fishing/camping trip. It sucked, even with a stove in the tent.

The most memorable…..
    1. Long ago, for got the magazine for my rifle - not the end of the world, turned it into a single shot - what a concept, aim, think about not having a second bullet, aim again, then pull the trigger when sure - it was a good lesson.
    2. Canoed across a river into some new territory with my hunting partner, one of those days you could tell something special with the animals was going to happen. My partner was so excited to explore the new area he left his rifle in the canoe - not a big deal but the picture I took of him walking into the woods without rifle - priceless.
    3. Next day, across the same river my partner realized he had left the bolt to his rifle back at camp, that was a bigger problem - he went back across the river, drove back to camp to get it, I went hunting.
    4. Now and then I would let my wife pack the food for the guys fishing or hunting trip. Who to blame when short a meal or two - the wife or the stupid guy for not double checking everything? It does not work to blame the wife, she will not cook or help next time.

Remedy - Very anal lists for gear and food for each and every type of occasion.

I've forgot license and tags before - Ammo as well...Once forgot a knife too...Day enders real quick :P

Bug dope. Toilet paper. Water purification means. Raingear.

The most memorable, though, was relying on someone else to provide food for a 2 month stint on a remote island, and finding 1 can of coffee in the gear, for two diehard coffee addicts. We rationed to one and a half cups of coffee for the two of us each morning, and still ran out two weeks before the boat arrived. Also on that trip we had no extra water storage, and the beautiful stream we had been deposited on went dry during breakfast of our first morning there. Fortunately the ship came back with some collapsable water jugs that we were able to fill whenever the stream was running. In the gear packers' defence though, they did pack enough TP for nearly a roll a day apiece. We didn't run out of TP!

Default Shotgun, anyone?

Years ago our family was a member of a duck club on Bradford Island, which is located in the delta between Stockton, California and the Bay Area. Anyway it was about a three-hour drive out to the club, involving a ride on a ferryboat that only ran once an hour. We got all the way out to the parking area, put our waders and jackets on, and then realized that we had forgotten to put the shotguns in the pickup. DOH!

Dad never lived it down.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I once forgot a knife of any kind and realized it only after the animal was down. I smashed the end of the spent rifle cartridge (30-06) flat and honed a decent edge to field dress.

Wyatt

Default opps

I once forgot to take the safety off! (chukle)

Honestly....the only thing I've left home without when traveling and hunting in Alaska is my hunting license.

I've forgot bait once too for fishing.

I've also poorly judged the amount of food I'd want on a multiday backpacking trip.

I forgot to take my second wife one time on a two week hunt, luckily she was gone when I got back.

My very first float trip (fortunately it was on the lower Chulitna and just an overnighter) I forgot our sleeping bags.
    I took a friend's son along
    Tent?...check.
    Ground cloth?...check.
    Sleeping Pads?...check?
    We got lucky and it didn't rain...but we wuz cold
    It's been 12-13 years and he remembers that trip fondly (lucky me)

Made it ALL the way into the backcountry before realizing I'd forgot to bring socks. I am an expert at washing socks in a 2 quart cook pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

Made it ALL the way into the backcountry before realizing I'd forgot to bring socks. I am an expert at washing socks in a 2 quart cook pot.
    I can picture the camp conversation over dinner on that trip.

Hunting Partner "So Erik this Mountain House tastes kind of errr.... different"

Erik: "yeah it's my special blend of spices, primarily foot sweat with just a hint of toe jam"

Hunting partner. "eeewwwwhugh, hack, spit, gurgle"

Erik: "Hey don't spew any of that on my socks I just WASHED THEM!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I once forgot a knife of any kind and realized it only after the animal was down. I smashed the end of the spent rifle cartridge (30-06) flat and honed a decent edge to field dress.

Wyatt
    So I take it that you aren't too interested in hearing my sob story about only having a little pocket knife with me on a successful hunt then huh?

Red face missing swivel stud

I haven't forgot real important stuff....but once when I was in a rush to go turkey hunting one morning I got to the hunt area and realized I had forgotten my shotgun!! It was still sitting right next to the door on the way out of the house. Fortunately, all was not lost I had another shotgun in the vehicle, it just wasn't my favorite turkey gun.

On my trip to Africa, I forgot to put my stud back in my rifle stock after shooting on the bench rest.. Its no fun carrying your rifle in hand........luckily I borrowed one from the PH..
    Last edited by Boss Gobbler; 03-31-2008 at 09:40. Reason: wrong title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast