Thread: 375 H&H Build-Up

Default 375 H&H Build-Up

I think that I want to build a 375H&H, do I need a magnum reciever or will a regular Mauser reciever that I have laying around be ok.

Maybe he question should be? What is the difference between the standard receiver and the magnum receiver?

Holding the two receivers side by side the differences are.

(1) The bottom of the receiver is cut out further back towards the trigger.

(2) from the top of the receivers. The Magnum has a notch cut vertically on the receiver ring.

(3) bolt face dia. larger for the mag case head.

(4) Extractor is different, between the two.

(5) Magazine boxes are different.

(6) Followers are different length.

Now, had you asked can you make a standard length work for a .375 H&H? The answer is yes. The question about affordability, comes up. You better have deep pockets.

Look for a donor action from a cheaper rifle, like one from a Yugo made rifle.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Big Al,
    I guess that I asked my question the wrong way and you answered it for me. I did want to know if a standard reciever would work with a 375.
    Does the standard reciever have to be modified much if at all?
    Thanks for the help

As I described above (what it takes to convert one). Find a Mark X in .375 H&H. If you want to spend money to make it better? Then get the deeper magazine box and have McMillan do a deeper stock for the fish belly magazine. Trash the trigger and put a better trigger in.

That is about as far as you could go without being silly and just spending money that would not pay you back with any other real improvement to the rifle.

Now if you just have no limit to the money you want to spend, I can help you there also. The question then becomes, will the rifle you blow 8,000 bucks on be any better than the one you spend under a 1,000 on? Only you can answer that question.

The biggest reason people liked the model 70 over the Mauser was the extra round capacity with the WINCHESTER over the Mauser. What they forget to say is that the Mauser handles gas better than the Springfield clone Model 70.

Let me know which kind of hunter/shooter you are? The Practical hunter/shooter? Or the pie in the sky, **** the cost, full bore ahead type of hunter/shooter.

I can direct you in each direction.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I am in the pratical category, I am looking to build a nice shooting rifle that will not cost me an arm and a leg.

Default Mausers

All military 98's as well as FN's , Mark X's , etc. are technically short for .375 H&H length cartridges ,too much has to be removed from the area forward of the lug recess . As we all know many of these actions have been opened up and stand the test of time , but it does weaken them . The first Weatherby's were based on the FN Mauser action but old man Weatherby saw it as weak and came up with his own . The new Ruger .375 is the perfect ticket for a standard length Mauser . If you have somebody put together your .375 on a standard action make darn sure they're careful with the work on the rails .

You could go spend $900 on a CZ and have a great 375 out of the box. If its a leightweight package you seek, spend some more and get a Sako. Might find a used M70 for a decent price, or wait for them to pull their heads out of the dirt and chamber the "new" M70 is the old H&H. 375's get expensive, in terms of rifles and ammunition/componets. I would get the CZ and go kill stuff.

Thumbs down

A good idea would be to buy a magnum CZ action, they are available and it will require no work for the 375 H&H.

Taking a standard M98 and cutting away enough to work a 375 round through it is not the best idea. Also Montana Rifleman (MRC) makes a very good long magnum action that has been used for many 375 length rifles with no machining away of its strength.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 375 Ruger

suggest a standard rec and the 375 Ruger instead

Default +1 on the CZ!

Right now, most likely the highest quality, least expensive way to go for a .375 on today's market! Can't go wrong.
    Much as I like Mausers, there's just too stinking much work to make one function with the full length H&H rounds. It can be done, just not easily nor inexpensively. I've got a commercial FN that I'm halfway through with, and it's not been a 'fun' project, nor one that I'd attempt on my 'hobbyist' bench again.
    I've done, and seen done, a number of conversions on good M1917 'Enfields'. Plenty of length in the action, they can be picked up cheap, and you CAN do the biggest part of the work yourself. If you can stand the looks of that pregnant looking magazine box, it'll also give a five round magazine! Something to consider.....