Thread: What Grain?

Default What Grain?

Needing some advice on what grain to use. Im using my 338. win mag this year for sheep. (I know big caliber). But Because Im a big bowhunter, Im not going to go out and buy another gun. Im not using my bow becuase this will be my first sheep hunt. So I was wondering what Grain bullet should I use. Im leading towards the 180 grain federal accubond. Does anyone have any advice. The lowest grain that Ive seen is 180. The highest that Ive used is 250 for other game. Well thanks,
    James

Default .338 bullet weight

If it were me, I would use the bullet that provided me with the flattest trajectory possible, so if a 180 gr. win/federal/ remington...whatever shoots the best groups do with that, you already know you have plenty of gun.

Default Grain

I would personally use a bullet with a lead core and guilding metal jacket. Grain does not make very good bullets :-) Bullet construction matters more than weight. If you want to save as much of that excellent meat as possible, use a well constructed bullet weighing from 180-225 grains, ie Nosler, Swift, Barnes, etc.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default What grain?

I,too, used my .338 Win mag last fall for sheep. But only because I was also going for grizzly. In any event, I found that the 180 although better trajectory was not as accurate as the 225 and 250 grain. I am shooting a Rem 700 XCR. I recommend trying both the 180 and 225 to see which one shoots better in your gun. Also as previously mentioned I'd use the Fed 180 NOS or the 225 TB High Energy. The accubond is designed to fragment on impact and when taking a shoulder shot that
    shoulder is reduced to dog meat.
    Good hunting

Default Accubond

Actually the Accubond is a bonded core bullet that is designed to hold together and penetrate, retaining 60-70 percent of it's weight.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Sheep are really not that bullet proof. I would put accuracy as my number one criteria if shooting with a 338. If two different bullets are equally accurate, THEN I would pick the lighter of the two for a somewhat flatter trajectory which becomes more significant with longer shots.

Whatever load interests you. I shot my first sheep with a 338 win mag with 250 noslers.

Wow that brings back memories. It was 20 years ago this year a day before my 17th birthday.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default I agree with “shphtr”, accuracy is your primary concern

That being said I would stay with the same bullet you shoot on a regularly basis.

If you don’t shoot your rifle on a regular basis… then that will be the single best thing you can do. Your rifle will have a bullet or two that it likes, find that bullet, and stay with it.

I agree with the accuracy being most important. The 180 grain will serve you very well. I use 225 grains because it is big enough for big stuff and shoots well. I even carry more foot pounds than the 250 gr. past 100 yards. I don't have to mess with changing my bullet weight (and whatever else is affected by the different weight) for different animals. I know where my bullet is going to impact. Enjoy your sheep hunt.

Default So many choices..........

Lots to choose from. I have been using the 250 gr. .338 bullets for a long time. If I was a young strong sheep hunter using a .338 I would try a 210 gr. Nosler Partition. That proven bullet has been around a long time and can reach out and touch something. It is also enough bullet for a mountain griz. If not that bullet then I would look at a Barnes X in 185 to 225 gr.

A couple of years ago I was getting my rig dialed in for a hunt for both elk and sheep. I settled on 210gr. Barne's TSX. Handload's. It was accurate in my rifle. Remington 700LH 338-06. 3.75" group's off shooting sticks at 400yds. 27" drop. I took a sheep at 367yds. and an elk at 180yds. Faced with anything from big and close to small and far and the other way around I split the middle on bullet weight. I'm normally a heavy for caliber kinda guy. Both kill's were one shot, double shoulder full pass thru's with very minimal meat damage. I'm with the other guy's: accuracy and bullet construction should be first in bullet selection. Then practice (practice,practice,practice) and shot placement should seal the deal. Good luck, Patrick.

Default Doesn't make much difference...

If you are interested go to http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ I worked up a couple tables and tried to paste them in, but it didn't work well. To summarize:

180 Accubond
    V = 3050 fps (est)
    2" high at 200
    3.5" low at 300
    6.5" wind drift at 300 with 10 mph crosswind
    2350 ft-lbs at 300

225 Partition
    V = 2800 fps (est)
    2" high at 200
    4.5" low at 300
    6" wind drift at 300 with 10 mph crosswind
    2660 ft-lbs at 300

So it really doesn't make any difference. The difference between .75 moa and 1.5 moa accuracy will have more effect than the trajectory tables will. If it was me I'd go with the 225 gr partition and just practice a lot to get the drop figured out at 350+. Past 300 yds a ballistic plex reticle is pretty useful.