Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooligan thread!!!!!!

Default Hooligan thread!!!!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get excited about hooligan! I am so excited I started a thread on it!
    I plan on dipping 20mile in about a month.
    What was the earliest anyone has gotten into the smelt?
    Latest?
    Where do you dip?
    Any good info/hints?
    Does net color really matter?
    Outgoing tide or incoming tide?

I'll keep posting info on here, expecially when I actually start getting some smelt! Thanks.

I've never dipped in Turnagan arm, but I have dipped in the Kenai a few times, out of a boat. I dipped there at the end of May, but the fish were a little on the soft side. I hear that earlier is better for firmer fish. I dipped below the warren ames bridge so the water was very murky, and I used old herring seine mesh fastened to an old landing net for a bag, which is relatively visible. The key for dipping out of the boat was to keep the net right on the bottom. I mean like pulling up mud balls. Also, I had more success after the tide started to ebb. I pointed the boat downstream and idled with the current, so I got to cover more ground that way, and the fish were all pointing right into the net. I tied my nets off to the boat just like dipping for red salmon. Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are some good looking fish!!!! I checked my notebook and last year I got them May 18th. I heard the same about the firm meat on earlier fish too.
    Man I can't wait!!!!

Default Dag-naggit, just another thing to get excited about!

Great thread!

My friend Jeff and I have been talking about it for the past couple of weeks. We are up here in the interior now, and are hoping to make a trip down. We grew up down in Anchorage, and used to hit Turnigan at or near the 20 mile. I would love a status report, cause man it would be really lame to head all the way down and get 12 hooligan!

We used to dip right downstream from the bridge at 20 mile (almost under the bridge). We also used to park on the shoulder there by a couple of ponds Anchorage side and walk down to the bank. Either way we never failed to get 'em.

As for net color, I REALLY don't think that matters! I used to use an old net of my fathers which was pretty much a chain mail basket. It worked too. The really ridicoulous thing is we would catch them in a King salmon net while gillnetting for kings. They would litterally be swimming against the current with the webbing in their mouths. That net had 'bout 6 inch web. Though I wouldn't reccomend that for targeting hooligan.

Default SE hoolies

We have been doing a hooligan project up in Berners the last few years. My partner put a little video together on youtube. We use a little different technique for catching our own personal use hoolies (in addition to our work traps) that is demonstrated in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNrLHgwi4Y

Default Hooligan

Cordova has been hot for about a week for hooligan. Not sure its worth a ferry ride or plane ticket though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Cordova has been hot for about a week for hooligan. Not sure its worth a ferry ride or plane ticket though.
    That is a long trip for those little guys. They will be here soon enough

Did you guys see this video? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fezi0c5d_s

I think the guy said they were on the Big Su. I didn't realize there was a commercial market for hooligan.... Ya learn something every day!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Since they are open now, what is the run timing on the turnagain arm? How early can they be in dipable numbers?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I would say mid april to mid may would be best. I know I'll be keeping a close eye on it and will post as soon as I hear something. I have asked friends who drive the Seward to keep me posted about cars on the side of the road or at pulloffs. (thinking it's most likely dippers).

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Did you guys see this video? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fezi0c5d_s

I think the guy said they were on the Big Su. I didn't realize there was a commercial market for hooligan.... Ya learn something every day!
    I grew up eating smelt ...all the time. My mom bought them at the grocery store and fried them in a pan. Why? Cheap. But I like'm!

Brian

when I was a kid we'd start dipping about now and do pretty well about an hour after low tide.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Big-Su & Yentna

We dip them on the Big-Su and Yentna. It only takes about 15-20 min to fill up a big white fish cooler. The net gets so heavy to bring in the boat that you have to dump a few out to lift it up. The kids love it and it's a great way to start out the summer.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    We dip them on the Big-Su and Yentna. It only takes about 15-20 min to fill up a big white fish cooler. The net gets so heavy to bring in the boat that you have to dump a few out to lift it up.......
    I've caught them on the Yentna like that, but never the Susitna.

I've tried to catch them at Willow, but I always seem to miss the run there.

It seema like they're in the Willow area around the 1st to 5th of June, from what I hear.

Has any one given it a shot yet?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Question Well........

AKBROWNSFAN, have your Seward bound friends given you any reports yet? Ready to go get some hoolies, but family doesn't want to go unless the catching is decent.

NO reports yet. I drove down on Sat after skiiing. The tide was incoming and no one was at the road. I turned around at the hill (kenai penn hill) so I went well past 20 mile with no sign of anyone trying, but it was getting late as well.

I might end up trying this sunday and will post if I do or don't. They'll be here soon!!!

Default Still a bit early IMO

I drove down to check out Whittier yesterday afternoon. I would say it is a bit early. I only saw half a dozen or so eagles on the flats around 20 mile. If you see the eagles, the hooligan will be there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I didn't end up going to 20 mile. Had to much to do on sunday. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks they'll show up. Ocean ice is still far south..........wonder if that will have any effect?

How far do you have to go up on the Yentna to dip net?
    I have been down to 20 mile and done pretty good there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast