Thread: 209A for T/C muzzleloader?

Default 209A for T/C muzzleloader?

Hello. I just recently purchased a T/C 50 Cal. Omega muzzeloader. I am new to the muzzleloading scene and was wondering if I could use the 209A shotshell primers or do I need to use a 209 shotshell primer. Is there a difference between the 209 and 209A? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

CubeCove

Default 209-209a

I was told the 209A primers were better than the regular 209 primers because the 209a will give a more complete burn- quciker ignition and thus better performance. I did not see any difference except that the 209A were a lot more $$$. Being the skeptic I am i think the 209A primers are a marketing ploy but hey I could be wrong-- been wrong what 20 times already today why not once more-lol

I used the regular 209 primers starting out in my Omega. Then I switched to the Remington Clean Bore primers. They reduced the fouling a bit, I notice no difference in ignition time. I was using loose powder and not pellets. I doubt you'd notice any difference in ignition time with pellets either. Cost are comparible.

Thanks for info.

Default More info

Cube- FYI you will get the best results from your Omega by. 1. running barrel dry- no butter like for Hawkens. 2. Use Pellets. 3. Use sabots your manual should have load information at the back- if you don't have that information call Thompson and they will send it by email or USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BZep10 View Post
    Cube- FYI you will get the best results from your Omega by. 1. running barrel dry- no butter like for Hawkens. 2. Use Pellets. 3. Use sabots your manual should have load information at the back- if you don't have that information call Thompson and they will send it by email or USPS.

I tend to favor granular powder over pellets. Mostly for the fact that you can fine tune your powder charge better. For example, you can not shoot 95 grains of pellets. My Omega shoots the ShockWaves best with 95 grains of Triple 7. The pattern starts opening up with 100. On the other hand, my friend uses 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets and gets great accuracy with ShockWaves in his Omega. Of course, all guns are different. And granular powder certainly isn't as convenient as pellets. But with the right powder / bullet combination, those Omegas are incredibly accurate and I sure love seeing the results of that accuracy on paper and on game.

Thanks for the advice. I will be heading out soon to shoot it. Have been waiting to go with someone who is knowledgeable with muzzleloaders. Sounds like a lot of fun.

CubeCove