Thread: Business op

Exclamation Business op

I see a business opportunity here for bear spray rental. Since it can't fly in a comercial airplane, hunters/fishermen have to buy it when they arrive in Anc. (or where ever) . Then when it's time to go home the same problem exist. Can't get it home. OK somebody start a rental for sportsmen . Charge twenty five percent of the cost. Anybody who has to use it surely would be glad to pay the replacement cost. In only four rentals your in the profit . For my part it seems like a win win situation for the rental agent and the renter .
    Hhounds

What does bear spray cost - $30? I doubt people would go to the trouble of renting and then returning a canister for such a low-cost item. I suppose I could be wrong, though.

Default Maybe a

vending machine at the airport? I think they rent cell phones that way in places.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What does bear spray cost - $30? I doubt people would go to the trouble of renting and then returning a canister for such a low-cost item. I suppose I could be wrong, though.
    Better sprays cost in the neighborhood of 50+ . UDAP Magnum Bear Spray w/ Chest Holster 59.95. Cheap insurance but alot to throw away each Ak trip.
    Hhounds

Thumbs up An interesting idea-use the forum to give away items

You do bring up an interesting idea and issue. From personal experience I know and have had to leave and/or give away equipment at the end of hunts/fishing trips/etc and know others that have as well due to airline packing limitations or realization that they would never need/use the gear again. Some of these items included MREs, freeze-dried meals, beer, waders, hiking boots, fishing lures, snag hooks, bug spray, bear spray, propane or other fuel bottles, and many other items as well.

You also see this happen all the time at the RV rental companies--where somebody going home gives all their cooking supplies to somebody coming in to pick up their RV--makes for friendly relations and you can feel like you acted "green" to help the environment if that is what drives your inner sense of worth...

This forum might be an ideal way to link folks together to prevent still usable equipment, food, etc. from going into the dumpsters prior to somebody flying out of Alaska.

I know this issue has been mentioned previously in relation to giving away game meat and also giving guides/assnt guides/packers gifts of equipments as a tip/token of your appeciation.

But for smaller items such as those mentioned above I think we could somehow devise a system here via the forum to share our left over freeze-dried food, MREs, beer, beat-up yet still usable clothing, boots, etc.

Any thoughts on this idea.

Default Bear Spray Rental

I would think their would certainly be some liability issues to sort through first. I don't have nor have I owned a bottle of bear spray, but I assume the bottle's contents are under pressure. So there would probably need to be some type of device to test the pressure to ensure it performs as advertised. I think the next issue would be around protecting yourself from lawsuits surrounding incidental discharge, but perhaps a disclaimer in the rental paperwork would suffice.

I think your idea that you would be able to turn a profit after just 4 rentals @ a rental charge of 25% of the cost to buy a new bottle is probably not going to work to well. Firstly, would this charge be a daily rental charge or the revenue received for each rental regardless of days rented? I would think you would need to build up a daily rental charge based on your costs plus a markup, but at rate that is competitive with the cost to buy. This way you benefit regardless to the number of days each customer rents. Secondly, it sounds like you are saying that you would have little or no variable & overhead costs? I agree that variable costs would minimal, but I don't think you could say that there would not be any overhead costs. The overhead costs like insurance, business license, office space, depreciation, and utilities would have to factor into the price; but if your volume of rentals was sufficient enough to drive down your overhead cost per unit of rental then you could possibly turn a profit. However, that would probably not occur at or near the 4th rental, and that is assuming there is sufficient demand for bear spray rentals to drive down the overhead costs.

Default Different opportunity

I think that if somebody rented firearms (handguns-rifles-shotguns) to non-resident fishermen and hunters they would make more $$ than renting out Bear Spray. Its a pain in the neck to drive thru CN with Firearms (especially handguns) and also can be an issue to fly with them. I think that tourists paying $3K and more per week would pay $300-$500/wk or more for rental of a quality firearm. Again liability issues but at least with a gun you would know if was functional from renter to renter. Is the Bear Spray can Full? 1/2 empty? You know that some foks would just "have to try it out" Just a thought

Lightbulb Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Isnít that the overall idea?? If you want to be profitable do what the Movie Rental places do. When you donít return it charge the consumer 10 times the actual cost of the item... I'm sure im going to catch hell for that comment but if itís about a business then thatís the overall idea...

Also I think youíre looking at the WRONG industry as a whole for promotion purposes. Hunters carry guns and so do Most wise fishermen in Alaska or wherever there are LARGE carnivores. You need to cater to the tourist that might go for a day hike of photo hike that doesnít believe in hurting the pretty little bear thatís just minding his own business. THEY WILL EAT THIS IDEA UP!!! Itís a safety and security blanket per say for them and it wonít hurt the helpless little animals. Milk that SH*T all the way to the bank...

I see a business opportunity here...

Manufacture "Salt Spray" to go with the "Pepper Spray".

The bears will appreciate it while nibbling on the tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2HuntAK View Post
    I would think their would certainly be some liability issues to sort through first.
    I have seen a sign at Sportsman's Warehouse saying that they don't take returns on bear spray I assume that this is for the same reasons. The rest of Live2HuntAK's post is accurate as well.

Default Beer??

Anyone that has or knows someone that has extra beer that they cannot take home with them can pm me here and I would be more than happy to keep them from having to destroy the planet by adding it to a land fill..
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"