Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruvimarrow

Default ruvimarrow

I can't stop thinking about your thread on using your 223 for caribou.

First off I didn't even answer your question concerning your Stevens 200. For the most part as for quality, you pretty much get what you pay for. The Stevens 200 is a cheap gun. It is the bottom end of the Savage line. In my opinion a Savage is a Savage is a Savage, there is very little difference between the Stevens 200 and their top of the line guns. The 200 is less shiny, has a plastic stock and you can see the lathe marks on the barrel. However as far function goes they are all about the same. Since I do have one just like yours behind the seat in my truck, I can attest to the fact that they are very functional, they shoot as straight as any $600 gun on the market and they will more than likely last just as long. Its a tool so use it!

The next part of your question was about using this gun to shoot critters that are bigger than are practical for the 223. From the many posts from the many very experienced hunters I'd have to say that the verdict is in. The 223 just plain and simple isn't the right gun for caribou and sheep. However all of us experts are steering around the obvious. If you had a bigger gun then you would be using the bigger gun but since you don't you were asking out of respect for knowledge if your gun would get the job done. Most of us (me included) have more guns than we can shoot and in that sense we have a silver spoon in our mouths. We/I avoided that big obvious. Why? Because we aren't saddled with one gun! The way I now see it, you took your hard earned money and went out and got yourself a rifle and from the general tone of your post there was some pride in that fact. A pride that we all as gun owners have known. Yet we rained on your parade. I for one am sorry for that!

I was down in the spare room a little while ago and there on the wall is a gun rack and on that gun rack are 5 rifles of calibers that would be very suitable for caribou or sheep. Yet there they sit as really nothing more than novelty items collecting dust. They are all well made and functional guns that I have picked up here or there over the years and have just sort of hung onto them. It just doesn't make sense for me to sit here with these guns that are perfect for the task at hand and at the same time be critical of you for using the only gun you have because its not! Do any of you guys remember scrapping to buy your first centerfire? Boy I do!!

Soooooooooooo heres what I am gonna do. About the first of next week I'm gonna pick out one of these rifles(with scope) and take it to the range and put some rounds through it and then give it a good spit shinning. Then I'm gonna box it up and send it to you absolutely free of charge! More than likely its gonna be a 30-06 because thats what three of them are and it makes the most sense!

To do this legally I will need to send this gun to an FFL licensed dealer in your area! All that is required of you is to find this FFL dealer and get me a signed copy of his FFL!

Any of you regulars with FFL's who live in close proximity of of Delta Junction feel free to jump in and help us out on this one!

When you get the FFL thing figured out then email me at rodneyb@iowatelecom.net and we'll make it happen!

WOW! You are a true gentleman and hunter. I'd be proud to know you and I'm sure Elmer would've been too.

Good for you and good for the person who receives it. J.

Default wow

wow i didn'nt expect this! thats very nice of you and you were right about
    the hard earned mony cuase i work at a grocery store.
    but you see i am only 18 years old sooo you sure you still want to give a rifle away??

More than ever! When I was a lad I was a carry out boy at a grocery store.

18 is old enough to purchase a long gun in this country so it darn sure ought to be old enough to accept one for free.

The only thing that would prohibit this from happening would be your inability to meet the requirements on the 4473 form that your dealer is going to require you to fill out. If you are a US citizen, have a clean record with no judgments against you prohibiting you from legally owning a firearm and have a clear head then the 4473 won't be a problem. Have you filled out a 4473 before? Maybe when you got your 223? If for some reason you can't meet the requirements of the 4473 then you don't need a gun. I doubt thats the case!

Why don't you drop me an email and we can discuss what needs to be discussed without taking up space on this message board!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

If you are a US citizen,

You are not required to be a US Citizen in order to purchase firearms in the country.

Allens right! I just always answered yes to that question and never had to think past it.I stand corrected! Thanks Allen!

Thumbs up Too Cool!

ElmerKeithClone,

That's a very generous gesture! I'm sure most of us who have a few hunts, and years under our belts have a few rifles that don't see the out-of-doors anymore. Still, I would have a difficult time in letting any of them go. Each one has a hunt or a story that goes with it and because of that each is dear to me. I can still remember when I had to sell my only rifle to finance a new one. Still, I think that is very cool and a 30-06 (or 308) is tough to beat as a first rifle, enjoy Ruvimarrow.

Woody

Thumbs up BB Gun

Elmer: come to think of it, I was planning on doing some bear hunting this spring and the only thing I have available is my Crossman. Do you think that'll work?

Standup thing you're doing there Elmer.

thanks man, i did fill those forms out before and i am a citizen (grew up in Alaska)i sent you an email
    maybe i can go spring bear hunting this year I am so happy

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

elmerkeithclone:
    You can ship long guns via US Mail, within the state you're living in without the need of a Gun Dealer. I did that a few months ago, shipping a rifle to one of my wife's, mine too, nephew. You may be living outside of the Greatland.

In any case, I want to make sure you know that.

It was news to me, and until I found out, I was looking for a gun dealer in a small place out in the boosh, or someone to take it on an airplane.

I applaud what you're doing. You're on my "Good Guy List".

It was nice to have the forum up and running again, and now this is icing on the cake.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default WOW

That is the most awesome thing I've ever heard. Down in the General Discusion Forum is a thead "Moments that make you happy to be in Alaska" or something like that. Every time I start to answer the list is just to long. Every single day something happens to me or around me making me happy to live in Alaska. This selfless act has just hit the top of my list. Very Alaskan of you!! My hat is off.

Can't help but think about a song, something along the line of a person leaving a very large tip for a pregnant waitress, then having tire problems or such, and someone related to the waitress helping out. Anyway, the point was along the line of "what goes around comes around." Good for you ruvimarrow, enjoy. Darn outstanding Elmer!

Actually, I live smack dab in the middle of Iowa.

Alaska is only a dream for some. However I can't imagine living there and not having a gun to shoot big critters with.

The "what goes around comes around" concept hits the nail on the head. I am your average middle income guy who has hunted and shot guns his whole life. I wouldn't trade my hunting and shooting experiences for anything (Momma ain't lookin over my shoulder right now). The fact that this fella is 18 years old and likes to hunt sealed the deal. He 's got the rest of his life to fill with these experiences. I hope he kills the biggest gish dern caribou in the northern hemisphere with this gun and a whole truck load of sheep!

Very very generous elmerkeithclone. It makes me happy to see someone do something for another person out of the goodness of their heart.

well looks like i won't have to go bear hunting with just a bow now
    last year i came to my bear bait to find grizzly moma and three 2 year old cubs.
    I would not shoot them because it is illigal but not like my bow would make a diffrence anyway if they charged.
    I was lucky they never noticed me.
    diffrent place for baiting this year and i will be bringing my new rifle with me when i go put bait out.

Guys this has been a GREAT thread!! And Elmer,you've IMPRESSED me!!
    Ok ruvimarrow I'd like to add two requirements of you. PICTURES I WANT PICTURES!! Post a picture of you with your rifle and one of the first head of game you take with it. I'll be waiting.

til later

Good job Elmer, if you ever want to hunt Montana I'll be glad to show you around. And I mean that.

You are very generous Elmer, my (imaginary) hat is off to you.

bullshop junior

You will enjoy that rifle my friend.
    I had a ruger 30/06. I liked it alot. If your shoots and good as mine did, you will rever regret getting it.(like you can regret having one given to you right?)
    Also to elmerkeithclone, that is very nice of you to give him a gun.
    And so you know, I am from the gun shop in delta, that you are sending the gun to.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast