Thread: Fuel Bladders

Default Fuel Bladders

I am have seen some fuel bladders online that look like it might be good option for using on my Yukon hunt this year. Anyone have experience with running bladders for auxilary tanks? Better yet is there a place in Anchorage that sells them? I am looking at the 75-100 gallon range.

Just a thought, a fuel bladder with a 100 gals of gas would weight over 800 lbs EZ. Not to mention the room it would take up. Once filled it would be in place until empty. I use 15 gal squared poly drums. They weight about 100 lbs full, are EZ to stack and secure. Fuel is really hard to keep from moving, a giant fuel bladder would be a beast, and if it got loose... Plus with the polys you can move the weight around to adjust your load.. Plus you could cache some of your fuel, but be wise doing this. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

I know little to nothing about fuel bladders, but I'm guessing they don't have baffles in them. So if you had a large bladder in your boat (wouldn't matter as much in a large, heavy boat) and made a sharp turn or took a wave on your beam, would the fuel slosh around and possibly cause the boat to tip?

Not to nitpick, but 100 gallons of gas would weigh 600 - 650 pounds. Still heavy, but not 800 puonds heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

The fuel plus the weight of the bladder and the tie down system.

Default Kinda spendy

Check this site out. Looks like a good system that would carry your requested load.

http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/m...-bladders.html

I haven't bit that bullet yet.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Done with the search. Went with the 15 gallon Grief cans. Picked up 5 of them to give me about 75 gallons extra fuel for the Koyukuk run. Pricey, but cheaper than any other alternatives.

Where did you end up buying the cans at?

If you need 30 gallon cans I picked up 10 at the Eagle River car wash. I bought them last fall and I think they cost $15 each.
    They are just as heavy duty as the black plastic ones only they are clear and have the same style screw in caps as well.
    Give them a good washing to remove all traces of the liquid soap that was stored in them. The "square " black ones take up a little less storage space on deck but for $15 a piece I can burn the clear ones if I need more deck space coming back home.
    Tennessee

Got the cans from Anchorage Yamaha at the Sportsman show. More expensive than the car wash option, but clean and ready to use.

Fuel bladders are super expensive, and take up alot of room for the amount of fuel they store.

I was looking at those fuel bladders awhile back, cost, placement, and if they got a wild fish hook in them, changed my mind. I am always looking for extra ways to carry fuel, I went with 5 gallon jugs because I could readily lift and fill the tank with them. I have in the past stored three of them in the fish hold on the back deck, but proper venting is always an issue in that space. The roof has space, but that is not the place for weight or fuel. Helicoptering in extra fuel is expensive...Anyone have any unique thing they do to carry fuel besides carrying jugs strapped to the deck? Custom tanks made to the shape of the boat or anything like that?