Thread: Salmon Shark reel

Default Salmon Shark reel

Hey Guys-

I've got a chance to go out this summer for salmon shark, and was wondering what you recommend for equipment? I've done some reading on here, and talked to different people, and seem to be getting different answers.

In particular, what would you recommend for a reel? I can't afford the $500 stuff, but still want a decent one. Some folks tell me to just use halibut gear, while others tell me to make sure I get something with a lever drag. Whatever I get I'll use for both halibut and shark, but I want to make sure it is strong enough for shark. So what do I need?

Star/Lever drag?

Levelwind/non-levelwind?

Spool capacity?

One speed/two speed?

Any suggestions of models that fit in the $100-$200 range?

How would you compare the Okuma Titus with the Penn Senator 114 or 115?

Thanks guys! -JR

I really like the shimano TLD 30's because of their reliability and their customer service is quite good. It is a two speed which you'll appreciate once hooked into a fish with serious shoulders. The cost of the reels are about $315 and with care, will last you a very long time. Loaded with spectra and you'll be set as long as you have a rod that will hold up to the duties of big fish and heavy gear.
    This is a lever drag reel, so you need to set the drag before battle for the strike position and you can always increase by pressing the small button and slightly increase the lever for more drag. Besure to read the manual before setting the drag since you can damage the reel if you try to increase the drag with the preset dial while the reel is engaged, especially with a fish on the end of the line.
    That's just my two cents, good luck.

Default Penn reels...

On the NC coast I have used Penn Senators with great success. A lot of reel for the money and I have reeled in some sharks in the 125-150 lb range with mine over the years. Looks brand new after years of fishing on the end of piers. Big bang for the buck here. The models I have used are in the link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...378&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default if i had the choice

Between the two I would go with the Okuma Titus . Given the choice a lever drag is nice to have, when you feel the light bites its easier to spool out line when they are running & you haven't set the hook yet. Also a two speed reel makes fighting them easier, however if you already have a penn with a star drag you can still get it done. Some of its personal preference & how much you want to spend, the flip side being the more you pay the better quality & longer it should last. Make sure you have at least 20lb drag & it looks like the 50L has plenty of line capacity.
    I'm only a weekend warrior so I have one of each a penn & a shimanao but I don't stay on top of specs like the charter guys, so when they respond they can give more specifics.

So how much line capacity do you guys recommend? 150lb Spectra has about a 30lb mono diameter, which means I could get about 600 yds or so on a TLD 30. Is that enough, or should I be looking at a TLD 50 size? It looks like I'll be spending more than the $200 I planned on since I think I want a lever. I've narrowed it down to either Shimano TLD30IIA, Penn GLD 30II, or Okuma Titus T-30II, provided that 600yds/30dia is enough line.

What do you folks think about the choices between those three?

Thanks again. -JR

You need a reel with some cranking power Two speed reels are a good option. I like the Shimano Tyrnos and the price is about $250.00.

Default Shark!

A good rod butt fighting belt is real helpful especially if your reel has harness clip holes.You can use your legs and lower body for leverage.Just make sure your drag is set accordingly or youll be swimming with the fishes.

Default Reel and Line

http://newenglandsharks.com/shark2.htm
    The above link has some good information on shark fishing and tackle to use.
    The 114 Penn, Shimano TD 25 and the 600 Diawa's work great. The Okuma's are junk. I tried them a couple of years ago and the did not hold up at all real poor design. I did not try the Okuma gold's. Better reels Shimano TLDII 30, Avet PRO EX4/0, and Penn International 30 series. What ever reel you use should have 400 yards of line.
    If you use mono 50 pound test will caught any thing out there but you need capacity. If you use braid line... Power Pro 100 pound test you should use a mono shock leader. Braid can break real easy on a hard hit. Take a piece of 130 pound braid tie it to secured object and jerk it real hard. I can break it fairly easily. I try the same thing with 50 pound mono and it will stretch. If you are going to fish mainly for Halibut put 100 test Braid on then add a 50 pound mono leader.
    For hook I like 20/0 circle hook connected to 4 ft 480 pound steel leader connected to 20ft 400 pound test mono connect to 350 pound Swivel connected to 350 pound coastlock swivel connected to 50 pound test shock leader connected to main line
    I also carry gun or bang stick if you decide to kill the shark. Harpon,gloves,and hammer.
    Also be sure to bleed and gut your shark as soon as you catch it.

These guys might be willing to share. Never hurts to ask. Shark hunting is something I really want to do and am hoping to get the chance this year.

http://www.saltwatersafari.com/fishingshark.htm
    http://www.orioncharters.com/sharks.htm
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

can only tell ya what I've used......

Avet pro 4/0's and shimanos tld 30's. I'd throw the tlds away and go with the avets every day of the week!

The shimanos I had were old, used, and abused. The boss didn't take much time taking care of things and I ended up with the handouts so my opinions may be skewed a little here. But I will say this, the avets are one fine reel. I did have some corrosion issues that was fixed by taking things apart, cleaning, and then filling the internals with red grease....every day on the water after that things went very very well.....and they are easy easy to work on as for regular high use maintence.