Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dulbi River Moose

Default Dulbi River Moose

I drew DM812 this year, which is the Dulbi River. I will be accessing it via jet boat. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this Koyukuk drainage. I'm interested in any and all information I can get.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I drew DM812 this year, which is the Dulbi River. I will be accessing it via jet boat. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this Koyukuk drainage. I'm interested in any and all information I can get.
    I got my biggest moose on the Dulbi in '95 (65"). We only hunted the lower 15 miles or so because we went up there with props, but we once went up 30 miles or so.

With a jet you'll be able to go much farther than we ever went.

Talking Dulbi

Doesn't 812 start way up the Dulbi? What kind of jet boat? I've flown over the area before and you will be in the heart of big moose country. Bring plenty of gas. Anyway, what an adventure.

Ya, about 50 miles up the Dulbi, it will definitely be an adventure, if nothing else an expensive adventure. Were going up to the mouth of the Dulbi in a 25ft. landing craft jet, then taking a 16ft. jon boat with a 50hp jet up into the Dulbi.

Sounds like quite the adventure...with good hunting to boot! Good luck.

Default Beautiful area

You will be in one of the most beautiful areas around there. I grew up in the area and hunted all over the region. Definetely bring plenty of gas, food, camping gear and obey all the laws. You will have a great hunt, a lot of boat time to get there though.

Cool

A good friend of mine was up in that country last moose season and shoot a very very big moose he would have a lot of info i think he is 338mag on this site. hes a great guy lives in kenai

Can you get any size of boat up that far?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have no direct experience on the Dulbi however have hunted a little further north on the koyukuk in 892. you'll love it up there. just plan ahead and cover all yer bases and it should be a kickass trip. if you have any questions drop me a line. need any fuel tips as well just holler. can be rather calculated getting in and out at times.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Dulbi River

We hunted the lower river for 11 years as well as the year it flooded we were 2 1/2 hrs upstream from the mouth to find a good camp site our old one was under 5 ft of standing water. We were guessing 80 miles up a trouper in a cub landed and talked with us he said we were only 25 air miles straight line from Galena!!!!!!!
    Great year of hunting though 70 1/2, 66,68,58 inch Moose"pic on Wooldridge web page under Classic photos is us" and one wolf plus lots of great grayling fishing as well as spruce hens. The river is a great jet boat river you can get 30 miles up no problem in a normal year, we ran 24ft Wooldridge boats with 10 inch pumps.

There is only one place that is narrow and shallow 6-12 inch deep 5 miles up or so, the farther you go the mud banks go away and the gravel appears. Even after we were 2 1/2 hrs up we were still not quite to cotton wood creek the border of 812.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Can you get any size of boat up that far?
    I wouldn't know, cause I haven't been up that far, but if you did, I suspect it would have to be a high water year, you need the jet and plenty of fuel, and you'd have to be a real good skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    We hunted the lower river for 11 years as well as the year it flooded we were 2 1/2 hrs upstream from the mouth to find a good camp site our old one was under 5 ft of standing water. We were guessing 80 miles up a trouper in a cub landed and talked with us he said we were only 25 air miles straight line from Galena!!!!!!!
    Great year of hunting though 70 1/2, 66,68,58 inch Moose"pic on Wooldridge web page under Classic photos is us" and one wolf plus lots of great grayling fishing as well as spruce hens. The river is a great jet boat river you can get 30 miles up no problem in a normal year, we ran 24ft Wooldridge boats with 10 inch pumps.

There is only one place that is narrow and shallow 6-12 inch deep 5 miles up or so, the farther you go the mud banks go away and the gravel appears. Even after we were 2 1/2 hrs up we were still not quite to cotton wood creek the border of 812.
    I checked out Wooldridge's web site. Are the pics you mentioned of 2 racks on a gravel bar with 2 boats? Also is that the Dulbi river? As far as I can tell, Cottonwood creek is about 50 to 60 miles up.

Default Dulbi

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I checked out Wooldridge's web site. Are the pics you mentioned of 2 racks on a gravel bar with 2 boats? Also is that the Dulbi river? As far as I can tell, Cottonwood creek is about 50 to 60 miles up.
    Yes that is us the blue and red boats they just split the pic in half to fit in the gallery. The farther you go up the better it gets for river running"jet boat country". A half hr or so beyond the old no airplane use border the river gets some current and the gravel bars begin to get larger.
    The country changes as well, off the river the forest gives way to tundra, just a strip of timber and willows along the river banks. I would still love to make the trip once again and stay the whole season.

Pulled up this old thread as we drew a 812 permit. How is the access to good drinking water up the Dubi? Normally we carry about 12 gallons with us but with the reports of all the gravel bars up on the Dubi was hoping we would not have to carry extra water.

Can any of you guys update this with results of your last trip?

Default Awesome area

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Pulled up this old thread as we drew a 812 permit. How is the access to good drinking water up the Dubi? Normally we carry about 12 gallons with us but with the reports of all the gravel bars up on the Dubi was hoping we would not have to carry extra water.

Can any of you guys update this with results of your last trip?
    With regards to water, we brought 2 gal of fresh water and then used our water pump. Well worth it having the pump vs bringing water. The actual water in the dulbi isn't bad, "brown" but tasted just fine. I heard for this past season that there was a log jam up the river about 30 miles or so and was not passable, but obviously that can change year by year. For us, we were 100%, not bad for my first trip up.

Many thanks to the forum members. Just an awesome trip all the way around. Will do it again, I hope next year.
    Tony

13 trips 94 moose. So here it is, You should call the Biologist Glenn Stout in Galena before you go. The water level is the key! He will tell you weather you can even get there by boat or not. I have seen DM812 hunters hunting out of there unit. As stated afore 50+ miles to the start of your area, The trooper in the blue cub will keep you honest! There is an outfitter that you will compete with, they do not own it do not let them tell ya differently! GOOD LUCK! Take lots of gas!
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    13 trips 94 moose. So here it is, You should call the Biologist Glenn Stout in Galena before you go. The water level is the key! He will tell you weather you can even get there by boat or not. I have seen DM812 hunters hunting out of there unit. As stated afore 50+ miles to the start of your area, The trooper in the blue cub will keep you honest! There is an outfitter that you will compete with, they do not own it do not let them tell ya differently! GOOD LUCK! Take lots of gas!
    Louie
    I agree for the most part with this. I hunted this tag (DM812) several years ago. It was very low water and Glenn said that he really didn't think that we would be able to make it, saying, that he had flown over a week or so previously and that there were a couple places that the water barely covered the gravel. We did, however, make it and took two decent moose. We used a 16 jon with a 40hp 2 stroke outboard jet, very minimal gear (like sheep hunting wt.) and barely made it like that. We ended up making several 40 mile trips down river to deeper water to get the moose out. We had the trooper buzz our camp twice, I guess confirming that we were in the right place, which we were by about 2 river bends. I went so far as taking a pic of our GPS (with coordinates) sitting on top of the dead uncleaned moose to show Glenn. When we got to Ellis cabin, Glenn said that he had already talked with the trooper and that we were good. We didn't bring any water, just filtered, and had no problem. The higher you go on that river the clearer the water gets. I hunted about 30+ miles up it this past season and did not encounter any log jams, but as stated earlier, that can change any given year. The best advise I can give for someone that drew this tag and wants to access it via boat is, make sure that you take a boat that will get you into very shallow water, plan on being able to get by with very minimal gear, and obviously bring plenty of fuel to cache. To go all that way, spend all that time and money, and only be able to make it to within 10 or so miles of the area would be very disappointing to say the least. At least it would be IMO.

Ever try to access area 812 via the Melozitna?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Ever try to access area 812 via the Melozitna?
    The closest the Melozi comes to the DM812 area is about 4-5 miles, which is way out of my moose packing capabilities. Not to mention that the terrain up there is pretty much tundra like (a lot of tussics). Accessing DM812 is very difficult to say the least. I would think that the easiest way would be to fly in. When I drew that tag, I contacted everyone I could come up with to fly me in and no one would do it. The closest I got was with Joe Schuster (Sportsman's air service) out of Galena. He was only interested in flying me in if I was going to also pay him to outfit me at around $7,000/per. He had no interest in just flying us in without the full package. Without a very high water year, I don't think you can get in there unless you have and are willing to run a very little jon with a jet or jet ranger. About 40 miles or so up the Dulbi, it gets very technical with a lot of snags and stuff in the water and a lot of very low water areas. There is about 20 miles or so like this, then there is a streach about a half mile long right before Cottonwood creek dumps in that is plenty wide, but very shallow, like 4-8" deep. Right where CW dumps in, I actually walked across the entire river with the water just barely coming over the top of my boots. This is no exaggeration. To prove this I filmed my feet with my camcorder as I walked across the river. I'm not all that great at running tight rivers/creeks, but I have been running a 21' Sportjon for 3 years now, and I know that I still do not have the ability to get up there in my boat. There are just a lot of very tight, shallow areas that you obviously have to say on step for, and if you make one mistake, you could find yourself in a very bad situation. I think you're in ER? Is that right Snowwolfe? If so, and you'd like to get together, I'll show you some pics and vid of the area. It is a very cool place, and if you can get in there, I'm sure you'd have a wonderful hunt.
    Good luck, Greg

You know if they're having a big snow year like us, and if the above average precip continues through the summer, getting in there may not be all that much of a issue. Water level is the key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast