Thread: comfortable waders for walking???

Default comfortable waders for walking???

OK, I know this is a stupid question, it gets asked to me all of the time, and there probably is no real answer.....But does anybody know of type of hip boot or other wader that is comfortable for walking in, durable and fairly warm? I do a lot of hunting on the Alaska Peninsula and guiding as well, and am always looking for something better to wear on my feet when i am out there. I have yet to find anything that is very comfortable or that doesn't give me blisters, though, and my feet are usually in miserable condition after hunting season. I would like to get something new to try for this spring bear season. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Default hip boots

LaCrosse form fitted hip waders, I used it for a 12 day moose hunt last year, I even hiked with it through the tussoks, however it has very limited support going across rocks and shale. but it will work. They also make one with an ankle strap to fit alot better, I could actually go into a full sprint with them.

I agree with Kaha. The ankle fit INSULSATED Lacrosse hip boots. I lived in them for three months near cordova moose hunting. I liked them so much I cut the uppers off and wore them as knee boots when they got beat up. I think theyre even more comfortable than xtra tuffs and have better ankle support.

I like stocking foot Gore Tex waders (Simms). You can get any kind of boot to go over the top of, for comfortable hiking, you can pile on as much polar fleece, capaline, etc. for warmth underneath, and overall they are just very comfortable waders.

Stocking foot is definetly the way to go. Either buy them or cut neoprene waders down into hip boots. Regular hip boots do not have the ankle support for climbing or carrying heavy loads in your pack (this way you can use any boot 1 size bigger then your normal size), plus you can always roll the hippers down when your warm and not in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    LaCrosse form fitted hip waders, I used it for a 12 day moose hunt last year, I even hiked with it through the tussoks, however it has very limited support going across rocks and shale. but it will work. They also make one with an ankle strap to fit alot better, I could actually go into a full sprint with them.
    Curious as to why you were sprinting? : )

Default Neo Boots

Not sure if they are warm enough fo you, but Barney's has customized the Neo boot to make them into more of a standard hip boot. In case you aren't familar with them, you wear them over your regular boots, so they are really comfortable. They are designed more for stream crossings, but Barney's told me they have several reports of people using them as their primary fishing hip boots. They didn't neccesarily recommend them to be used that way, but maybe you could check them out and they might suit your purpose... I have a pair and like them a lot..

Default Waders

Muck Boots makes a hip wader. They are called the Woody Marsh Hip Waders. I saw them this past weekend at the Sportsman's Show, and they look real nice. The are a bit expensive but they are definetly a quality hip wader. I don't recall the local business that had them in stock, but here is the link to an online Muck distributer. Good luck. http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Woody..._p/wmhmosg.htm

Default Muck Boot dealer

1. B & J COMMERCIAL

4.62 miles
      2749 C STREET
      ANCHORAGE, AK 99503
      907-274-6113
    Now I remember who was selling them it was B&J. Above is their address.

Default bog busters

I don't do much hunting in waders, but a few years ago I bought a pair of Cabelas Bog Buster hip boots. They're neoprene with adjustable straps on the feet and ankles. The price was reasonable, and they're comfortable.

Default 2nd the Simms

Ill second the Simms. I haven't hunted in them much but I crawled through ready rough stuff without tearing a hole in them. I was actually sure I riped a hole in them when I slid down a 50 foot scree slope on my ***** with them on but I proceeded to fish all day with a sore but dry butt. The nice thing is you can wear any boot you like with them and gravel guards are worth their weight in gold if you ask me.

Default Waders

Best outfit/get up I found/learned over the years. A pair of breathable chest waders, with just regular denim jeans over them to protect from wear tear..I use a pair of Carharts camo. Boots and undergarmet vary. Really warm outside..under I wear uhhh almost nothing..,.sometimes a light pair of hunt pants...that way get somewhere dry and want to hike can take the waders off....really cold, you can wear all types of long johns and extra socks....or thin if warm....shoes depend on the environment...most situatioins I wear a pair of Lacross Alpha boots with some thinsulate in them not a lot...or real warm just rubber....even wore my large Lacross pack extreme cold weather boots up north haul road during winter/spring...nice and toasty through out
    Happy trails