Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing tomatoes upside down?

Default Anyone growing tomatoes upside down?

Our kids gave us a kit for Christmas and we're anxious to get it started. Any tips? We're in Fairbanks. Have had good success in the last several years growing toms on our deck with a SE exposure and intend to use the new upside down planter in the same location.

As seen on TV? No, but would like to hear what happens with yours?

I don't think you will have to worry with frost, because you will hang it in a overhead covered area.

I know I would sure try some fried greens as soon as they came to size.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default tomatoe hangers

i have used them for both tomatoes and green peppers, but have never gotten my tomatoes to look like the ones in the commercial did. That may be because i am just starting my gardening endeavors though.

Default this is the kit they gave us

pretty neat in that we can grow some herbs on the top... will post results as we have results.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67403.asp

Default Herby tomatoes

One of our friends has the plastic box structure kind (as opposed to the hanging pot kind) and they planted herbs in the top box and tomatoes on the underside. They all did quite well and the tomatoes tasted lightly of the herbs planted on top! ...Just an FYI.

Default Wowser, how neat, we can have

Basil toms...

My wife tried 2 of them last fall and they did not work out.

Have you pre-planted your toms?
    I started my tomatoe plants about 3 weeks ago and we counted 19 yesterday that are germinating.

If you haven't started, don't worry.
    Go to Holm Town Garden and they are toms started. (It's the cheaters way of doing it... hey... but you get tomatoes out of it, right???)
    Lurker.

Default Yipes, no...

Thanks, will go over to Holm town today and get them started.

Default tomato

Thank you for posting the link. After looking at it, those tomato plants look tiny, and the stand looks easy to make! This would be a venture worth attempting for those of us who appreciate experimenting. Heck, for that matter, why couldn't one just cut a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and use that instead of spending $75.00 for the planter (stand not included)? Hmmmmm.....

I am sooo ready to start planting and what's this WHITE STUFF that has been falling from the sky for the past few days? You would think we live in Alaska or something!

Default Welcome

Actually I have seen pictures of exactly what you are suggesting. A 5 gallon plastic bucket as the planter. The only real advantage to the one we have is the ability to plant herbs on the top. Actually this planter is more substantial then it looks in the catalog. We're planting next week, maybe we can compare notes, your bucket vs our stand and see who gets the better toms.

so does this yeild more then in the ground? i doulbt it!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

I have heard of people using 5 gallon buckets with a hole in the bottom for the tomatoes and then planting herbs or flowers on the top. Supposedly they did real well in North Pole Ak. I keep meaning to try it so I will have to do it this year.

Default Upside Down Tomatoe

I grew this on in a modified hanging basket. Eliminates the need of support. Finished off the season in the garage for a few days.

I grew tomatoes upside down and they did great........still had the problem of lots of green tomatoes and not very many red but......I like fried green tomatoes so is that really a problem?

I just cut a (small hole in the bottom of a gallon shrub container and hung it with wire

Default Well we got the toms about three weeks ago

at the nursery and planted them last week. They appear to be doing well. It is funny, even tho they are hanging down they are trying to grow up. I guess that's natural, they are a vine after all.

We got, one each, Carolina Gold, Polar Star, Beefsteak Hybrid, and Early Girl. At the moment the planter sits in our living room in front of a large window. When the night time temps in Fairbanks go up a little we'll move it out to our deck.

I can't figure out how to make this picture poster work but if you want to take a look, here they are.

http://images32.fotki.com/v1046/phot...ICT0086-vi.jpg

Moved the toms outside yesterday, they look very healthy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    pretty neat in that we can grow some herbs on the top... will post results as we have results.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67403.asp

seen afew of these at sams in FBK yesterday.. ~55.00~ish
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I did the 5 gallon bucket thing a couple of years ago. Hung it from a rafter in the green house and it did well. However don't plant more plants underneith it like I did, or you will have a jungle. The whole end of the greenhouse was nothing but vines.

The 5 gallon buckets do work tho.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Walmart has the upside down hdroponic types.. topy turvies? for 11.00 each. they are the ones the infomercial was all over her a few years back. my neighbor uses them with great success... we bought four yesterday. can't wait to get them out to the green house this next week...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast