Thread: Kenai area cabins

Default Kenai area cabins

We have a group of 6 doing a week long self-guided fly fishing trip in the Kenai area in early September. We are looking to rent cabin(s) for the week as our homebase location.

I have done searches on the internet, but it always seems to be a crap shoot in terms of what you think you are getting compared to what you actually get.

We will spend minimal time at the actual cabin(s). Basically just late evenings and early mornings. Most fishing will be on the Kenai and surrounding inlets.

Does anyone have any suggestions on locations or who we should contact?

THANKS

Default Cabins

We stayed at some cabins in Moose Pass in 06. It's on the road to Seward (Seward Hwy) about 5 miles or so from the intersection with Sterling Hwy. Don't remember the name of them, maybe moose pass cabins? They were reasonably priced and plenty of room for 6 guys. They are on the right side of the road as your heading toward Seward. Very nice cabins with running water and electricity.

I gather you will be fishing the Kenai right?
    Look at Gwins in Cooper Landing. I have friends meeting me the 3rd week of September and they will be staying there. Maybe we'll meet up.

http://www.gwinslodge.com/

Default Kenai Cabins

The Kenai, including Kenai Lake, is over 100 miles long! What area are you intending on fishing? The upper (Cooper Landing), the Middle (Sterling) or the Lower (Soldotna/Kenai)?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    The Kenai, including Kenai Lake, is over 100 miles long! What area are you intending on fishing? The upper (Cooper Landing), the Middle (Sterling) or the Lower (Soldotna/Kenai)?
    I figured looking at his timing it would be upper or middle.

we are planning on fishing the upper kenai. sorry for the lack of clarity.

thanks for the info on moose pass and gwins.

any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

We did a similar thing as you are a few years back, but with our own boat and stayed at a cabin near gwins, but I can't remember if it was actually owned by them. But it was only 3 guys and it worked great. We were only there at nights and mornings, cuz we would get up early and hit the water and fish late. For 6 guys you MAY have to get two cabins, i cant remember it exactly though. They should work perfect for what your doing.

Default kenai area cabins

I've been going every year with family and friends and the best location/accommodations is with Tom Ferguson in Kasilof at tfergy123@yahoo.com

He cabins are immaculate and they set in a secluded location on the bank of the Kasilof river.

Just stay away from the last two weeks in July, there are no fish to be had then. Actualy, your timing is perfect for fishing silvers and steelhead in the Anchor river which is just south of Toms. Or head north to the upper Kenai. Homer to Hope and all locations between are within easy drive from Toms.

Link: http://betterfishing.com/

Gwins is a good choice as well as alpine in owned by troutfitters, I have stayed at both, also drifters lodge has some very very nice places and split among 6 guys should be affordable. All are within minutes of lauching on the kenai at the bridge or sportsmans. One more worth looking at is heavenly lodge.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up

I'll have to agree w/ SCOWLEY above. Toms 2 cabins are great. They're right on the bank of the Kasilof River and are very secluded. You can't even see another building from there.

This will be my 5th year in a row staying there and we've always had a great time and have had great service.

His web-site is: http://www.betterfishing.com/

Wouldn't hurt to give him a call. He's a good guy and even if he doesn't have anything open in your timeframe I'm sure he'd be happy to offer suggestions and pass along some "local" knowledge.

If you 'd like more info send me a PM.....I'd be more than happy to pass along some more details about the place.