Thread: Mark X

Default Mark X

Anyone ever own or use a Mark X in a large caliber 375 or above?

I had a 375 HH Mark X commercial Mauser and a 458 win mag. The stock on the 458 eventually split. The 375 never had any problems. I do not remember either being all that accurate, but the actions sure were reliable.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Yes 375 HH....liittle rough but shot OK

I was looking at getting one in 458 for use as a hiking/fishing/back up gun. I'd keep it in iron sights, how's the action? Smooth? Reliable?

YES!

With a fiberglass stock makes the perfect low cost Alaskan rifle in .375 H&H. I would chose it over a bunch of others.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

NO! They're crappy! Don't buy it! If you bought it already I'll buy it from you out of the goodness of my heart! I have 3 and they are just horrible, since I'm already stuck with Mark Xs just give me yours!

Actually, my Mark X .458 is the most accurate rifle I own. I was sighting it in once when I changed the front sight, using orange 3/4" dots as an aiming point. At 25yds I was able to center punch 3 of the dots and this was offhand! I might be able to do that with my 10/22, but certainly not with any of my other rifles-offhand.

I've owned a Whitworth (kind of a fancy version of the Mark X) in .375 since 1986 and I've been very satisfied. My guide on a brown bear hunt had used and abused a .375 Mark X for a couple of decades and was happy with it -- my impression was that for him it was a tool of his trade. I'm more of a gun nut and would like to have a Model 70 .375 but my Mauser has never given me an excuse to trade up.

I've owned a Whitworth (kind of a fancy version of the Mark X) in .375 since 1986 and I've been very satisfied. My guide on a brown bear hunt had used and abused a .375 Mark X for a couple of decades and was happy with it -- my impression was that for him it was a tool of his trade. I'm more of a gun nut and would like to have a Model 70 .375 but my Mauser has never given me an excuse to trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbuster View Post

I have a lot of model 70 pre-64's in .375 H&H. I collect the darn things and have for many years. I just love them. That said, buy the Mark X.

I believe they are the absolute best rifle a man can own for the money. In .375 H&H, how could you ever go wrong?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson