Thread: What do I want?

Default What do I want?

What do I want?

Listed in priority order:

1. Dependable; relatively simple to maintain and do minor repair
    2. Sturdy; I'll be new to boating in AK; I don't want to wreck it with my inexperiance
    3. Can get way up river for hunting (skinny water/fuel effecient)
    4. Can haul enough gear for two people plus return with game
    5. Can fish in lakes or rivers
    6. Room to camp in it if necessary
    7. Seaworthy enough to make short runs in the salt for halibut or kings out of Whittier/Homer/Seward

I'm starting to think that what I really want is two boats but I don't think that's going to happen.

Boating in Alaska is a different animal. I want to take it slow and not get myself killed.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Boating in Alaska is a different animal. I want to take it slow and not get myself killed.

Sound Wisdom

Default Sounds like 2 boats

to me your #3 and #7 require totally different boats. I personally dont have alot of experience in the salt water, but i know that anything that i take WAY up the rivers into the sallow water, i would not want to take out in the ocean. If you only want one boat sounds like you are going to have to find a compromise.

Default You hit the nail right on the head . . .

Most of us have gone through this analysis, and there is no single boat that will meet your needs for all of Alaska's waters. If it can run way up the river, it's going to beat you to death in salt water, and can be unsafe in the salt.

If it's a salt water boat, the you're going to stick it on the first gravel bar you see (and they're HEAVY).

And that doesn't even take into account waters like the Kenai, which really requires a different boat and motor due to restrictions on motor size.

I keep my drift boat for floating the Kenai, and I use my Hewescraft for saltwater. I go with a buddy in his jetboat if we're running the rivers .

You need to make a choice about what you're going to do with the boat, and then the decision gets a lot easier as you kinda sorta cut down on the compromises available to you. Good luck with the decision.

Cheers,
    SH

Find a buddy that has a saltwater boat and buy that Wooldridge Alaskan with the Suzuki motor on it for 25K.
    Tennessee

Ok, as I thought, I need to eliminate something.

Eliminate the saltwater use. Strictly freshwater.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    What do I want?

Listed in priority order:

1. Dependable; relatively simple to maintain and do minor repair
    2. Sturdy; I'll be new to boating in AK; I don't want to wreck it with my inexperiance
    3. Can get way up river for hunting (skinny water/fuel effecient)
    4. Can haul enough gear for two people plus return with game
    5. Can fish in lakes or rivers
    6. Room to camp in it if necessary
    7. Seaworthy enough to make short runs in the salt for halibut or kings out of Whittier/Homer/Seward

I'm starting to think that what I really want is two boats but I don't think that's going to happen.

With the exception of #7 I suggest you consider an 18' X 60" or 20' X 60" flat bottom with the 35 hp GoDevil Surface Drive. It will only run about 25 mph, but burns under 3 gallons per hour and will haul a big load in shallow water.
    Check: http://www.godevil.com/ or http://home.gci.net/~godevilalaska/

Default $

how much money do you want........able to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    how much money do you want........able to spend.
    I'm not sure really but I'll try and explain. I'll pay whatever it takes to get what I want without going overboard.

I'm willing to pay for dependability and functionality. Bells and whistles are not that important to me. i.e. I would pay extra for a better design and no I wouldn't pay more for a better paint job.

Oh, I'm not married so permission is not an issue.

Default Something to consider...

Time is a factor in Alaska, does anyone really have time to get to all there is to do in such a short summer? I would walk down and get another type of boat right now to park by the one I have, if I thought I could actually get any use out of it, let alone have the time to maintain it. I want to drift for trout, drift to drift, river fish, river hunt, river camp, ocean camp, ocean hunt for bear and deer, fish for halibut, ocean salmon fish, explore PWS, kayak PWS, canoe streams and lakes, etc...I need to retire and get on this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Time is a factor in Alaska, does anyone really have time to get to all there is to do in such a short summer? I would walk down and get another type of boat right now to park by the one I have, if I thought I could actually get any use out of it, let alone have the time to maintain it. I want to drift for trout, drift to drift, river fish, river hunt, river camp, ocean camp, ocean hunt for bear and deer, fish for halibut, ocean salmon fish, explore PWS, kayak PWS, canoe streams and lakes, etc...I need to retire and get on this stuff!
    I've always said I need 3 boats to really enjoy Alaska. After reading your msg I've revised that to 5. I'm retired, but if I had known retirement in Alaska was going to be so much fun I would have worked harder when I was younger and retired earlier.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    .....I'm starting to think that what I really want is two boats but I don't think that's going to happen.......
    Consider a 20' aluminum hull with a slight vee, walkthrough windshield, soft top, a 4-stroke outboard mounted on a powerlift (with the maximum rated horsepower for the hull), and have a jet foot as well as the prop unit.

Default my two cents

unlimited money:

mostly fishing in rivers: outlaw marine,firefish,or riddle marine UHMW coated bottom with mercury sportjet

50% fishing and 50%hunting in rivers: phantom sportjon, jetcraft extream shallow, thunderjet denali.

mostly hunting in rivers: airboat

mostly hunting the yukon: large jon boat/cabin with large outboard with prop and jet lower units

boat that does river and ocean hunting and fishing: large inboard jet boat
    (does not excell at any one item but does the most overall)

not alot of money:

mostly rivers: 16 to 20ft jon boat with outboard jet

mostly ocean: 18 to 22ft skiff with outboard

rivers and ocean: 18ft outboard jet with winshied and soft top (does not due anything real well)

1 person river fishing very inexpensive: mokai

21' northriver commander for both river running AND salt water but put some airide seats in it for comfort of running the ocean and it can be done safely i've done it. ran out of seward and ran out of whittier and then the next weekend up the deshka and then up talkeetna to clear creek and caught plenty of fish

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    unlimited money:

mostly fishing in rivers: outlaw marine,firefish,or riddle marine UHMW coated bottom with mercury sportjet

50% fishing and 50%hunting in rivers: phantom sportjon, jetcraft extream shallow, thunderjet denali.

mostly hunting in rivers: airboat

mostly hunting the yukon: large jon boat/cabin with large outboard with prop and jet lower units

boat that does river and ocean hunting and fishing: large inboard jet boat
    (does not excell at any one item but does the most overall)

not alot of money:

mostly rivers: 16 to 20ft jon boat with outboard jet

mostly ocean: 18 to 22ft skiff with outboard

rivers and ocean: 18ft outboard jet with winshied and soft top (does not due anything real well)

1 person river fishing very inexpensive: mokai

That is one well thought out list!

Take a look at an Explorer Industries 162DC obj unit. 16ft long 7ft beam, UHMW, 60/40 Yammie. Very stable for fishing. Perfect for 2 hunters gear and game. Very good on fuel. And skinny...VERY skinny. www.explorerindustries.com