What do I want?
Listed in priority order:
1. Dependable; relatively simple to maintain and do minor repair
2. Sturdy; I'll be new to boating in AK; I don't want to wreck it with my inexperiance
3. Can get way up river for hunting (skinny water/fuel effecient)
4. Can haul enough gear for two people plus return with game
5. Can fish in lakes or rivers
6. Room to camp in it if necessary
7. Seaworthy enough to make short runs in the salt for halibut or kings out of Whittier/Homer/Seward
I'm starting to think that what I really want is two boats but I don't think that's going to happen.
Boating in Alaska is a different animal. I want to take it slow and not get myself killed.