Thread: Fear

Default Fear

Any study on if a bear can sense fear from you like a dog?

Question Bear Spray VS Guns

Kind of off topic but so many are about bears and guns and spray. ADN just posted this article

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/newsr...ry/356411.html
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    Any study on if a bear can sense fear from you like a dog?
    It depends....how much fear? Like poop in pants type or rapid heart beat type fear? They have a keen sense of smell so..........probably the poop in pants type fear would give you up!

I don't know, but dogs tone into subtle acts very well (little acts, voice tone, etc). I don't think bears have as good a vision and are probably not as familiar with people as dogs are so I suspect if you stay calm and stand your ground they probably don't realize the extent of your fear.

Not sure about fear, but I have heard that bears can smell way better than a bloodhound. I'm not sure what I remember, but it seems that they can cipher 140 odors at once or something like that. Even to the point of avoiding certain canned foods and choosing others with both sealed.

On the other hand, the bears that used to attack our oil, would on occasion take a bite out of a gas can.... they'd lick the oil clean, but I'll guarantee that gas burned em good! The cans would be punctured, but the contents were safe... except for leaking out.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-