Thread: Leupold Scopes

Default Leupold Scopes

Interested to know what power scope you would suggest for either a 405 Win or 450 Alaskan?

1.5x5 or a 1x4.

Curious to know why?

I agree, 1.5x5 and maybe Quick Release mounts and base. I have a set of Leupold QR base and rings on a T/C Encore and really like them. Plan on using one scope on a number of barrels. On your gun the QR would be nice if you need to use the iron sights, if you have to take them off.

How far are you planning to shoot? The 5 power would be enough for 200 yards, the 1.5 for the close shots. Moose, bear???

Out to 200 yrds....beer, elk, deer

I just always think, the bigger the caliber, the lower the power scope. If you are comfortable with higher scope power, then 3-9 would not be too much. As you probably know, practice with a scope until you can find your game easily. I practice in the house, with no one around, of course empty gun. I practice finding close objects, you'd be surprised how it helps. Good luck.

What's the season on beer?

Seriously, those calibers are not what most would consider long range rifles. The lower powers will allow better light and easier finding the target in thick stuff. I agree with the above posts, for what its worth.

I thought the same thing about 3x9's until about 10 years ago when I got charged and the scope was on 9x. All I seen was blurry brown. small powered scopes for me ever since. Especially something on a 40+ caliber. its not a long range gun.

You can also find decent prices on leupy M8 3x on ebay. another good scope.

Hey - Bill S. ~ Don't you know that the season on "beer" is perpetual!

Anyone who "practices" indoors is obviously expecting a charge from a furry critter! Unless you live in a mansion, scopping an object in a 10 by 12 room is WAY TOO CLOSE for me to find a sight picture with a normal heart rate!

Default Hey there, Ruger...

Why scope this thing at all? Should you get out on a routine basis for practice I wouldn't be surprised to see you shoot < 4MOA at 200yds. That's plenty of accuracy to drop one in the boiler room on a moose or bear.
    I'm waiting to get more of the factory spire points for the .405 as I was able to drop the first two rounds out of my rifle right on top of one another at 55yds. with the open sights. Too bad that I only had two shells...even so, my first reloads for the .405 are shooting 4" or less at 100yds...

Good luck,

IceKing02

2.5-7 VX-III I my 45-70 and I love it!

Yesterday I picked up a new 2.5 - 7 VX-III and hope to have it mounted and sighted in this weekend....

My new Ruger #1 in 450 Alaskan will probably go unscoped for the upcoming season.....My eyes still work well enought to use iron sights, in good light!

My handloads with the Hornady SP 300 Grns. have been very accurate....At 100 yds, the group has avg around 1.25 inches....34 rns over 2400 is my best load so far...although a load of 4895 under the Buffalo Arms 286 Hard Cast is averaging a spread of 1.5 inches at 100 yds...