Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse...

Default Grouse...

Hi,

I've never hunted grouse any time but the Fall before ...are they around and worth eating right now? I know the high-bush cranberries are in abundance all winter so they can't be too bad. Last one that I saw was in snowy birch forest and was eating high-bush cranberries. What kind of land would you expect to see them in this time of year ...the birds that is? I haven't seen any others in the birch forest... I guess I should check the regs too. I'm just getting a hankerin' for some ruffed chicken.

Brian

dont know about the ruffies but the spruce grouse are yuck in the winter. And yea you might check the regs. Im sure the season ends soon if not already.

Spruce grouse dont seem to move much in the winter. I occasionaly stumble upon them rabbit hunting, and you can tell by the lack of tracks in the snow they dont wander much nor come out of the trees.

The few times I have seen ruffs in the winter they were pretty high up in the mountains. Just about in ptarmigan territory. They were feeding on some pretty short bushes as well as living in them. There wasnt a big tree around for quite aways.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    dont know about the ruffies but the spruce grouse are yuck in the winter.<snip>
    Late Summer/early Fall spruce hens are 'ok' with my wife, disliked by me and my daughter, but liked just fine by my son ...late Fall (after first snow ...which hides the cranberries) spruce hens are YUCK period. I never hunt spruce hens on purpose but once in awhile, one "gets got" when hunting ruffies ...the lighting can play tricks on you and you don't have but a split second to decide to shoot/no-shoot. A flushing grouse is hard to resist...

Spruce grouse dont seem to move much in the winter. I occasionaly stumble upon them rabbit hunting, and you can tell by the lack of tracks in the snow they dont wander much nor come out of the trees.

The few times I have seen ruffs in the winter they were pretty high up in the mountains. Just about in ptarmigan territory. They were feeding on some pretty short bushes as well as living in them. There wasnt a big tree around for quite aways.
    This is good info. It could mean that the birds switch to a different feed when the weather turns. I know they sure disappear from the cranberry areas. I'll have to do some hiking up higher and see what I see.

Thanks!
    Brian

Default Fly South

I think they fly south for the winter and work on their tans. It's tougher than heck to spot one once the snow flies. I'm with Rimfirematt, I see a few tracks while sniffing out bunnies, but rarely see them. Never ate one after October... If you've got a covey or two hanging in the secret birch spot, harvest a couple and tell us what you think about their taste. I'll be that cranberry fed tweeties arn't too bad. Good Luck.

I see spruce grouse by the highway still hunkered in the base of spruce, and one ruffed two wks ago skylined in a birch. Usual valley mix of feed/trees around them.

Snowmachining last wknd i found a fox(?) den in a sandy bank with lots of grouse scat on the
    rim and fox and grouse tracks around. No feathers though. I assume they were using it for gravel and it was abandoned.

bullshop junior

Grouse do not fly down south. They stay here. They just doent move much. I shot them all winter here in delta.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Now thats funny ................

ohhh... that was funny.

Reminds me of when I told this girl I was going Ice fishing. She asked how do I chop the fish out of the ice.... I told here with a chainsaw. She said "oh that makes sense"

Default grouse in fall

spruce hens are good in the winter trick i found to cook them is in a croc pot for about 6 hours with chicken broth and apples. the slow cook makes them delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerGun08 View Post
    spruce hens are good in the winter trick i found to cook them is in a croc pot for about 6 hours with chicken broth and apples. the slow cook makes them delicious.
    I'm with you Palmer. I've never noticed any real distinct flavor difference in spruce grouse or ptarmigan regardless of season. To me, they always taste good.

Tanana - use them in stew or for jerky... your kid will love them.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

why do grouse threads always make me hungry?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

Because grouse have feathers.

Feathers fill pillows.

And, every time you have a pillow fight you work up an appetite?

PAVLOV WAS HERE
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Because grouse have feathers.

Feathers fill pillows.

And, every time you have a pillow fight you work up an appetite?

PAVLOV WAS HERE
    Ahh, funny funny

Unhappy Too late...

the season in most of the state, including Fox, if that's where you are tananaBrian, ended on 31 March. So it looks like you're in for a long summers drool. There's lots of tasty black bear out there though. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    the season in most of the state, including Fox, if that's where you are tananaBrian, ended on 31 March. So it looks like you're in for a long summers drool. There's lots of tasty black bear out there though. Yum!
    Another reason to keep the capitol in Juneau... grouse season til May 15.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    ...I know. We had a ruffy fly into our backyard on March 31st too. My daughter excitedly spotted it. But I let it go. Not too many in our neighborhood. But yah shure, yah betcha, we'll be making an attempt at the blackies pretty soon (in an undisclosed location.) The grouse will wait.

Brian

I saw 3 ruffed grouse in the woods 2 weeks ago. They were hanging out in a stunted pine forest that borders a swamp. Been all over those woods all winter without ever seeing one than poof, sun comes out and there they are. Guess they are migrating back.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I saw 3 ruffed grouse in the woods 2 weeks ago. They were hanging out in a stunted pine forest that borders a swamp. Been all over those woods all winter without ever seeing one than poof, sun comes out and there they are. Guess they are migrating back.
    My daughter spotted one on our property (birch and aspen) on March 31st ...but we don't see as many as we'd like on our land, so we let it go.

Brian

Default Yard

There was 2 in my yard yesterday when I got home. And the dogs got to point but I let them go too.

Driveway cam captured these at 5:30AM and 11:30AM this morning..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast