Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free hunting and sport fishing licenses for active members

Default Free hunting and sport fishing licenses for active members

"An Act providing for free hunting and sport fishing licenses for
    active members of the Alaska National Guard;............

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...=25&bill=HB137

Totally, completely 100% against it. Most guard members are part time, (and I don't see in this bill they differenciate), and make decent money both as a guard member and their other life. A lot are guard technicians, who make excellent money as WG, WS or GS employees. The bill also makes a "different class" of citizens.

If we're going to go down this road, then let's give free licenses and tags to police officers and firemen as well, as they're putting their life on the line daily for the collective safety as well.

You guys are all correct, As a soldier myself I am totally against this, there is no reason why they need free licenses. This is BS , what seperates them from any other soldier, fireman or law enforcement. All that will do is bump the resident tag prices up for people who have to pay for them......BS, BS, BS

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    All that will do is bump the resident tag prices up for people who have to pay for them.
    Solid point. ADF&G's funding comes in large part from license sales. If we remove that revenue, it has to be made up elsewhere.

I mentioned this another forum, but I'll say it here too. I'm against it. As an active duty service member (and 30 year resident of Alaska) I am required to pay nonresident fees in the state in which I currently stationed (North Carolina, Virginia, California, wherever). I do so not because the state I am stationed in requires me, in fact, they will allow non-resident service members to hunt and fish with resident licenses, even though they are not claiming residency in that state. However, ADF&G considers this "benefiting from the privaledges of residency" in another state, and therefore disqualifying for a resident hunting license application.

I will pay the $200 to hunt whitetails so I can legally and honestly hunt as a resident in my home state of Alaska when I take leave every year. But if I'm going to do that, then a resident of New York, Georgia, Hawaii, etc, who is stationed in Alaska shouldn't mind paying for a license while he's stationed in the most beautiful place on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If we're going to go down this road, then let's give free licenses and tags to police officers and firemen as well, as they're putting their life on the line daily for the collective safety as well.
    Or teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Solid point. ADF&G's funding comes in large part from license sales. If we remove that revenue, it has to be made up elsewhere.
    40 billion in the PFD, 5 billion in surplus, education budget goes up 7-15 percent per year. 10 billion dollar budget for 635,000 people. And a solid point is we can't afford the maybe 30,000 dollars this might cost fish and game.

I'm with Dennis Miller if you go to war for this country you should not have to pay taxes much less pay for a hunting license.

If 150 people took advantage of this I would be amazed.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    40 billion in the PFD, 5 billion in surplus, education budget goes up 7-15 percent per year. 10 billion dollar budget for 635,000 people. And a solid point is we can't afford the maybe 30,000 dollars this might cost fish and game.
    Good point, but the legislature has shown itself unwilling year in and year out to use those monies to adequately fund ADF&G.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Or teachers?
    I already get summers off. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead!

I'm with Dennis Miller if you go to war for this country you should not have to pay taxes much less pay for a hunting license.

I spent last year in Iraq, I paid 5K in taxes and got 9K back. I can certainly afford my $25 hunting lic out of that additional money and still have $3,975 left over to stimulate the economy! Sorry but Dennis Miller is an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I can certainly afford my $25 hunting lic out of that additional money and still have $3,975 left over to stimulate the economy! Sorry but Dennis Miller is an idiot!
    If you need some ideas on how to help that economic stimulation, I've got some.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If were so worried about the funds that this might cause F&G to lose lets repeal the free liscense for those over 65 and the $5 liscense for the poor.

I dont have an issue with the over 65 getting free licenses, most states have been doing that program for years. What are the numbers of over 65 that actually get a license and can get out in the bush. I think the 5 dollar license for the poor should go away, its amazing to see a person with a brand new boat and rifles hunting off a 5 dollar license. Im with Lujon again, us soldiers dont have a issue paying for our license, once a year combo license, a few drawings and stamps doesnt break our pockets......

I spent last year in Iraq, I paid 5K in taxes and got 9K back. I can certainly afford my $25 hunting lic out of that additional money and still have $3,975 left over to stimulate the economy! Sorry but Dennis Miller is an idiot!
    Maybe when you get out and all your income is taxable you might think he's not an idiot. The first time you pay 5k and they want 9k more.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post

I dont have an issue with the over 65 getting free licenses, most states have been doing that program for years.

So it's okay with you if a 60 YO person moves here and takes up residence with a son or daughter, does their one year to become a resident and has not contributed one iota too this great state but it's not okay for a active member of the Alaska National Guard who has more than likely been here all their lives to get a free liscence?

My error on my first post, it should read 60 years of age.

Default When I get out...

Maybe when you get out and all your income is taxable you might think he's not an idiot. The first time you pay 5k and they want 9k more.
    I am out now and it is all taxable now. I pay 26% of my income to make sure that the lathargic and apathetic are clothed, nursed and provided the middle class lifestyle that our constitution promises. Your statement only serves to reafirm my point! The military has a hard job and they are taken care of quite well for their sacrifice and no I don't believe that providing more and more freebies is necessary at the expense of those of us (me included) who pay a huge portion of our income in taxes to provide the compensation that supports todays military! I support their pay raises and educational bennefits, I appreciate the buisnesses that provide military discounts and am more likely to shop at one that I know supports our soldiers despite not being elegible for the discount myself. But why would any sportsman whine about the extremely CHEAP license fee when the money you spend goes DIRECTLY TO SUPPORTING THE RESOURCE??!!!!!! The proudest thing I have accomplished in my life apart from fathering 3 boys is my service in Iraq. The biggest smile I got whas when I recieved my AK hunting license at my Balad AB, Iraq APO shipping box. I ordered and paid for it online and they shipped it to me there I never thought to complain about the tiny fee for the prveledge to hunt this great state and further more I appreciate the opportunity to support my states wild game. As for Mr. D Miller well sorry but he's still an IDIOT IMHO. He is a classic example of an overpowering personality that talks passionately about things he knows little of.

Default I Agree with JKB

He hit it right on. It not going to break the bank, Last year do to disabilities I could of recieved my license for free, but for 40$ it was easier to just pay for it.

Terry

I am out now and it is all taxable now. I pay 26% of my income to make sure that the lathargic and apathetic are clothed, nursed and provided the middle class lifestyle that our constitution promises. Your statement only serves to reafirm my point! The military has a hard job and they are taken care of quite well for their sacrifice and no I don't believe that providing more and more freebies is necessary at the expense of those of us (me included) who pay a huge portion of our income in taxes to provide the compensation that supports todays military! I support their pay raises and educational bennefits, I appreciate the buisnesses that provide military discounts and am more likely to shop at one that I know supports our soldiers despite not being elegible for the discount myself. But why would any sportsman whine about the extremely CHEAP license fee when the money you spend goes DIRECTLY TO SUPPORTING THE RESOURCE??!!!!!! The proudest thing I have accomplished in my life apart from fathering 3 boys is my service in Iraq. The biggest smile I got whas when I recieved my AK hunting license at my Balad AB, Iraq APO shipping box. I ordered and paid for it online and they shipped it to me there I never thought to complain about the tiny fee for the prveledge to hunt this great state and further more I appreciate the opportunity to support my states wild game. As for Mr. D Miller well sorry but he's still an IDIOT IMHO. He is a classic example of an overpowering personality that talks passionately about things he knows little of.
    Come on guys just accept our appreciation. Being to old and fat to go fight, supporting this makes me feel a little better. My daughter is moving home in April as her husband leaves for Iraq. Making sure he doesn't have to worry about his wife and child will be my contribution and the Many thousands in federal tax we pay.

I've seen the hardships this family endures for his training and deployments. Thanks for you service LuJon.

Dennis Miller still cracks me up.
    Unknown author

Hey Lujon...spot on again man....could not have said it better. I had my license mailed to me also but a little bit farther north to Mosul, Iraq....Best day ever to see that license. As far as the over 60 age bracket.....well thats the benefit of becoming a senior citizen. Benefits for senior citizens have been around longer than I have and if a 60 year old wants to come to this great state and reside for a year and get a free license than thats great...gotta respect your elders.....What makes a Guardsman ....an Alaskan Guardsman any different than any other soldier serving in this great nation...what makes a Guardsman any different than me...a Active Duty soldier with 12 years of service and still going...I dont care if they were born here...they put on that uniform just like I do....what makes them different.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast