Thread: Boating Skills and Seamanship Course

Default Boating Skills and Seamanship Course

The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is putting on a Boating Skills and Seamanship course that runs from April 7th to May 28th. The class is held every Monday and Wednesday from 7-9pm. Cost is $60/person. Course material will include: which boat is right for you?, trailering, powering, handling, and piloting your boat. Also, the course will cover: weather and boating, equipment, lines and knots, "highway" signs, and small boat safety. This is a fantastic course and I highly recommend it to those new to boating. If you have any questions please send me a pm or check out the calendar section of this site.

Thanks,

Dave

Besides being a class that I highly recommend for all boaters (and one that I've taken), it will, will few exceptions, lower your insurance rates on your boat.

Where is this class going to be held?

Default Where is it?

You got the who what and when but where is it? Is this in the Valley or Anchorage?

Default sorry about that!

The class is being held in anchorage at Highland Tech school on the corner of Boniface and Northern Lights. Additional info is located in the calendar section of this forum as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Default We need a Valley Boating Safety Class

We need a Valley Boating Safety Class.
    No further word as of yet.
    Rob

valley valley valley valley...

Default safety class

To bad I was really hoping it was in the Valley! Sure hope you consider having one out here where alot of boat owners live!

Default Amsea

AMSEA does various workshops in different areas and will travel. I know they hired someone for the valley but I think that didn't work out. They are based in Sitka but like I said they will do stuff wherever they are asked.

Here is a link.

http://www.amsea.org/

Default messege sent

let's put a class together.
    Rob

Default Safe Boating Enthusiast!

Newbie here... I strongly recommend the USCG Auxilliary Power Boat Skills & Seamenship Course,
    not only for those skippering a boat, but for others onboard, as well!
    I had the good fortune to take it while in high school (a while back!), as a prerequisite to ocean sailing.
    Great course, with very user friendly content.

Has anyone contacted them directly to see about adding on an additional course?
    I am not affiliated, but if you show them there is significant interest . . .

http://a170.uscgaux.info/d17_pe_page.htm

Having said that, perhaps the local Park & Rec could put a comprehensive course together:

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boating/boatak.htm

Again, no affiliation, but where the public is requesting a 'safety course' I would like to think that some organization steps up to the plate!

Just my 'two scents!'
    "Semper Paratus"
    Doc

Default meeting tonight in Palmer Coast Guard Aux. Dinner at 6PM

More info in a bit.
    leahy

Default 1022 Cobb St

Dinner at 600 meeting at 700. Trying to get a consensus together for a coast Guard Class.
    I spoke with these folks at the Wasilla show. Very nice, kind of vague as to what was actually happening at this dinner/meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by leahy View Post
    Dinner at 600 meeting at 700. Trying to get a consensus together for a coast Guard Class.
    I spoke with these folks at the Wasilla show. Very nice, kind of vague as to what was actually happening at this dinner/meeting.
    Leahy,
    Well, at least you get a meal!
    Share with them the interest from this board re: locations... and --
    Good Luck!
    Doc

Default Promising results: Praposed Valley Boating Skills &

Safety Class with in the next 30 days or so. two 6-8 hours days Saturday & Sunday or a couple Saturdays in a row. Not finalized yet.
    We don't have a meeting spot yet, but we have an instructor.
    If you know of a good meeting venue, PM me please.
    Thanks,
    Rob