Thread: How much are you willing to pay to get trophy home

Default How much are you willing to pay to get trophy home

Before you go on a hunt to the great white north--please remember to factor in how much it will cost you to get that animal back home and on your wall. I will use myself as an example if it will save someone a few $ in their pockets.

3 years ago I got to go moose hunting south of fairbanks and was lucky to kill such a creature, nothing monsterous--53"/4 brow tine bull. Before I went on my trip I still hadn't worked out my plans for coming home, but to cover all basis, I called Alaska air and asked how I would transport antlers back to Anchorage--What were there expectations. The customer service rep stated that I had to have the antler tips Duct taped, I am assuming that it wouldn't puncture any luggage. So I show up to the airport with a pair of antlers covered in duct tape. They inform me that I need a box to put my antlers in, mind you I was dropped off at the airport by the air transport and there was no close facility open that I could walk to and get a box, so after a while, one of the ladies found me a box in the back--they charged me $50 for the box and $80 for the oversized luggage--next time I will rent a car and drive it home on the roof

This year I got to come up from the lower 48 and caribou hunt, I was blessed to take a nice bull, and remembering how I was treated by the airlines, I decided to have my taxidermy work done up in alaska, then have it shipped to me once done. European mount is costing me $300, and RPS is charging me $350 to have it brought to the US, so the lesson learned here is, I probably would have paid $150 to fly it home on the plane with me--hoping it didn't get dorked up. Then I could have gotten the European mount done for $150 down here, saving myself over $300--or I could have gotten a shoulder mount with my savings.

That's a crummy run of luck gettin' the trophies home! I thought the airlines made you duct tape pieces of cardboard to each tine. I don't know I've never flown antlers anywhere.

I guess I'd pay whatever it cost to ship a elk antlers from WA to AK if I ever get a chance to hunt in WA with my dad.

Tim

Default Times Change

I don't have any easy answer to your question. When I first started hunting in Alaska on a steady basis, I could bring antlers home as excess baggage. Usually duct tape something over the tips and carry them on - along with 3 bags of 70# each.

Then someone got the bright idea of forbidding that and charging a set fee for antlers ($200 for moose on my first experience).

Now it is even worse. The best thing I have found is to have a friend living in Alaska and have him/her mail the antlers home after hunting season is over. If you salt & dry the cape, you can have that mailed also.

Meat from what you shoot is another story but as far as getting a trophy home I still figure somewhere in the $200 range for moose or caribou. Fortunately my home is too small for a shoulder mount of either.

Default what we paid

My dad and I paid $1,800 just to have our trophies shipped back to Alaska from Africa. We had 16 animals with skulls, horns, and capes or flat skins. Would pay it again. Now we have to get the taxidermy done!

I shipped one set of caribou antlers home, several years ago. Cost me $240 and I never did mount them....ever since then, I've given my antlers away to guide or other hunters who wanted them. Easier for me, and saves a lot of dough...I never learned how to cook those suckers to make them taste very good.

much less than the meat.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default If you want to play....

you're gonna have to pay.
    Trophies (3) from New Zealand: $1500
    Horns and salted cape from Kirghistan: $700
    What ever happened to my Tonka trucks?

Out of curiosity, how much was it to get the meat home?

Default possible fix

One way to lessen the cost considerably is to saw the skull plate in half. It keeps it from going into the book if its a book animal, but your taxidermist can "stitch" it back together when he does the mount. Just get all the inside measurements so you get the spread right when its put back together. Lay the antlers inside each other, and package them together. Box will be much shorter and easier to handle. Chunks of cardboard and duck tape for the tines, and you're in business! Use an expediter, UPS or USPS instead of the airlines, too.

Worth the cost.....My brother and I shipped 1 bou and 1 moose back to Tx. last fall. We had to split the skull on the moose, seal them in a plastic bag and box them. They weighed in at 145# so it was about $150 to take on the flight with us. Worth every penny. The meat we had proccessed at Delta Meat and shipped home. With smoked sausage and shipping it cost about$2.50 a pound. Still worth it.

Africa 5 animals

fleshed and dipped $400

Shipped $1,700

Customs $500

Mounting $4,000

I always prepare myself for a hidden cost and I got it. I wasn't aware of a custom fee.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Africa 5 animals

fleshed and dipped $400

Shipped $1,700

Customs $500

Mounting $4,000

I always prepare myself for a hidden cost and I got it. I wasn't aware of a custom fee.
    I'm still trying to put together an African trip. Lower cost will help me get one of my buddies here to go. How much does doing european mounts save you? I'm thinking a wildebeast, Impala, and two smaller antelope. It would be a dream for a poor working man. An African hunt is really not all that much more than a good western Elk hunt.
    It's the trophy retrieval that's pricey. Now with digital cameras you can take pictures knowing what you have and share your memories with you freinds and family.

I just had them in Africa just flesh and dipped. Thus allowing it to be packed in a smaller box. I took a Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbuck, Duiker, and a Hardebeest. Now if I lived in the lower in some part it would of been alittle cheaper. Lucky for me the tannery is located in San Fran. the same place Customs recieved the shipment.

You can do the mounts cheaper in Africa but will pay more for shipping.

My duiker I'm getting a life size so that added alittle more money to it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Not Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much was it to get the meat home?
    Not exactly sure - I have family in Anchorage, so I bring it back to a meat processor there, have it cut up, and rent a locker. Then I just get the meat company to Fedex me a package of backstrap and sausage every now and then, and leave the rest for my family and their friends. Did cost me $800 to do a meat haul out of the bush for my moose though, I like to get the meat back to town (Tok in this case) 1-2 days after I shoot something if possible.

Speaking of shipping on TV this morning (CNN or FOX can't remember) they stated come May Delta is charging for your second checked bag. Seen this one coming, hope Alaska Air does not follow suit. They did say that First and Business class passengers would not have to pay as well as some mileage customers, but that puts the majority out of a 2nd bag.

Default Airline charges

United and US Air have already gone to charging $25 for a second checked bag. Hopefully NW and Alaska Air don't follow them.