Thread: Brown bear in 5 weeks

Default Brown bear in 5 weeks

Our Brown bear hunt that was schedualed for spring 2009 has now been moved up to 5 weeks from today.
    We will be hunting with Barnof expeditions (Jim Boyce)
    It should be a wild time. this is our first hunt to Alaska and a long time dream for both Dad and myself.
    Though the time line has shortened and it has left me scrambling to get equipment and permits.

I am haveing a VERY tough time finding good rubber boots. Jim suggests Knee high with a Air Bob sole. Then I have a problem with huge calves and super wide feet.

I am not sure on rain gear yet either. After reading this forum I have come to the decsion that nothing works that is both breathable and waterprof. I was out shopping today and came acroos a nice rubber jacket (Carhart) I was thinking of takeing that in my Day pack and putting it on if we are just sitting or on the boat. Any hiking will be done in my regualr hunting jacket. I have had this jacket out Salmon fishing and only seems to leak around the seams and only when it is really comming down.
    There is a possibility that I will not get my Form 6 (I am Canadian) Any thoughts on useing the guides guns? He says he has good equipment and we are welcome to use it. He wants dad to use his 300 WM and wants me on a 375. I know its not the ideal sittuation, but I think I can make it work. I was thinking about getting a extra few boxes of shells and just banging them off the day we arrive by plane. Between here and ther, I was just going to get out as much as possible with my 300 RUM.

The fitness program started within 4 hours of Jim calling and asking us to move our date. At present it is one mile a day with a goal of under 15 minutes, followed by a light pack then a heavey pack and finaly doing some hills the last week. Its been a long winter and my first night (Saturday) it took close to 30 minutes. Tonight I was down to 20 minutes (Sunday)
    I didnt feel sore this Am, but I could feel it last night.
    I will be in Sitka for a whole day. Can anyone recomend any thing good to go see? Any great charachter restaurants? Good Hotel?

What would you expect the fishing to be like around Sitka at that time of year? I would expected it to be slow, but is it even worth trying? How about Steel head? Are they running at that time of year?

Wow so many things to do and so little time

Anyone have a suggestion on a video Camera? How do you find the cameras are effected by the salt water? Any sense in bringing my Nikon D70? If I wreak that I might as well stay in Alaska and not come home.

Thanks for any help guys

Jamie

Default just my thoughts

Do yourself, your feet and your guide a favor--get your boots broken in before you get there!! I am not sure of the temps--but I am sure you can get to a weather satellite to show you what you are up against, but as always being an island it is due to change. Bottom line on rain gear--when you get wet--and you will get wet--will you be warm--because if you aren't warm you will be hypothermic--or back in the camp trying to get warm--which means that you aren't out hunting. As far as fishing--I know the kings don't typically start running in anchorage until late april. Not sure how much time you will get to fish--maybe find a halibut area.

Good Luck

Default extra tuffs

Get some knee high extra tuffs. EVERYONE in southeast wears them. That is the official "shoe" of Southeast. They are very comfortable boots to walk in. A friend on mine went on our first sheep hunt together and he was wearing extra tuffs!

Default D70 - Bag it

If I were taking a D70 out of Sitka in May, I'd put it in something like this: http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/ca...FRYoawodRAFoRw

If not, a good disposable would get you in less trouble at home

Good luck, and enjoy your time with your Dad. Toast to a safe, productive trip -

Nate

Calgary Guy,

LaCrosse Big Burly. I'm the same guy who made the same suggestion on the AR forum about these boots. Have you checked them out yet?

I want to see some pictures of the big bear you guys shoot. The best of luck!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

If you have big calves i would stay away from the extra tuffs, I have big calves and the extra tuffs are just to narrow at the top. I wear muck boots and I think they're awesome. Google them and you'll find a bunch of web sites that sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Calgary Guy,

LaCrosse Big Burly. I'm the same guy who made the same suggestion on the AR forum about these boots. Have you checked them out yet?

I want to see some pictures of the big bear you guys shoot. The best of luck!
    I could have swore I allready posted this.

But yes I did take your advice, I am haveing Dad pick them up in Pheonix this week. I hope they work!
    Thanks for the tip!

Jamie

Default Brown Bear hunt

You should have no problem with your form 6 mine took 3 weeks to the day. Left you a PM call me and I will walk you thru on how to expediate the procedure.

Default Will cost more, but high comfort!

I would highly recommend Simms or Dan Baileys breathable wader pants. The price range will be $200 to $400 US, then add a pair of wading shoes. Probably the studded rubber soles, or just plain rubber, depending how the guide feels about studded soles once your in camp. Wear different shoes on the flight. Simms makes some super wide wading shoes. Korkers have the best system- interchangeable soles with a super aggressive carbide spike, rubber cleated, felt, and studded felt for whatever situation you're in. Only problem is they don't make a very wide pair yet. For around $500 you will have a superb breathable rainpant, and comfortable boots that should last you quite a few years and work great for fishing around home. A lot of Kodiak and Southwest bear guides have gone over to this type of a system. Simm's Rivertek convertable pant/chest wader is on sale right now- if you can find a pair they should be around $200. I've seen some around this area at a few of the stores.

Well we are almost ready to go.
    All the paper work is done.. (That I know of) Everytime I turn around there is something new to deal with.
    We leave in one week. We will be borowing the guides guns as it was a bit of a pain to take ours.
    The rubber boots are just a hair small. I can wear them for approx 1 hour.. I will be takeing my leather boots and putting these on as needed.
    Some new gear has been bought. Some Sitka Gear long johns, Smart wool socks and liners, Under armor, Carhart Rubber pants and Jacket.
    Its been a bit of a struggle with the time line and I noticed the stress was riseing. So my last day of work will be Wednesday. **** it.. I am suppose to be enjoying this. So, come Wednesday I can complete all the Renovations around this house and finish packing and start dreaming.

Thanks for all the advice guys I really apprciate it.
    Especially McGreg. Thank you for all the phone calls!

Jamie

Default Tight Boots!!!!

Do yourself a huge favor and leave those tight fitting boots at home. They will only get tighter as your feet swell from being on them everyday. Get some that fit or your feet will pay. I'm an old soldier and I know feet. If your feet get sore your $$$$$$$ is out the window because all you will want to do is lay up at camp. I have made this mistake myself. You could hit Anchorage on your way in. An hour on your feet here is just foreplay.

Have a great hunt and be safe.

Steve

Default good luck

Go get em Tiger!

Keep in mind they are not around every corner. Jim will help you in that regard. He has hunted this island for a long time.

Hold out for a big-un.

Sounds like you're in for a great hunt! Make sure you do your training on natural land, not trails. You know... soft ground, rocks, dirt, obstacles. Trekking on natural territory is far more challenging than on trails or other flat firm stuff... the difference between having to step higher, around, and on unstable ground (feet trying to slide this way or that) is HUGE when it comes to fitness. Take it from an old fat guy ...get off the trails for your training or you'll be sorry! Your in-the-field endurance will be far shorter if you don't, and all the muscles in your hips and on top of your legs will be complaining loudly long before you run out of aerobic steam...

Brian

Thanks guys.
    I am still not sure what to do about the boots.
    I had to special order these from Cabelas, and there is nothing else that will work.
    Perhaps I will get lucky in Sitka.
    But I do have a pair of regular rubber boots that fit. Unfortunatly, they are not Air Bob sole and they are not ankle fit.
    I think I will take them as well.

Thanks
    Calgary Guy

Default don't worry

Don't worry so much about the boots. You'll find a selection of boots at Murray Pacific in Sitka.

Are you climbing mountains while your here? We'll it might feel like it to you but most likely your gonna be utilizing the esturaries and finding those bears eating fresh grasses.

X-Tuffs are gonna be just find for all practical purposes. I'd be more worried about a solid shot under various field conditions. I'd also worry about staying warm while "staying put" late into the evening glassing. I'd worry about who's gonna do your taxidermy.

I like to use Bob soles from Danner for loose SE soils. So there is relevance to what your man is saying. The question is how much "schlepin" is this guy gonna really have you doing? I'd say if you do any more than six miles a day.....boots become more of a consideration. If not keep your feet warm and dry and your all good.

WOW.. Its almost here. A hunt of a lifetime (So far)
    I watched "Gunsmoke" again last night. It is Jim Boyces promo video. If you get the chance to see it, make sure you watch one of the last Brown bear hunts. That bear is HUGE!! Even when wet that bear is a monster.

What do you guys think of the fishing around there this time of year?

This is going to be great!!
    I would leave tonight if I could!!

Calgary Guy

good time to try steelhead, some strong runs up there, including a recent world record fly-caught fish from Baranof. throw some leeches or spoons in the first 1/2-1 mile above tidewater and see what happens.

Default Almost time!

Jamie: If your going out on the BIG water and don't try for some habibut? Well, let's just say you really should!
    Good Hunting > can't wait to see the video.