Thread: Baikal Shotguns

Default Baikal Shotguns

Does anyone know anything about Baikal shotguns? Any information would be appreciated.

I googled it a couple days ago and the conclussion I came too is that it is the Remington Spartan, prior to the Spartan name plate. Its an entry level Russian made gun. The Spartans are hit and miss with issues. I've heard some last years, and I've heard some have ejector springs shoot accross the room the first time they are opened. They make pretty decent "drag it through the woods and beat in the brush" kind of guns, more-so than the Berretta's or Browning's O/Us.

I have a couple of them. SxS's in 12 and 20 ga. I got them before the Remington distribution deal. I've had no problems with them. They are well balanced, and point fast. Birds die just as dead as if you shot them with a Beretta or Browning. You won't have any problems finding after market chokes. Local dealer put me on to them. Story I got was that guys who first went to Russia to hunt after it opened up to foreigners were impressed with the reliability and price and were the first market. The reputation of the gun was spread by word of mouth not corporate mouthpiece gun rags. I'm not sure if it isn't human nature to not watch quality as closely when you're putting someone else's name on what you make, and given some of the posts here about recent Remington quality . . . . .well you make your own judgement. I think the ones I bought are visually more attractive than the Spartans.

The metal to metal fit is tight enough that your not going to load it and snap the action closed killing your chauffer like you can with some of the expensive guns I looked at.

Seems that most guys that run them down on the boards as cheap junk end up recommending a $2000 alternative. If your Citori has a defect it's a fluke. If your Baikal has something break it's Russian junk.

If you were looking for a reasonably priced OU I would suggest looking for a Fausti Stephano. The Baikal/Spartans have too much cast in the stocks for my taste. But if I could find a NIB 16 ga SxS EAA Baikal with a nickel receiver I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Flyer, where do you get the chokes for the Spartans? I agree with you about the Spartans, good gun for the money. As with any shotgun, some fit better than others. The drop on the sporting clay models fits me, although I only shot a friends. He is looking for the chokes. Thanks.

You can order them from Carlson's. www.choketube.com or check the box stores for truechoke.

Default Baikal to Spartan to Remington

Baikal is the originator from Russia. Companies like EAA used to be the sole importers. At one time you could pick them up really cheap. The wood is Turkish Walnut and typically nicely figured. Then the name changed to Spartan. They even have a side by side 30-06 and 45-70, but so far I have not found a source in the U.S. for them. The over and under and single shot '06s are available though. The over and under rifles have a device to allow you to adjust barrel regulation. I have a side by side 28 gauge that is awsome for Ptarmigans and Grouse. Then Remington came along and the prices shot up. I picked up my 28 for just over $200 several years ago, can't get them for that anymore.

If your in the market for a cheap double look at stoeger too. Lots of guys over at my beagle forum have them, and I have one. Great beater gun! I have heard of one stock breaking though.

Mine looks like I dragged it behind a fourwheeler and it is still solid. Shoots good too. been seeing some good buys on gunbroker latly for them too. I wouldnt sell mine for as cheap as they are going for on there.

Default Spartan OU

I have the Spartan over under and I think it is a great gun especially for the money. I mostly use it to shooting sporting clays. Points well, shoots every time, and the price was good. The friend I shoot with likes to bash it since the 2 shotguns he shoots are a Beretta semiauto and a Browning OU which he paid close to 3K for. Well last time at the club there was an old guy there probably in his 70s and my friend handed him both of our guns to look at. The old guy shouldered both of them and looked them over and said he preferred my Spartan. I don't think you can go wrong with the purchase.

Default baikal shotguns

I received a sxs 12 fixed choke years ago. Cannot tell you how many shells have been put through it. A gunsmith said it is a perfect copy of a Purdy, I really don't know, but I do know that it is quick, triggers are good, and rugged as heck, price was great, blueing was lustrous and deep.
    I would get the o/u in a heartbeat

bullshop junior

The remington spartin is baikal. I had a pre remington 12ga over under. It was the best shot gun I ever had. I regret selling it.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Default Baikal

I agree most people that knock them think you have to spend a fortune to get a decent o/u you might read here:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=83
    will give you a good over view of them on the I love Balkal/Spartan board.
    Tom

Default Baikal

I had a double with hammers and it was stolen but a great piece , I paid $50 for it . It was an accident but the barrels were "regulated" , it threw slugs to the same point of impact and was just a great gun , shot a small black bear with it and took a zillion grouse . Thumbs up to Baikal

Default O/U

I picked up a Baikal O/U about 7 years ago for $100 and it one of my favorite shotguns. Im deadly on Chuckars with its half the weight of the big automatics all my buddies carry around and I get just as many birds as they get. I really like mine.