Thread: Montana/Willow creeks

Default Montana/Willow creeks

I've never fished the Montana or the Willow early in the spring and I'm going to try it out this year. Anybody have any idea on when to fish there? And what flies are good that time of year? Thanks.

Thumbs up can be very good

I have fished willow the last few years around the end of april early may. I have caught a few bows on ESG's but the pleasent surprise was catching some grayling on Beadheaded Princess Nymphs. The wife and I will make at least one run up there this year for sure. If you pick a nice day no matter what happens just good to get out of the house and wet a line of course
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks a lot. I was thinkin that time of year also, maybe a little earlier if the weather is permitting. I just have that itch and could care less if i catch a fish or not. I got new G3 waders two summers ago and have only used them a few times, so i have to break em in a little more, lol. And a new rod/reel for christmas really isn't making summer come any faster

Maybe I'll see you up there this summer, or on the Kenai since I'll be trying to get there as much as possible!

as long as the river is clear of the ice it is fishable. Im down in america untill friday so i dont have any report for you. Im figuring the 2nd or 3rd week of april I will hit it. I like to fish it while the lakes are still thawing out.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default April thaw?

I will still be drilling holes til the end of April. I am saving my bottle caps for Yakutat and will not be able to see open water til then. Unless we get a heat wave in the valley up here. Have fun Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    as long as the river is clear of the ice it is fishable. Im down in america untill friday so i dont have any report for you. Im figuring the 2nd or 3rd week of april I will hit it. I like to fish it while the lakes are still thawing out.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Spring Fishing Mat Su Creeks

I have had fairly good luck in early May with small smolt patterns.