Thread: Kings from the bank

Default Kings from the bank

Great response to biggest kings thread, but since I love to fish from the bank, I was really wondering what your biggest king from the bank was. Little tougher to get giants from shore than from a boat.

I landed a 44 inch fish from the Ayakulik River on Kodiak, and a 43 inch fish from a local Cook Inlet river. Both fish were mint chrome and just a couple of miles up the river from the ocean. I didn't weigh them because I practice catch and release. Looking for that 50 inch plus fish from the bank this year.

I've caught a few 20 pound range fish by the tail in Seward, now that is a fight

Default from shore

I have fished from the shore for years. We used to go to the Deshka but the boats run too much so the fish are way skittish, and it is just noisey!
    I landed a 50 lbers. once on ten pound test! It would have won the derby that year but the tickets didn't go on sale til the next day! We have caught and released alot of fish from shore, you have to run to get back some line sometimes which just adds to the fun. We use lighter tackle than most. I want to catch one with my flyrod someday, that would be a hoot!

I guess some soldotna locals will get mad for me saying this but I saw some germans fishing there last year anyway. The island just downstream from the soldotna bridge is in an area where you cant fish from a boat. The kings have tendency to rest downstream of it and can be fished from shore on the south? side of the river above centennial. You need big gear and you lose more than you catch but it can be done. I have a boat so I haven't done it myself but i was talking to a local and he said he has done it a lot and when it gets good its a gas. Lots of broken tackle though.

Default tail hooked...

......a 450 pound salmon shark last year on halibut gear and almost landed her........was on a boat and isn't a king so I am way off topic, but it was a heckuva fight for sure! I surfaced her after about 80 minutes right next to the boat. She sat for a minute and then ripped off 1000 yards of line - I had about 10 yards left when she broke off right at the hali rig...I ruined the reel, but the guide was very happy to get his line back!

1997, big ol' brick of a buck, bobber and eggs, Gulkana River.... 40-plus.

Released to perpetuate its genetic fitness!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

40 lber on the boat launch, at the Kasilof. I walked down to the launch and was fishing for about 30 minutes, and hooked into a big king. I had to let it go though, because it was a native, and I caught him on the wrong day. The cool thing was, a guide rowed to the shore and netted it for me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default What bank?

I can honestly say that I have never caught a king from the bank. Every single one that I have caught came from the ocean or the river. This truly opens up possibilities that I have never thought of before......

I have caught most of my kings (@300) from the bank.

I have caught five kings from 50-55 pounds.

Only one of them was from a boat at the mouth of Willow creek 54".

Three were from the shore at the mouth of the willow.

My heaviest a 48" pig was from the shore in the little su.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The 60 lb. king I mentioned in the other thread was caught from the bank.

ClearCreek

Weve done quite well from the bank including a handful over 50. One 51 in particular I remember weighing in. More then a few 40's and tons of average fish. Up until a few years back thats just how we fished. Too poor for a boat.....till I bought a raft!

Default 60lb

One of the first kings I caught after moving to Alaska in 1985 was a 60lb 59" long at sheep creek. Took 30 to forty minutes to land , and never have caught one that big since then.

59" and 60 lbs? That's not a fish, that's a snake.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I caught one around 65 lbs from the shore in the Moose River at the confluence. Was a pretty decent fight.

Susitna kings tend to be long. That is how my 48" little Su King was heavier than my 54" Willow King.

I never could land one of those Moose River Kings. I hooked seven of them in a couple hours one morning with extra furry coho flies and 2 ounce sinkers cast to where the Rivers meet and the Kings just kept rolling out there for a couple days.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

73 pounder in 3 feet of water...that was a blast and many over 50 lbs.
    One of the most violent kings I ever caught only weighed in at 28 lbs... it was kinda embarrassing have that little 28 pounder kicking my butt.

On a typical after work short trip caught a 35 pounder at the Eklutna tailrace last year on the third cast of a vibrax . A state trooper cut off the other two lines that the people across the river cast over my line while I was fighting and helped me land it. Was pretty awsome to get off work drive 10 minutes to the river make three casts, great 15 minute fight, and come home with fresh King fillets for dinner. God, I love living here!!!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"