Thread: My pal Andy

Default My pal Andy

Friends-
    Some of you may know Andy Sorensen from running into him down at Ship Creek (he was that guy who was unbelievably friendly, helpful and happy, always willing to help a newbie). I never heard a nasty word from him about anybody (except once when he said about another fisherman: "He's a know snagger..."). You may have known him better as "that dumb Swede" (he liked to laugh at himself), or the guy who handed out his own personally-tied Ship Creek salmon flies, which he nicknamed "The Shag Rug".

Others of you may have known him from the local fly fisherman's association. Andy was a busy guy, a stay home dad to his 2 young boys, Eric and Jake, and a loving husband to his sweetheart Rebecca.

On the board here, he was "Sketch".

I'm sorry to tell you that Andy had a heart attack about 2 weeks ago and passed away yesterday. He was a dear friend. He made the early morning 6 a.m. runs to Ship Creek 100% more fun for me, and others who happened to fish next to him.

I will miss the heck out of him. Here's a photo our friend Rolland took of us last summer on a great day in early June. There's a fund started to help Rebecca deal with out-of-pocket costs of his hospital stay. You can contact me if you want to contribute.

Thanks for remembering Andy.

jim

Andy may you always have a tight line. My prayers go out to his family

Default He Will Be Missed....

My regards to his family and to others that knew him. He is just a handful of guys I've enjoyed talking to while out there in the mud down @ Ship. No matter if the fishing was slow or hot, he was always an up beat kinda dude. I've had the priviledge of fishing next to him numerous times over the years and exchanging reports about what was happening around the river. Ship Creek lost one of its veterans. Jim, you're right, the 6am openers won't be the same without him.

Brad "y0gee" Ugalino

I know the name (sketch) only as a frequent contributor/senior administrator for alaskaflyfish.net (the "other" forum). Maybe someone who knows him better will post a remembrance there........sigh.

God Speed!

He sent me a PM about three weeks ago to call and fish with him when I am up there. What a nice guy! I am really sorry that he is gone.

Thi

God Bless.In the Wind~~~~~~~~~~

He looked young in the picture. I'm sorry for your loss.

Obviously I didn't know him but I do know the type of person you describe.

Hopefully someone will step up and take his place on the river. I'm going to need some patient people around when I make my move to pop my salmon fishing cherry on Ship Creek in summer 2009.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Unhappy

Boy thats really to bad
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

That's a real bummer.......He was too young.

But prayers go out nonetheless, especially for his family.

Default Andy

Thanks guys for the remembrances and condolences. Here's the link to his obituary in the ADN.

http://www.legacy.com/adn/Obituaries...onId=106456942