Thread: How to get to the Top of the Knik Glacier

Default How to get to the Top of the Knik Glacier

Hey wondering if anyone knows how to get to the top of the Knik glacier we got all the way out to it on saturday but couldnt get anywhere on it. we went to ther left side of it never tried the right side. well thanks.

What do you mean by top of it? As soon as you get to the face of it take out your crampons, ice axes and plenty of rope, hook up and start walking and climbing.
    I take it you tried they left side mountain on atvs and didn't get far.
    You won't even get that far on the right side.

Default thanks

thanks but i heard theres a trail that goes around to get on the glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by brandenjoy View Post
    thanks but i heard theres a trail that goes around to get on the glacier.
    No, I know every atv trail and non trail out there. Did you drive right up to the face of the glacier? That's the ONLY way to drive up on top of the glacier. You probably won't be able to drive very far on it before you die

This is as far as we got. However, I did not own an ATV then.

Nice piks, that is on TOP of the glacier. But those piks are from near the face. It ain't possible to drive way up the glacier because ice cliffs and crevasses.

Quote Originally Posted by brandenjoy View Post
    Hey wondering if anyone knows how to get to the top of the Knik glacier we got all the way out to it on saturday but couldnt get anywhere on it. we went to ther left side of it never tried the right side. well thanks.
    Now I'm thinking you wanted just to get up on the ice like on those piks? Ride to the middle of the glacier, not really a trail but that's the area it's possible to get up on the ice. Looks like fun but if you bust thru an ice bridge over a crevasse your dead in seconds
    3 summers ago a bunch of military kids got in big trouble riding atvs on the glacier. Lost machine, hypothermia, heliorescue etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Nice piks, that is on TOP of the glacier. But those piks are from near the face. It ain't possible to drive way up the glacier because ice cliffs and crevasses.
    That's only about 200ft off the dirt. I can't wait to go camping back there and do some good exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse27 View Post
    That's only about 200ft off the dirt. I can't wait to go camping back there and do some good exploring.
    Ya I've been up on it that far The military people that got in trouble a few years had two of their atvs slide into a deep, bowl shaped depression filled with ice water on the glacier. I saw pictures of their atvs floating, only handlebars breaking the surface. They got soaked and had a bad time before the rescue. Clueless and unprepared for an alaska summertime dip in the water

Default Top of KNIK

The only way I can get there is fly. The top is a long way back. Would post a picture but not to computer friendly.

Tery