Thread: Chewing Soft Things Vs. Hard Things

Default Chewing Soft Things Vs. Hard Things

Anyone have any clue as to why a dog would rather chew her dog bed in a crate rather than the rubber kong with a treat inside plus a rawhide? She eats the rawhide just fine when she isn't in a crate and running around the house, but when i go to work i lock her up in it due to the fact she as struck out on chewing things in the house and chews on her dog bed. She is a 8 month GSP and i'm just clueless as to why she would do that, any ideas?

Mike, I would guess boredom. Not much to do in a crate. Pups will start to chew on what is next to their head, and when part of that comes loose, the fun is on.

I would think twice about putting a rawhide in the kennel if you are not at home. My dog was chewing one and decided the piece was big enough to swallow and it got stuck in her throat. I only use them when I can watch her. Just a suggestion.

Boredom is the answer, I have a 15 month old Lab and I stopped putting soft beds in the kennel with him. Gets to expensive to keep replacing the pillows. As far as the Rawhide......I agree with the post about thinking twice, NO WAY would I leave a rawhide in the kennel with the dog. I leave nothing but a pillow in there because of the chance of choking, he gets nothing unless I am there to supervise.....

I'd have to ask how often do you get out with her. Do you get out and exercise with her before you go to work? A tired dog is a quiet dog.
    Being a pup still she needs ways of burning off that puppy energy. In her kennel when that energy comes she simply entertains herself. Unfortunately in an unsupervised manner.

I may opt to take out the softer bedding for now until she settles a little as she matures. Maybe newspaper, cedar chips or a rubber mat. Still put things in there like the kong, but no plush toys. I'd also take wldboar's advice about the rawhide. Some dogs don't know how big or small there throat is.

Stuff the Kong with Peanut Butter. One of my dogs gets anxious when we board her during vacations. The Kong with Peanut Butter helps.

never thought about the whole choking thing before. I don't get out to excersie her before work but i do give her an hour or so of outside time and inside time that she romps around with our golden retreiver, due to the time i have to be at work. I have been puting those kong treats inside of the kong, but i think peanut butter might be the ticket, but it just seems no matter what you put in there for her to keep busy she doesn't seem to play with it. great advice though thanks.

Hi Mike,

We dont put anything in the crates with our dogs, the occasional kong with peanut butter (frozen) but nothing else. We took rubber matting that you roll out (kind of like the stuff that is made for people who stand all day on hard floors, exercise mat's work too) and cut it to the size of the bottom of their crates. We then glued them down (that 3M spray glue). It makes them easy to wash out and they cant get ahold of the corners to chew it up. So far, so good after 3 years the mat is holding up!

We have one of those that eats her beds as well, it didnt seem to matter how tired she was, in the middle of the night she would get bored and chew up her blanket.

Default chewing

Our setter didn't chew up the dog bed but I kept a bone in the kennel with her. Alaska feed has some bones that are white, in shrink wrap , and about 8 inches long that work well. They don't shatter and hold up well. Brian

Default GSP

I have a weim and a GSP, they are both about 14 months old. In the house the dont hardly ever chew anything except for rawhides, wraps, ect. I built them a nice kennel in the garage and they are in there for about 5 hours a day during the week, when in the kennel they must get board cause they chew everything. So we try to keep alot of chewable things in there. They are much happier and stay happier with the two of them. Before when I had a single GSP, she would do anything to get out, I think she could be undo a combo lock. Good Luck on the chewing

Terry

Smile

I have alsways heard bordom and energy is the answer, if my 5 year old lab does not get worked a at least a couple of times a week he gets silly. I do not use rawhide anymore, choking and intestinal problems. I know it seems harsh not to provide a nice bed and rawhide but your pup and you will be happier in the long run. I only give my dog Nylabone while supervised but he is a knucklehead like most labs, gotta love labs.