Thread: black bear distance run when shot/tracking

Default black bear distance run when shot/tracking

Well we are fast approaching my favorite time of year black bear baiting season. I have shot several with rifle, pistol and shotgun, so this year i have been practising with my bow and hopefully will pass my test this weekend so I can hunt them with a bow.

So my questions are how far will they run on average with a good lung shot. I am thinking of using slick tricks 125 heads 70lb compound kodiak bow the shot should be about 15 to 20 yards . the arrows are grizzly stick sitkas a heavy foc arrow.

and after they run what are some of the better tracking methods I have heard of the coleman lantern and saw a flashlight by gerber at sportsmans than is supposed to track blood or just do it the old fashioned way slowly step by step any ideas and comments are appreciated .

Typicallly when firearm hunting i have never had them go more than 5-10 yards so this is new thanks nick

Talking 22 yards

is the farthest mine has ran so far

Default varies on the bear

I had one go 15 yards and roll over, ending up right under my tree. The one this year went about 35 yards, and crashed, then kept standing up, looking around, and laying back down again, for about 10 minutes. Always good to let them lie for at least half an hour, if not longer, before tracking. I was fortunate that it didn't take off again. I don't agree with leaving them all night if you can help it; if you do, be sure to be after them crack of dawn. If its noon before you find one, the meat is going to suffer and likely be a total loss.

Default 30-40

I've shot one. It ran about 30-40 yds. I just looked for blood, no special tricks. Make sure you give the meat a try. Mine was the best game meat I've ever eaten. Good luck.

Default 20-40

20-40 somewhere in there. They usually die in less than 20 seconds.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default just my thoughts

I shot 3 last spring--no big ones, just filling tags and cutting down on predators. The first two were shot with my rifle, the last one with my bow--the bow kill practically died under my tree stand! I think the noise of the gun created a adrenalin rush which makes them run off, where as the bow is silent, yes they are in pain, but they really don't know what has happened.

Good Luck this spring

22 yards. First bowkill. May 21, 2003. Swanson River road. A blood trail a blindman could follow!!

Default no pain

I don't think that the animals are in any pain after getting hit with a sharp broadhead. Ever cut you self with a really sharp blade? A slght burn is about all it, at the moment, of course, days later the cut hurts like h--l. Just the other night I was watching Primos Truth About Hunting, and the team was hunting caribou. One of the bulls was hit in the boiler room, trotted off, stoped and grazed a mouthfull, resumed trotting and dropped dead. Sure did'nt act like he was feeling any pain.

Shot mine last spring with the 125 slick tricks. Double lunged high entrance low exit. It went maybe 50 yards. It was down in 20 seconds. Not a real good blood trail until just before it went down. This is about the average blood that I found until the last few yards. Did not really need to trail it as I heard it go down.

Default Archery Blackies

I've shot one with a bow and had a few friend take blackies with bows. Those bears didn't go further than five yards. From my experience, they run less/die quicker with an properly placed arrow than with a bullet. Biggest thing is practice and try to visualize the shot when you practice. Good Luck!

Default Variable distances

A lot depends on how alert the bear is. I've been in on about 20 black bears taken by bow. A decent hit, lungs or heart, generally takes about 20 seconds to put the bear down. In that time it may cover up to 70 yards -- most are a much shorter distance. Take your time tracking and recovery on a well-shot animal should not be difficult. A bad shot will always be difficult -- especially in the dark. Rule one -- make a good shot and the arrow will do the job quickly.

Default Not Far If Hit Good

I watched my buddy shoot 2 big black bear over bait with his 70lb compound and muzzy 3-blade heads. Both bears went about a 100 feet. Arrows went through both lungs. He is shooting about 30 feet from the bait barrel. The last bear he got was 6'9" taken on west side cook inlet

Glendale, Arizona, United States, 104002769637127, Glendale, Arizona

Depends on shot placement, last year mine was double lung, heart and ran about 15 yds, dead within 20-30 seconds. Keep practicing. My setup last year was Mathews XT 63lbs, FMJ 340 with 125 gr montec total arrow weight was 510 grs, shooting at 246 FPS. Not fast, but was complete pass through and arroe stuck in log behind bear, 26 yds. Also ensure your broadheads are surgical sharp, open heart surgery sharp....

20-50 yards is where I had them run. It all depends on shot placement. Also there are times where you made a perfect shot and for some unknown reason this ran further then any other bear you shot. I had this happen before.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I lunged my with a rocky mountain broadhead 125gr 1 1/4 diameter. He went at best 30 yards and just plopped over. Like was said before. A blond man could have followed the trail. I was just estatic seeing the blood on the arrow knowing it was a great shot. Got it on video too as my buddy was in the tree next to me
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

30 yards is the average and some have been less. The arrow buzzing through em with a "WELL" placed shot doesn't kick in their adrenaline like a gun does and they die very fast. It really doesn't matter if they know you are there or not. I shot one at 8 yards on the ground with the bear dialed in on me and approaching me, he ran 20 yards and piled up hollaring. Now a bear thats hit poorly....good luck, the fur soaks up blood with the quickness leaving you the spotiest blood trail you could ask for and they can go forever mildly wounded.

I've shot 2, 1 dropped dead right where he was standing and the other crawled about 10 feet. First one was shot through both shoulders and the other through the spine above the shoulders with an arrow, broadhead went completely through the spine.

Default 30 yds AVE

I'd say the average distance of "Recovered" black bears arrowed over bait has been less than yds. Double lung, quartering away results in an increadable hemorage path provided the broadhead is razor sharp and the arrows are well tuned to the bow and flying straight. Don't care how they field tips fly at paper at 20 yds, it's how the broadheads fly in the field that matters.

Some have gone only 5- 10 yds, others up to 50. We've seen liver only shots go around 50-75 yds.

The more I hunt them, the more I am concerned about scary surgical sharp broadheads. They dull if you shoot them so change blades often, they dull in the bow quivers too.

Well worth the $10-20 for extra blades every once in a while.

Very nice to watch them die close instead of busting brush.