Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloudveil or Simms, that is the question!

Default Cloudveil or Simms, that is the question!

So,

I need to get a new set of waders, and want to step away from neoprene, into breathables!

I know Simms has quite the reputation, and Cloudveil is supposed to be quite nice as well..

The two models in question are:

Simms G3 Guide Waders

Cloudveil 8x Waders

Which set and why?

simms puts the seams on the front of the leg, therefore simms is better. However you can get heavily discounted cloudveils on sierra trading post and cloudveils are very good, just not quite as durable. You can also buy simms from brad and its always good to support local bussinesses.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default thoughts

I read all winter long and have read all the gear write ups that have been done. While many many of my friends fish with simms I might have just got lucky. I have a pair of Hodgemans that I paid 119.00 for 2 years ago. This will be my 3rd year on them. I have never had any issues with them. I picked up an extra pair last year at the "show" for 59.00. dont get me wrong, Im not bushwacking with them in any way. I am just floating the Kenai or piddling around the russian chasing bows or reds. They are very comfortable and paired with a great pair of boots (which cost as much as the waders) I am totally happy. Just my cheap thoughts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default One Half Dozen or the Other

Sorry brother can't say either are better than most on the market. Kinda like reels and rods some people state they would only etc...

I guide in in Orvis never have had an issue and would not trade them for anything. In and out of a raft 40 times of day. Going on three years to date with my last pair.

Just food for thought.

Moose-O

The ones which fit you. Simms and Cloudveil are totally different fits. Try them on before buying either one.

I do not personally like the construction of any of the simms models, for me. Seems like design gone silly. There isn't enough room in the chest (and certainly not enough if you have fleece layers), the boot feet are too large for any human being, the material is too stiff, there isn't enough elastic in the suspenders, there are some dumb features on the higher end model (zipper - unnecessary, velcro belt holders that come apart) and so on and so on. I tried the upper end model cloudveil recently at a fishing show and liked the fit and flex of the material much better than simms, but they don't sell these around me so I can't comment any more on them.

Go with the Simms G3's. It will be the best decision you ever made. I got mine at the "show" last year, and have never looked back. I fish hard, and do not own a raft or boat, so durability was an important factor. Friends of mine were not happy with the cloudveils they purchased because of there lack of durability. I know that Simms are expensive, but it has been some of the best money I have ever spent on fishing gear! Before my Simms, I owned three pairs of the hodgman breathable waders, and they all leaked about two months after I bought them. Not one pair ever made it through a whole season.
    Last edited by Woody; 03-25-2008 at 16:03. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Sorry brother can't say either are better than most on the market. Kinda like reels and rods some people state they would only etc...

I guide in in Orvis never have had an issue and would not trade them for anything. In and out of a raft 40 times of day. Going on three years to date with my last pair.

Just food for thought.

Moose-O

What model Orvis?

I kind of like the booted Tailwater XT's

I'm gonna vote for the simms, depending on price. They both have great warranty, but if you have to send them in.......well what good are super nice waders when they are in the shop? I have a Cloudveil 8x wading jacket, but unless I could get the 8x waders at least 40% off I would buy Simms.

Default Simms

I also have a pair of Simms G3 waders. I would vote for them. I've never tried on a pair of cloudevils, but I abesolutely LOVE my simms so far. Just need to invest in a pair of boots worth wearing next.

orvis waders are not very good for the $$$ like everything else they make, overpriced and underperforming. If you are goona spend $350 on a pair of waders get simms.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Interesting AKPM

I have been fishing in Orvis Waders for 20 plus years and have never had a bad pair.
    Prior to moving to AK I consistantly fished over 130 days per year mostly on rivers and almost always in a pair of Orvis Waders.

I currently fish in their Silver Label Waist Highs and would not trade them for another wader for the intended purpose they are utilized for. I even hunt in them in the fall and have never had an issue. That is not to say they do not put a bad product out once in a while just as any other manufacture does and or will.

I have also used Simms, Ranger, Hodgeman, Pro Line, and Cabela's. I will continue to use Orivs. The Silver Labels run under $200.00 and seem to be a work horse for me.

The tuffest wader I have ever used is a Ranger model they no longer make they were bullet proof IMO.

Default check out the shows

Check out the Great Outdoors Show in Wasilla this weekend or the Great Alaska Sportsman show in Anchorage next weekend, and see if you can try on a few pairs of each. Get the pair that fits best! Even if durability is an issue with the cloudveil, they'll be discounted 30-40% at a few of the fly shops, so if you get just over half the life out of them you're ahead of the game, as long as they fit you well. The Simms/Cloudveil debate is similar to the Ford/Chevy debate. Both sides have great points, they both have detractors too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I have been fishing in Orvis Waders for 20 plus years and have never had a bad pair.
    Prior to moving to AK I consistantly fished over 130 days per year mostly on rivers and almost always in a pair of Orvis Waders.

I currently fish in their Silver Label Waist Highs and would not trade them for another wader for the intended purpose they are utilized for. I even hunt in them in the fall and have never had an issue. That is not to say they do not put a bad product out once in a while just as any other manufacture does and or will.

I have also used Simms, Ranger, Hodgeman, Pro Line, and Cabela's. I will continue to use Orivs. The Silver Labels run under $200.00 and seem to be a work horse for me.

The tuffest wader I have ever used is a Ranger model they no longer make they were bullet proof IMO.

Funny, I have been wearing Simms waders now for 11 years and luv them. The new G3 is not as tough as the original Guide Classic, but are really comfortable.

As for Orvis... NO F>>>>> WAY.... The first and only pair I bought I was preparing a shore lunch on the Kamashak R and put a hole in them the first day..... Had been doing shore lunches w/ Simms all summer and never had a problem. That summer was 2000 and I was at an Orvis Endorsed lodge that is why I had them as a back up pair to my Simms.... Never again.

Fall of 2006, worked for another Orvis endorced lodge that equiped all 9 guides w/ free waders and jackets........ Guess what... even new these waders had all types of issues.... The guides where wearing their Simms even though they where suppose to wear Orvis. There only bright spot where the boot foot that they provided for the guests.... The jacket went much better and leaked right out of the box!!!

Orvis breathable materials are Over hyped, over sold and not worthy for the conditions that we face in Alaska..... They are good for hanging in the closet and that is about it.

After 8 pairs of Simms in 11 Summmers and 11 winters of abuse... SIMMS all the way!

Default Sorry to Hear the issues

Guess I am just the lucky one with a good product review concerning Orvis. Until I have an issue I will have to stick with my comments.

Honest I have no vested interest in promoting the product just never had a problem with them and trust me I abuse my gear with the best of them.

Well, I ended up with a pair of Simms G3 Guides - I chose them because I was able to try them on here in town and they fit well. Cant wait to try em out this Spring!

Default Good Choice!!!

I have been using the same pair of Simms G3's since spring of 2003. The last year I decided to buy another pair with the expectation my current pair would fail soon, and they are starting to look a bit haggard--to say the elast. I fish a lot--need to start keeping track of how many days a year--and these have been put through hell--and taken it at every step. I will likely buy another pair this season so I have them ready to go when these finally give out---but will keep using them until they do. I am sold on simms all the way.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Good choice

Thumbs up! Good choice, and done right: tried them on, they fit, they have a great reputation, and you bought local. I've worn Simms many years, and am amazed at the abuse they take, and the comfort they provide.

Default I've got them both....

and I have had to send both of them back within two months of getting them....the Simms had a big leak in the crotch...that was fun in October....and the Cloudveils had a stocking foot seam that leaked after two months....at least my cabelas dry plus cheapies didn't leak for three months, and I didn't mind gooping up a 100 dollar pair of waders (three years later, I still got em) ...I don't think either is worth the price tag so I'm sniffin for what my next pair will be after these are worn out.

It seems the Simms have a much slimmer fit while the cloudveils seem to bunch on my skinny frame...but as said, it depends on what fits ya. I love them both when they are not leaking. I did send the simms back and they fixed em up great...just wish they would have lasted longer before the first flaw showed up...especially considering the pricetag.

Whatever sierra outpost has on clearance works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    The ones which fit you. Simms and Cloudveil are totally different fits. Try them on before buying either one.

I do not personally like the construction of any of the simms models, for me. Seems like design gone silly. There isn't enough room in the chest (and certainly not enough if you have fleece layers), the boot feet are too large for any human being, the material is too stiff, there isn't enough elastic in the suspenders, there are some dumb features on the higher end model (zipper - unnecessary, velcro belt holders that come apart) and so on and so on. I tried the upper end model cloudveil recently at a fishing show and liked the fit and flex of the material much better than simms, but they don't sell these around me so I can't comment any more on them.

You can custom order your waders from Simms. For an extra $40 you can get what ever size booties you want put on whatever waders. I ordered the G3's in stout (for my girthiness) I wanted as much chest room as possible so I got 3XL stout with size 9-11 booties. This combination gave my upper body room for lots of layering while having the proper length legs and the right size booties. The extra $40 for custom fit waders is cheap when your comfort is important.
    Just my .02

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast