Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus .44 mags, decent gun?

Default Taurus .44 mags, decent gun?

I am looking for a nice short barreled .44 that doesnt break the bank. Taurus has a few I like. I know the gun is not really capable of buffalo bore or max spec ammo, but with a nice factory load is this a reliable gun I can feel safe at the streams with? Or do I need to spend the extra coin and get a Smith and Wesson? Thanks in advance.

Default Go with a Ruger

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, but if you are willing to spend the extra $$ on the S&W - get a Ruger. They make a nice 4" Redhawk (have one) or the shorter 2" and change Super Redhawk Alaskan is nice too. The Ruger can handle the Buffalo Bore, Garretts or other hot 44 mag ammo. Cruise around this forum and you'll find lots of great info on 44mag loads and commercial ammo available.

Taurus 44s suck. If you want to shoot the biggest and baddest regularly, get the Ruger. if you are gonna carry it more than you shoot it, get the smith

Default S&W vs Ruger vs Taurus

I think we can all agree that the Taurus are generally unreliable junk although some of them apparently work fine - Taurus is still lacking in the QC dept.

S&W have better strength to weight ratio primarily because they use machined forgings instead of investment castings. Probably only one one shooter out of a thousand ever would shoot a S&W enought to be better off with a Ruger. One the other hand the S&W is lighter and less bulky and will withstand more heavy loads than most shooters will fire in several life times. I've shot my 629 far more than most people will ever shoot a .44 Magnum and its still tight as new. I own a number of Rugers also; they both have their place. S&Ws do cost more, investment casting are a less expensive way to make parts where the strength to weight ratio is not a major concern and surface appearance is not important.

If bulk and weight are no object get a S&W .460 or .500 XFrame - then you really have a hand gun!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They are hit and miss. I owned several over the years and only one turned out to be a nice accurate revolver. And that was a .22 WRM which I still own.
    I would personally avoid buying any.
    Tennessee

Default Taurus 444 multi 44 mag

I know I'm going to take some heat for this post, but, here goes.
    I bought a Taurus 444 multi 44 mag about two months ago.
    I bought it as my wife and I go into the mountains alot and I'm no spring chicken anymore and weight is an issue with me when we hike.
    I was a Federal Firearms Instructor in my past life, but that really doesn't mean squat, I've played with alot of firearms but I've run into guys at ranges that know far more about some things than I do!! But, I can learn from them and I appreciate that more than they know.

My wife and I live in Colorado on the Front Range and are in the mountains with our jeep camping and hiking ALOT. It is our passion. And we go places seems no one else goes.
    Never had a problem with the critters till a big black wanted to share our tent last fall. It was not a fun night.
    Don't have to worry about Grizzly but there are some mighty big blacks here.
    We wanted something that we could take "everywhere up there" and we knew it would get beat. Soooooo - I tried the S&W - very nice but alot of flip -- tried the Taurus -- recoil was straight back alowing me to get on target again much faster. Soooo - that's my reasoning.
    I realize that with enough practice you can get back on any target quick with most any firearm guys "I know" "I know".
    But this one just "fit" for me!
    I have had no problems with the gun and shoot 44mag consistently, full loads only, working on my muscle memory with this piece and I'm happy to say it's coming along nice.
    Ordered up some Keiths from Buffolo Bore. Nice. Pricy, but nice.
    I don't think the recoil from this thing is bad at all. I go six foot 225, I consider myself not a large guy but "normal", (my wife would argue with that.!.)
    I originally didn't expect much untill I shot the Taurus, but I was pleasantly surprised with this revolver and I know I made a good choice.
    It is accurate, seems dependable (and I've pumped ALOT through it._)
    The warranty is great but as with all of us - with any gun, You hope you don't have to EVER use it.

Any gun that I have EVER had to return for warranty (for ANY reason) gets immediately, if not sooner, sold as soon as I get it back -- my creed is

"If it fails once, it WILL fail again".

Design flaw.

And unless you know (and I don't mean biblically) a really, really good gunsmith that you trust implicitly!

And "I know", "I know" guys and gals, This applies to me, I'm not saying it has to apply to you!

Well, there's my ten cents - be easy on me guys, I only have enough energy to type one reply a year. And yes, I know, I know, I know, they are not the best but certainly not the worst - they have come a long, long, way, and I've shot it enough now that I trust it.
    Best to all of you.
    Live life in forward not reverse.

Bang

Stay out of the line of fire.
    If you see me movin fast you can be assured you should be too.

No problems with my light weight Taurus .44 FWIW.

Default Taurus quality

Don't be fooled by the low price and the fad type features found on many Taurus products. I have seen too many people have issues with their products to ever bet my life on one. And, all the magnum pistol in world isn't going to do you any good unless you can actually hit with it under stress and using full house loads. In order to do so, you will have to shoot a lot of loads through the gun. IMO-you are better off with a Smith or Ruger.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I would bet $100 that it is another TPOC..............Taurus Piece of Crap. I have one in 45 colt that makes a great paper weight or door stop so I cant say they are TOTALY worthless.......................
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Unhappy

Ok I get the picture. You get what you pay for. Keeping my eye out for a redhawk for a good price. Maybe at the sportsmans show.

I have a 8 3/4 in one and it shots good and my sister can shot it one handed. I would by another one.

To those of you who are unhappy with your Taurus could you elaborate why you don't like them? What makes them a piece of crap? Are they crappy shooters, did they fall apart, did they ever fail to go bang, etc...? Thanks

Default Taurus

I have a Taurus Tracker in 41 rem mag ,and a 5" 454 and I can't find any fault with them. I also have a S&W 629 Mountain Lion (Mountain Gun style gun) and a few others and I think the Taurus guns will last as long. I have seen a few issues with S&W such as a S&W 629 leaving dual lines around the cylinder from shooting too many heavy loads in it and another that was for sale on this site last week that would not fire every time. Taurus has come along way from their earlier guns so don't be to quick to judge them without trying them.

Default Taurus as good as others

I was almost unwilling to enter this fray due to the emotional negative responses. Many of those comments seem to be based on "I like my (S&W or Ruger) so it's better" and seem to be short on substance (knowledge) for the negativity. The original question was whether the Taurus .44 mag is a decent firearm. I have owned S&W .357 and .44 mag, and have shot Rugers in .44 mag, all of which were good firearms. I also shot the Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag, found it to be a fine-shooting firearm, and saw nothing negative in the firearm. I wanted a .454 Casull and based on my experience with S&W, Ruger and Taurus purchased a Taurus Raging Bull. My Taurus seems to be as good as either of the S&Ws, the action is smooth, it feels good in my hand and puts the bullet where is supposed to go. The felt recoil is less than the .44 mag S&W because its is ported, but the muzzleblast is stronger for the same reason. The rear sight had shipping damage and Taurus replaced it quickly and without cost. I have seen no reason not to purchase a Taurus firearm in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I think we can all agree that the Taurus are generally unreliable junk although some of them apparently work fine - Taurus is still lacking in the QC dept.

S&W have better strength to weight ratio primarily because they use machined forgings instead of investment castings. Probably only one one shooter out of a thousand ever would shoot a S&W enought to be better off with a Ruger. One the other hand the S&W is lighter and less bulky and will withstand more heavy loads than most shooters will fire in several life times. I've shot my 629 far more than most people will ever shoot a .44 Magnum and its still tight as new. I own a number of Rugers also; they both have their place. S&Ws do cost more, investment casting are a less expensive way to make parts where the strength to weight ratio is not a major concern and surface appearance is not important.

If bulk and weight are no object get a S&W .460 or .500 XFrame - then you really have a hand gun!
    Kind of off topic here but it is my understanding that the boxed frame on the S&Ws was weaker than the Ruger design. It would make sense that they would use a stronger production technique for their larger guns but the Rugers are near bombproof. I doubt that even with the "weaker" production technique that S&W could withstand the same beating given the larger number of stress points on the S&W. Don't take this as me saying the S&W is a weak gun, they are definitely strong but there is more too it than one production technique versus another. Case and point, why hasn't Smith offered up anything hotter than a 44 in a non-X-frame revolver? Why did they feel the need to make the X-frame to begin with?

Maybe a smith could chime in here.

Thumbs down Taurus

Ruger is the only way to go!

Anything but a Taurus!

I have seen more broken, worn out and generally crap Tauruses (Tauri?) than Carters little pills. You pays your $$ you takes your chances.

I went with the Smith 329 Scandium it is very light when carried in a chest holster and is as rust proof as a gun could be.They are a little pricey but nice.

The smaller Taurus 44's have a bad rep, and it's well-deserved. The most problematic gun I've seen (had more than 50% of them come back to the store) was the Tracker 44 mag. It just seems to beat itself to death within a relatively short period of time. Cylinder lockup was the common problem.

On another note, the Raging Bulls and Trackers in 357 mag seem to be great. Very few problems with those guns at all.

Buy the Ruger... they're not much more and you will be getting what you pay for. I have very little use for most Ruger autos and generally prefer a good S&W wheelgun, but Ruger's Redhawks are arguably the best available .44 mags on the market (not counting customs and high-dollar rigs like FA of course). They are proven to outlast the higher-dollar 629's and such with hot and heavy loads.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default wheel guns

Freedom Arms is you can afford it , Ruger if you can't . Is there anything else ? Never heard of anything .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast