Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge Alaskan

Default Wooldridge Alaskan

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a Wooldridge Alaskan 17ft. It comes w/ a Suzuki 115/80hp. I guess my questions are, Is the wooldridge (Alaskan) really the extreme shallow runner they say it is? Also is the Suzuki four stoke as equal to all the other motors. And is this worth a $25K price tag.

Would help if you would state what year the boat, motor and trailer if any) was. Condition of the boat, extras, etc.
    But yes, they do run great in rivers.
    Tennessee

I have a 2006 Alaskan 17.5 soft top with a 115 Suzuki. I have over 150 hours with no problems that were not dealer induced. If you are serious about buying one PM me your phone number and I will gladly answer any questions that you may have.

Boat is new was only used once by the dealer. The boat, motor, and trailor are 07 models. It is a center console w/ two box seats and I belive a 39 gl center hull fuel tank. I may be off on the fuel tank but its in the ball park

Default Wooldridge

Yes they are a great boat, do a search for Wooldridge on this forum and you will have plenty of reading on everything Wooldridge. Have them show you the Wooldridge dvd it has some great shallow running of all their jet models. If they don't have it I can get you one.

I am heading down to the factory to drive my new inboard in a few days. The Suzuki 115 ob's have a gear reduction in the gear case, so you can run the larger 150 hp impeller in them, no more speed but much better load hauling. This should be a great fishing fishing /duck hunting rig, I'd like to try it out on the placer.
    There is some good info on their web page under brochures for fuel consumption and loads on several of the Alaskan models. I just saw 2 new Alaskans arrive this week a 17 and a 20 windshield model, no engines so you could pick your power.

Default Good Boat!

The wooldridge boats are AWESOME, yes they run shallow!!! You will love the boat, AND the motor. Suzuki got some awards last yr, was it the JD powers award? Bottom line is suzuki is a very good motor, and will last a long time. Suzuki had a 7yr warrenty for 2007, see if you can get that transfered to you free! I would bet you will be very happy with this boat.

Default Wooldrige

I was told there was a five year warranty still remaining on the motor. Thanks for the nudge guys. Dirtofak I'm going out of town, but will get in touch w/ you when i get back in. Again thanks for the help guys.

If I needed a boat similar to the Wooldridge you just posted I would jump on that deal. Don't put it off or someone will snatch it away from under you.
    Tennessee

1st check to see if they are going to honor the hull warrentee. Normally it goes to 1st owner only and this was the dealers demo boat(?).

The reason I am bring this up is we just finished a repair on a Woolie with cracked stringers. The owner's of boats built prior to '07 would be wise to pull their floors and look for cracks at or near all welds on their stringers, especially the two that run the length of the boat. They two pieced these and welded them together and they are breaking apart. The second part is look at where the stringers attach to the hull, last look at the point securing your fuel cell.

This is not just some crazy rumor.....I seen a boat (An '03 ? I believe with about 100+ hours, a dealers demo boat) with a huge amount of cracked welds. Woolridge changed their design and are now running gussets on all their welds especially the two long stringers.

I will see if I can get the pics of Woolies design change to protect the innocent and pictures of the cracks. Woolridge stepped up and paid the bill but...........

but, what?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    1st check to see if they are going to honor the hull warrentee. Normally it goes to 1st owner only and this was the dealers demo boat(?).

The reason I am bring this up is we just finished a repair on a Woolie with cracked stringers. The owner's of boats built prior to '07 would be wise to pull their floors and look for cracks at or near all welds on their stringers, especially the two that run the length of the boat. They two pieced these and welded them together and they are breaking apart. The second part is look at where the stringers attach to the hull, last look at the point securing your fuel cell.

This is not just some crazy rumor.....I seen a boat (An '03 ? I believe with about 100+ hours, a dealers demo boat) with a huge amount of cracked welds. Woolridge changed their design and are now running gussets on all their welds especially the two long stringers.

I will see if I can get the pics of Woolies design change to protect the innocent and pictures of the cracks. Woolridge stepped up and paid the bill but...........
    Since it is a known problem, I guess I should expect a call from my dealer or Wooldridge so they can inspect it and have it repaired before summer? I won't hold my breath.

Default Wooldridge

Here is "The rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say" I am guessing that the Boat Dupont Spinner is speaking of is TBLOOMAS, all Sports were changed 4 years back, read this and it explanes it all.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=wooldridge

Just got back from Anchorage with the new baby, drove up on Monday morning, back to Whitehorse last night, glad the roads were good. Anyone see this rig on the road??
    First thing i'm pulling the floor boards just to have a look, build up the transom and sides as well just so i don't have to use the spacer under the OB.
    Can't wait for break-up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (127.2 KB, 35 views)

[quote=akhounddog;236891]I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a Wooldridge Alaskan 17ft. It comes w/ a Suzuki 115/80hp. I guess my questions are, Is the wooldridge (Alaskan) really the extreme shallow runner they say it is? Also is the Suzuki four stoke as equal to all the other motors. And is this worth a $25K price tag.[/quote

That is one hell of a set up! light weight and will do dang near every thing you need to do on rivers! Great combo.

Default WB Alaskan

Thanks again guys for all the help. It sounds like this is the one. Now its time to turn up the heat on the old lady.

Nice boat and great for shallow water. Friend of mine has on 17 alaskan and 115 on it. And that is fast and can go in 6" of water when jet on. I`m looking the same combo as you, that one has 115 mercury optimax on it. I`ts a 2004 model sport and he is askin 25k. Is that too much?

Here are some shots of the two piece stringers. Mine are just fine. 17.5 Ak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (187.7 KB, 66 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (142.8 KB, 56 views)

akomppa,
    That seems like to much for that boat. I paid alittle over 27,000 for a 2007 with a suzuki 115 efi in the spring of 2007. I am not sure what year 05 or 04 but they added 6 inches of width to the bottom and a couple to the sides. I have heard the extra bottom width makes the boat handle that much better. After all of the talk of cracks I did pull the decking and look at the bottom. It is just fine. I put alot hours on the Yukon in some big waves and no problem. Now I just need to find an affordable lower unit with a prop and I will be set. Anyone know of any?

Default AK Hounddog

Do you need a special steering wheel?
    Wondering if your dewclaws will hang up on the tight turns?

Quote Originally Posted by akomppa View Post
    Nice boat and great for shallow water. Friend of mine has on 17 alaskan and 115 on it. And that is fast and can go in 6" of water when jet on. I`m looking the same combo as you, that one has 115 mercury optimax on it. I`ts a 2004 model sport and he is askin 25k. Is that too much?
    25k for that year and set up is way to much money! You could do much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast